About Sosua violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi there folks,

Just a quick remark on the original post 12 pages ago...I live here down in Sosua, I live and enjoy my life here as it comes and go, but however if I may have an honest remark, lately and especially since the last 2 weeks when I pass Pedro Clisante (especially evening/night) I have counted 23 children (shoe shiners or whatever they do) sleeping and bumping into people on the streets ....
even like yesterday afternoon..they are just rude(not all of them) towards people, fighting with eachother etc...some i know and i try to talk into them, but no use anymore then before...

It is sad to see, 1st. to see those children being lost and surrendered into the world and second to see nobody does 1 single thing to solve this issu..
yes crime is became a huge problem, some are pickpockets, there are even older kids around(12-13 year old)...looking at you like you are a ghost or a potentional victim (who knows?) i am not the one to judge...but what can You expect if no one does anything about it...

I am a very tolerant person with understanding, but nowadays i need and walk around with my eyes all over watching myself..i wished i could do something ..if i had the money..i would put up a shelter etc...even when it is only to give them a chance to go somewhere, away from all the misery what became into their lifes no matter what it caused...

Anyway folks, this was just some i wanted to share...
Let us just enjoy the DR but with the knowledge that we are better off then them even when we have no job or less then when we where in our country...

Keep that smile up...and God bless
Coralia
A shelter is a great idea. I'm sure Sosua has people that would volunteer to help out. Hopefully someone will approach city hall after the elections with the idea. I'm also certain that all the businesses (At least I hope) would contribute a little $$ to help get things going. A further contribution from the Dominican Gov. and who know, the Haitian Gov. All that's needed is an honest administration to make sure the $$ goes where it's supposed to go. Maybe subject of a new thread if anybody has ideas.

bayman

Jan 23, 2010
Sosua has a diversified culture, which makes it unique, and appealing to some folks. On my limited visits, he is my observations of things and two cents;

Non - Dominican (expat)
1. Those that live there full time and are retired
2. Those that live there and are involved in work/business ventures
Non - Dominican (tourist)
1. The A1 tourist
2. The non AI tourist (family, couples, etc.)
3. The non AI tourist ( in search of chicas)
Non - Dominican (Haitian)
1. They are 'expat' in a sense

Dominican
1. Local (El Batey, Charamicos, etc)
2. Not local

Now throw in a healthy dose of corruption (police, administrators), limited social services, putas offering services 24 hours a day on one of the main streets, bars everywhere open till 2/3 AM, firearm culture, massive Haitian poverty across the border, and you have a good mix for almost anything goes.

NOW - add the drug culture, which I gather was almost non existant until say 5/7 years ago. Whether it is trafficking or local use, this is major problem, on top of all the rest. But apart from some expats being involved in major international deals, the average Sosua expat and tourist stays away from this, it is only the locals that are involved, so the vast majority of violence and related crime should not affect non - Dominicans, unless you are unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (crossfire, or mistaken identity) OR if the problem continues to escalate, you can be mugged and robbed for anything of value in any part of town.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
My bad, I thought of him after I posted. Wolfgang is an OK guy and I'm sure with everyone's help things will get going.

Hey, no problem, I get senior moments too :cheeky:.

Wouldn't it be great if after a couple of relatively argumentative threads about the Sosua issues (mercifully, most of the internecine fighting talk is no longer visible) everyone found a focal point which they felt able to support?

May 29, 2006
Sosua has a diversified culture, which makes it unique, and appealing to some folks. On my limited visits, he is my observations of things and two cents;

Non - Dominican (expat)
1. Those that live there full time and are retired
2. Those that live there and are involved in work/business ventures
Non - Dominican (tourist)
1. The A1 tourist
2. The non AI tourist (family, couples, etc.)
3. The non AI tourist ( in search of chicas)
Non - Dominican (Haitian)
1. They are 'expat' in a sense

Dominican
1. Local (El Batey, Charamicos, etc)
2. Not local

There are also Haitians who are semi-permanent and those who have kids, many born in the DR. It seems some of the Haitian women are often working up a business ladder starting with street walking, then low-end massage parlors, then working into beauty services such as nails and hair weaving(mostly for the tourist trade). Of course there are those who stay in the sex industry, but ironically I think they are often pushed out by Dominican women in the business and bar tenders into more legit jobs.

The non-local Dominicans can also be divided into seasonal people migrating up for tourist season and those living in the campo or PP who come to Sosua at the very peak of tourist season or just before Christmas to get extra money.

The complex social make-up of Sosua would certainly be a good thesis for a Sociology student.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
there are a few other categories
- people that have never been that write as if they have
-people that have never been for 5 years or more
- people that pretend not to like the place but have lived there for years

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
My offer

Please occupy Sosua Bay Resort and Larimar. Both are properties my family has had stolen out from under them.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Tonight

there was a meeting with the subminisrer of SECTUR, Politur, some local fatcats and others at Sosua Bay Hotel, jawing about what they hope to do with the street kids....and of course prostitution always comes up, among other things. An orphanage would be nice. Have been a couple confrontations lately with these little street urchins, but they're just hungry and preying on innocent tourists, who often take pity and oblige them with a meal or a few coins. It will eventually come to a head, I just hope it's not ugly.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Honest work

there was a meeting with the subminisrer of SECTUR, Politur, some local fatcats and others at Sosua Bay Hotel, jawing about what they hope to do with the street kids....and of course prostitution always comes up, among other things. An orphanage would be nice. Have been a couple confrontations lately with these little street urchins, but they're just hungry and preying on innocent tourists, who often take pity and oblige them with a meal or a few coins. It will eventually come to a head, I just hope it's not ugly.

Someone on Dr1 asked me to explain Easy Money. Easy money is selling your body, selling drugs, working for the Sosua mob. The opposite of easy money is hard earned money. Why should Dominicans teach, heal, scrub toilets, work as maids, etc., when one year on the streets can earn them more money than a year of "honest" work. Especially when your employers want to fire you for getting pregnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.