Adjusting to your new country.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I am amased of how a person can change in four years, I see my self so different now compared how I was when I moved to the US... Now I am proud of driving a nice 2008 Ford crown Victoria, mind set in small four cylinders car any more now I am looking for power and confort...

I have left behing my poor Dominican mentality!

My 1997 Toyota Camry in seating in the garage on jack stands...

Haha

JJ

nethelia

Nov 16, 2012
divorce.laws.com
Working In K.S.A

I"m so excited and nervous when I receive my visa & ticket going to K.S.A. b'coz this is my first working in abroad so i feel very nervous.it very different in my country when I'm start working there. the people,the clothes, the language the food. its very hard for me to adjust. B'coz there speaking is Arabic and its my first time to work so i did not understand what talking about. some people did not understand how to speak English. So I need to adjust and study their language. After a months i know how to speak there language.

thank you very much.

dogstar

Oct 24, 2004
OK I understand the money home bs, but count me out. I lived w/my wife for 6 years before we married,and came to the US after 2 years of marriage. While in the DR I told my wife I married you not your family, you I will support not them, as you know the extended family can link the whole island. When some got sick and MAMI came to the wife(me) for assistance me, I suggested that every member of the family chip 50peso and that would cover the med bill. They just look at me now and pound thier elbows on the table...WHAT. One problem is the rental property we have there, the leasee pays MAMI. with so many grandkids getting sick and everyone knows MAMI has the gringos pesos, well there goes our DR savings.

Oh for Johana, you say your husband has his own bank account, you don't have to talk about sending money, he can send all he wants from his account.
My wife doesn't work, still working on her English, after shopping in malls a dozen times and me paying for everything. I decided to give her some money before going into the mall, anything she wanted would come out of that....boy did she get cheap fast. There is nothing harder than for Dominicana then to spend her money. OH! I never got any change from the money even if she bought nothing.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
For the first four years of my life here in US I saw the amount of mails arriving at my house on my wife's name, very few not to say nothing on my name.

It looks like I'm the man now, most of the mail is on my name recently!

Credit cards offers, discount coupons etc. etc...

I don't know who this know so much!

Smart Sanki.

$$$$

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
It looks like I'm the man now, most of the mail is on my name recently!

Yes, "I am the man" almost die of a heart attack last night when I saw all my bills...

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Thanks, its good to know. I'm famous for unrealistic expectations. He is getting better every day now.

Hope things are working out for you guys, I am doing good thanks God.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Happy to wake up every day in the Morning, getting ready for work today at 7:00 am.

Learning every day more, I have learned a lot more in five years in the US than the rest of my life in DR...

JJ

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
Happy to wake up every day in the Morning, getting ready for work today at 7:00 am.

Learning every day more, I have learned a lot more in five years in the US than the rest of my life in DR...

JJ

Wow you repair truck engines? Cool! how's that compared to fixing car engines?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Rafael, my duty is to maintain theses engine running in optimal condition taking care of scheduled program and some minor repairs... Of course we get a lot of training about how they work, if I have to repair one of this I'm 100% sure I can do it.

We don't repair theses engines, we send them to factory when they need to be reconditioned!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Working in big vehicles is a lot easier as you have more space to move around, I mean if you have the right tools and equipment to perform the job.

The shop where I work is one of the newest government facilities in the US. we do have the later technology in the market in heavy duty "Diesel" mechanic jobs.

JJ

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello, everyone, not sure if this is related but I hope so. I am wondering if getting adjusted also has some resources for bringing some of the comforts of home to your new area, such as how to find different DR products in Different states. I have seen a post of different people saying they are in different states. but we are in Nevada, Las Vegas, and I just can't find alot maybe too much to mention so maybe if not here some one can organize a Dominican yellow pages or something like that in one or more blog or links? thanks and Take care, God bless, :)
Biggs

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
At my 44 years of life, I have finally come to the understanding that any man can be succesful in any country. It does not matter how many obstacles or problems he faces. The limitations and lack of oportunities that your country of birth may throw at you, can only make you stronger. It is the belief and yourself, your dreams and your relentless pursuit that will help you achieve your goals. Would it be easier in a first world country? A resound yes... can you make it in a 3rd world country if you put the effort??
the answer is also a resound Yes. Many of us scapegoat our places of origin as the reason of our failures, we must look inside and really ask the question if we are being honest with ourselves...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My inspiration are the Chinese people, see how they start a small business in DR. After ten years of hard work living in struggles they build a solid economy.

JJ

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
They will make it in any country no excuses, just work.same for the Jews and Arabs. Sadly most Dominicans bitch about our counter but don't walk the talk to fix it...just whine about it from abroad...easy to criticize but don't do anything about it. Change only comes from within.

Big_Poppi2

Mar 30, 2008
Aguilas Cibae?as
www.facebook.com
Hello, Everyone, I agree that Chinese and Arabs are two examples of hard working and successful people. I think Dominicans are hard working and successful also. Our biggest problems are not the desire and willingness to work, rather supporting our own and networking together to make our brands as big and profitable as they do. Chinese have a china town in almost every city but outside of maybe Washington Heights, and maybe some parts in Miami, we don't pool our area together as tightly as they do. Jews are also famous for working together with other Jews. Some good examples of people accepting of other cultures and inviting to all. Yet also networking together too!!! Thanks for the insight and take care, God bless,
Biggs :)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
One more acomplishment, my dream of having my oun business is a reality today, I just steped out of the Taxi inspector office having completed all requirements to put my first taxi unit on service today.

JJ

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
One more acomplishment, my dream of having my oun business is a reality today, I just steped out of the Taxi inspector office having completed all requirements to put my first taxi unit on service today.

JJ

There's nothing like owning and being your own boss. I owned and operated in NYC for 20 years. I won't be easy, but not much worthwhile in life is. Good luck.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Chinese "Expats" all aver the globe are successful due to their fierce "Work Ethic", AND, because they have the support of the entire Chinese community in their new country!
You can live with other Chinese until you get settled, get business loans from the Chinese Civic Association, support in your new life.
Most of us can't say the same thing about our fellow "Expats", now can we?????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC