Address in Puerto Plata for Drivers licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Now that my residency is approved I want to get a valid DL here in the DR.

All info including address, phone number, answers to the test, name of number of hombre that takes the test for you etc

Thanks

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
who knows the address? most likely they do not know either! :)

the place is very close to the stadium, off the main road, close to rotonda. probably the easiest way to go there is to turn right after the rotonda towards the malecon, drive a 100-150 meters, pass the stadium and pass driving school shacks and take right again, at the corner where portofino is. drive all the way to the end of the street, it curves around the stadium. you will see the place of your left.

before you go there you need to visit any banreservas branch, present your cedula there and say you are paying for the license. then you take the factura to the transport office. you will need nothing else. they take pictures and fingerprints right there.

i think the test is still dead easy, even a non spanish speaking moron can do it - i know because i passed :) you'd see a short animated scene and then a question that goes something like: was this correct?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
who knows the address? most likely they do not know either! :)

the place is very close to the stadium, off the main road, close to rotonda. probably the easiest way to go there is to turn right after the rotonda towards the malecon, drive a 100-150 meters, pass the stadium and pass driving school shacks and take right again, at the corner where portofino is. drive all the way to the end of the street, it curves around the stadium. you will see the place of your left.

before you go there you need to visit any banreservas branch, present your cedula there and say you are paying for the license. then you take the factura to the transport office. you will need nothing else. they take pictures and fingerprints right there.

i think the test is still dead easy, even a non spanish speaking moron can do it - i know because i passed :) you'd see a short animated scene and then a question that goes something like: was this correct?

Thanks....Best Answer Ever....!

That's all I need and will give the directions to my little mule " Peppie " .

Mucho Grracias !

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
I already called that number and it was disconnected

I was going to call him too this week to arrange...I dont know Puerto Plata so directions wont help plus my Spanish is pretty much non existant.If anyone one has a new contact number for this guy or anyone else who would offer same service would be helpful...I know some of you said its easy to do it yourself but i was also told that about Residency and I was happy I went with a lawyer

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i suggest you go to any driving schools on the strips, escuela de choferes richard is helpful... tell them you have a licence already (from your home country) and you need a dominican one, without bothering to take the exam. they will know who to pay.

god. i love corruption. :)

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
i suggest you go to any driving schools on the strips, escuela de choferes richard is helpful... tell them you have a licence already (from your home country) and you need a dominican one, without bothering to take the exam. they will know who to pay.

I was thinking of that as well by making a photo copy so I don't lose my other DL

The price for a driving license some years back was: One big bottle of Baileys, and some 1000 pesos.

It could be the price has changed now, and please remember this was the price for a Gringo who had been living here some time.
--

Ah almost forgot, the example i told of here has nothing to do with the Escuela de Choferes dv8 mentions.

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012
walking into one of those places and trying to communicate that would probably end up me been behind bars .Any contact for someone who will go with or does the VIP thing would be better...funny how sometimes you have to do things here illegal to be legal:D

CARIBETORNO

May 3, 2013
My mami never took a drivers license test. they just gave her one jajajaja. they said she knows how to drive.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I already called that number and it was disconnected

Mike, look at post #20 in the paste above... it describes where Gabriel usually spends his day.

His number changes all the time...

But truly, you will pass the test - as described above, its a series of animated road situations..... you may not even be req'd to take a road test - I wasn't.

And you do not need to surrender your foreign license - as you do in the US or Canada..... never even show it

May 20, 2012
Mike, look at post #20 in the paste above... it describes where Gabriel usually spends his day.

His number changes all the time...

But truly, you will pass the test - as described above, its a series of animated road situations..... you may not even be req'd to take a road test - I wasn't.

And you do not need to surrender your foreign license - as you do in the US or Canada..... never even show it

Thank you for all your posts!!

I want to know what to expect to pay for assistance, at least ballpark. Below is what I think your posts explained, but please correct me if I am in any way mistaken.

If I understood, for RD$4K, both you and your wife got permits & licenses using Gabriel (AKA Sosua school). Or was it RD$4K for each of you?

For this fee, Gabriel takes you (or you go separately?) from Sosua to POP, helps you with everything from paperwork, pictures, fingerprints, etc. to taking written test, and you leave with a learners permit. At some point same day, he goes to the bank and pays the government fees of RD$?? (extra $ or included?). Then, 45 days later, he takes you back to get your actual drivers license, and his original fee includes this second trip and service and government fees.

The phone number for posted for Gabriel is not correct, and I have not yet found him where you indicated. But if these are close to the correct money numbers, I will spend more time/ effort tracking him down. It would be well worth it to take all the stress out of this. We want to get this off our list.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Common sense should tell you that you can't get all this for 2 persons for 4K Pesos!

As I understand 4000 is per person and everything else is to pay on top of this. You think this guy does that without making a profit for himself? Why should he?

@william:

I might very well want to use his services and even come from PC so he can do it for me. Just tomorrow I was planning to call him, now I read the # is not longer valid... any chance to get in touch besides that number? Thanks!

I want to know what to expect to pay for assistance, at least ballpark. Below is what I think your posts explained, but please correct me if I am in any way mistaken.

If I understood, for RD$4K, both you and your wife got permits & licenses using Gabriel (AKA Sosua school). Or was it RD$4K for each of you?

For this fee, Gabriel takes you (or you go separately?) from Sosua to POP, helps you with everything from paperwork, pictures, fingerprints, etc. to taking written test, and you leave with a learners permit. At some point same day, he goes to the bank and pays the government fees of RD$?? (extra $ or included?). Then, 45 days later, he takes you back to get your actual drivers license, and his original fee includes this second trip and service and government fees.

The phone number for posted for Gabriel is not correct, and I have not yet found him where you indicated. But if these are close to the correct money numbers, I will spend more time/ effort tracking him down. It would be well worth it to take all the stress out of this. We want to get this off our list.

May 20, 2012
Common sense should tell you that you can't get all this for 2 persons for 4K Pesos!

As I understand 4000 is per person and everything else is to pay on top of this. You think this guy does that without making a profit for himself? Why should he?
After reading several different threads, the government fees were unclear and that's why I asked for clarification. One thread said RD$300, which sounds about right. But another said RD$3000, which is nearly half of the average Dominican's monthly income.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

@william:

I might very well want to use his services and even come from PC so he can do it for me. Just tomorrow I was planning to call him, now I read the # is not longer valid... any chance to get in touch besides that number? Thanks!

If you reread the old thread, I offered his number - somebody corrected me , added the new number and his name.

That person might be able to help you.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry... the test is easy.
As we have all suggested at some point, speak to a local drivers school... they know the ropes. - or take a trusted employee from a complex or hotel - for 2-3000 pesos to translate for you.

Many legal offices have English speaking employees.

It was Abuela who knew the number .

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few things: the government fee is about 2500 pesos in total. you pay 1380 for learners permit and then 990 for the licence.
please see below all prices and requisitions:
Republica Dominicana, Dominican Republic

the government page listing all details for learners permit:
www.gob.do - Carnet de aprendizaje para mayores de 18 a?os

for full licence:
www.gob.do - Emisi?n de primera licencia categor?a 02

for changing your foreign license to dominican one:
www.gob.do - Cambio de licencia de conducir extranjera a dominicana

details of the POP office:
Encargado: Porfirio Rodriguez
Direcci?n: Avenida Hermanas Mirabal Edificio Ministerio de Obras P?blicas, Sector Puerto Plata, C?digo Postal 57000, PUERTO PLATA, Provincia PUERTO PLATA
Referencia Detras del Estadio Jos? Brice?o
Horario de servicio Lunes a viernes de 8:00 a.m. a 4:30 p.m.
Tel?fono 809-244-4084

MANGOS

Jul 24, 2012

If you find Gabriel or someone like him please post a contact for them.Myself and my wife are also looking at getting this done ASAP so we are legal.Were also trying othe people and also checking some lawyers.If we find anything out we will post

Status
Not open for further replies.