Affordable housing construction

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Somehow I have a feeling that no matter what was done, building houses out of these shipping containers is still going to cost more than building houses out of wood.

i thing the cost will be far less important than the heat. those containers heat up like a frying pan.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
One of the benefits to concrete is that its strong and secure against the weather and the ladrones. Physical security is a factor that has to be addressed

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Somehow I have a feeling that no matter what was done, building houses out of these shipping containers is still going to cost more than building houses out of wood.. .

To make them livable, it would cost more then a comparable sized masonry house. Big metal boxes are not a housing solution for a tropical climate.

Two things you look at when designing and building:
1) What building materials are readily available? masonry, concrete & sand

2) What materials work well with the local climate? masonry & concrete

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't worry anyone, chip is a "Drainage Enginere", and this is his first idea.
What's better than a "Pipe Dream", for a "Drainage" engeneer??????????????????????????????
I WOULD hire Chip, if I were building a house, or commercial building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Don't worry anyone, chip is a "Drainage Enginere", and this is his first idea.
What's better than a "Pipe Dream", for a "Drainage" engeneer??????????????????????????????
I WOULD hire Chip, if I were building a house, or commercial building!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love how you can misspell the same word twice in one post, in two different ways..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Yes that woiuld be the deciding factor. In Florida one runs the air conditioning 24/7, but don't try that here unless you are filthy rich. And the inside of a container gets hot Hot Hot. I've used them as construction offices many times, and they require air on as I said above. So no matter how much insulation one gives it it will be too hot to live in.
Der Fish

Sorry Fish but you're a Gringo meaning you most likely can't live without AC. Poor people in these tropical countries are used to be without even a fan. Besides that I do believe they can be made very pleasant for these people as I have experienced being in my buddies container office in Panama. That one was very good insulated and he was running just fans and Panama is a little hotter than the DR.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip,
Have you seen the one called Star House or something like that outside of Puerto Plata? The builder is a retired Architect from Quebec and claims the hous ecan be built for $3500 and is star shaper. The thing I find about it is that it doesn't seem too strong if someone came by with a hammer they could get in easily enuff. If you want more info let me know. I'm checking about a website at the present time.
Der Fish

Post any info here, thx.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've got you here: many poor people do not have electricity to speak of, that is get maybe 8hr a day. a container is going to be hot enough to kill.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
i've got you here: many poor people do not have electricity to speak of, that is get maybe 8hr a day. a container is going to be hot enough to kill.

These were Canadians in Panama they're almost the same as gringos. ;)
I've spent quite a few hours in that container even when they were re-modelling and seriously it was very pleasant that's all I can say about it.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I wonder what the issues are with building a house US style here.. I never see them so there has GOT to be a reason..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wonder what the issues are with building a house US style here.. I never see them so there has GOT to be a reason..

Wood is expensive and doesn't last unless prepared and maintained correctly. Then there are the earthquake standards.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Is there a manual or something I can download to build my own concrete house?

You can see my thread Homebuilding the Dominican way. An architect can prepare and permit the plans for around RD200-300 per sm. For a 1600 sf house that's around US1k. If the architect is good that money will pay for itself during construction as the plans will be complete.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Is there a manual or something I can download to build my own concrete house?

Concrete as in poured walls or masonry block? Block is a little easier for a do-it-yourselfer.

What about finding some Super that would let you labor on a house construction site for free? You'ld be amazed what you can learn just by being around a building that's going up.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I heard about a new foam panel for walls.that you panete with concrete. Still need beams and columns of course. I think it is available here. I will talk to the guy that told me about it.