Aggressive Beach Harassment in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
THanks Belmont. that's exactly what i was looking for. Much appreciated!

No problem.
If you want it displayed that way, click "Settings" above, then click "General Settings", then change "Thread Display Mode" to show newest posts first.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Set up an area off to the side and let the vendors set up shop. Work with them and make one of them the leader of the vendors to control them. IF and since no one else will help, then YOU need to find your own answer, it may not be the one you want but it keeps you going and much more of a say then you have now.

Just what I was thinking and therefor the most intelligent solution yet!:beard:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
That is an exaggeration right, RD$1000 per person for breakfast?

No it's not! If I recall the Irish breakfast ran at something like RD$500, plus a few coffee refills and orange juice top-ups and the bill was about RD$3,500 once they'd loaded up with various taxes and service charges (about two years ago) We haven't been back since.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Haha, thanks SKing or Shalena!

Yeah, it's a non-stop Merry-Go-Round with the vendors and beggars and shoe-shine boys. there's really no sense in me or anyone else getting upset about it because, honestly, there really doesn't seem to be anything I or anyone else can do about it except just keep on top of them and keep them away from our customers that are sitting inside our place.

The comical aspect of it, if there is one, is that i run into some of these aggressive vendors in the supermarkets and sometimes (Cabarete is small) and we just kind of acknowledge one another without ever talking to one another. they're usually with their children or wives and they're just going about the everyday lives of just trying to get by and survive like everyone else. I try and explain to to them all the time when things get heated this: "I want you guys to make money like everyone else; you got to survive like everyone else; i just can't have you in our restaurant." I try, albeit in vain, "You got the whole beach and town to work your trade and sell your stuff, so please, for the love of god, stay out of the restaurant!" They always nod their heads and acknowledge what's being said to them but, like i said, at the end of the day, they try and come back in one more time to make a sell.

Frank, sorry you're getting some pain in the a$$ responses here because I can't even imagine how frustrating that must be to try and run an establishment and getting harrassed left and right. I don't care if your prices are in the Guinness Book of World Records for "highest priced meals", your customers deserve to be able to eat in peace, and you all deserve to be able to do the job you're paid for without having to play security at the same time.
I empathize with you, and I don't know what advice I could give because honestly it seems completely out of control. Just wanted to let you know that not everyone thinks that your establishment deserves this because of your prices.
Hope you can get it resolved....if I'm ever in Cabarete, I will stop by for a meal (I'll even buy a gift certificate that you can keep behind the counter for the unfortunate expat that can't seem to afford your food)
:)

Good Luck!

SHALENA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
set up a table away from diners that they can use , anyone wanting to purchase can go and look at the lovely items and talk to the venders

actually they seem to manage pretty well in most places , only the occassional vender gets through, certainlt not an endless stream in sosua these days

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Make Sunday "Beach Vendor Taser Day" and let customers pay a few $$$ for the priviledge of pushing the button.

New revenue source.

Win win.

Da nada...

None of this will work as this is all these pepole know.

There used to be just one fruit lady with her basket of fruit on her head and now there are 3 and these people all hang out in front of jose Oshays.

There are 3 of everbody selling the same thing within 100 feet.

I go often and they know me but they keep asking and it's getting very annoying beyond belief!

The shoe shine boys are a pack of wild dogs with thirst and hunger but they are children and hoping to grow up to be the cigar salesman on the beach...there are 6 of those

I just go to Jose's for the happy hour from 4-6 with unlimited Presidente draft....

I agree with the later post and Niki beach is ok for a quiet lunch if they are not blasting the boom boom music like a SO BE Club at 2pm

These people are starving and if 1 in 6 Americans go to bed hungry every night what is the statistic here....we come to the cheapest island and don't want to spend any money...but wait a minute...this happens everywhere .

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Zoomzx11,

I'm sorry about your experience. We have 28 fulltime employees (Were open from 8:30am to 1AM 7 days a week, 365 days a year. we have two 8 hour shifts a day). We have a lot more overhead than a small establishment that is operating with only 8 or 9 employees.

I'm also sorry about your expereince with "Watery Beer." Was this the Presidente draft beer? If so, unfortunately, I can't control the draft beer. However, if it was a bottle beer, i would be more than happy to buy you another bottle beer at your choosing. I think the draft beer will probably always taste perhaps a little watery to some people but, I have no control over that. however, just the same, I would be more than happy to buy you another draft beer if this was the case. I'm not a fan of draft beer myself but, whatever makes you happy i'll be more than happy to oblige.

As for the poor quality food, well, all i can do is recommend some of my personal favorites; Our hamburgers are "Black Angus" beef and come from Michigan. i think they're consistently good. Feel free to stop in sometime and i'll be more than happy to pull a box of Black Angus hamburgers out of the freezer and show them to you. They come wrapped, in a box of 24. All our beef, in my opinion, is consistent becuase, like many restaurants here, we import it from the U.S. You can't buy beef here on this island and expect it to be anywhere near consistent. plus, you just can't trust the way its been handled. But anyway, if you had a bad experience, stop in and ask for me, Frank, and i'll be more than happy to take care of you.

victimizers being victimized? Dont think you will get much sympathy here. We have all been victimized one time by your prices and poor quality food and watery beer. You guys own the whole neighborhood and cannot afford to hire a security guard. Who is fooling who?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Mike,

You're right on the money with the amount of fruit ladies, the amount of shoe-shine boys, and the fact that setting up a table outside our restaurant and hoping that the vendors would obey the rules would simply not work. also, you brought up a good point about all you can drink Happy Hour draft beer; many people seem to enjoy this and find it to be a very good deal.

You obviously live here and are familiar with the beach so, feel free to stop in sometime and ask for me, i'll be more than happy to buy you a beer!

None of this will work as this is all these pepole know.

There used to be just one fruit lady with her basket of fruit on her head and now there are 3 and these people all hang out in front of jose Oshays.

There are 3 of everbody selling the same thing within 100 feet.

I go often and they know me but they keep asking and it's getting very annoying beyond belief!

The shoe shine boys are a pack of wild dogs with thirst and hunger but they are children and hoping to grow up to be the cigar salesman on the beach...there are 6 of those

I just go to Jose's for the happy hour from 4-6 with unlimited Presidente draft....

I agree with the later post and Niki beach is ok for a quiet lunch if they are not blasting the boom boom music like a SO BE Club at 2pm

These people are starving and if 1 in 6 Americans go to bed hungry every night what is the statistic here....we come to the cheapest island and don't want to spend any money...but wait a minute...this happens everywhere .

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Beeza,

You're about right on the money with your check amount after taxes have been added. The Irish breakfast is the most expensive item on our breakfast menu, and if you add a couple of juices and a couple of coffee refills per person, that comes to about $25 dollars a person. No one can fault your math here, However, i'm truly sorry if you had a bad experience.

No it's not! If I recall the Irish breakfast ran at something like RD$500, plus a few coffee refills and orange juice top-ups and the bill was about RD$3,500 once they'd loaded up with various taxes and service charges (about two years ago) We haven't been back since.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I can't comment on Cabarete, as I haven't visited yet... but will for sure when I'm able to spend some more extended time in the D.R. I don't know how this compares, but the beaches at the A.I.'s in Punta Cana have their share of vendors, but it seems to be pretty well controlled. I'm pretty certain this is due to the diligent policing by the security staff. With the staff you already maintain, and given the obvious level of the problem; it seems that maybe one security guy on duty full time might be worth it. I'd go with LESS casual... put him in a uniform, make sure he is assertive and no-nonsense, (but not menacing), and give him a pistol, (save the shotgun as a last resort ... maybe a little too intimidating for the customers.) I'm sure he could keep the vendors out of the restaurant, and maybe even provide some deterrence for the immediate surroundings. This might be the price you have to pay for unmolested customers.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Beeza,

i'm not sure i understand your theory; you said, "I have a theory that maybe it's their prices that is attracting unwanted attention."

Does this mean the vendors are choosing our place because of our prices? I doubt the vendors have a clue about our prices. The vendors are choosing our place on Sundays becuase we're often packed with people watching the games. The vendors would immediately bombard our next door neighbor if they had a lot of people sitting around the bar watching games, regardless of the bar's prices. I'm not sure that i understand the logic here.

Also, can you tell me what's cheaper at Nikki beach? I thought Nikki beach was the most expensive place on the beach? but i also believe they're more expensive because they're specifically catering to a different crowd. Still, it doesn't matter to me if they are more expensive, i like the place; i go to places because i like the atmosphere and clientele.

Apologies if you thought mine was a pain in the a$$ reply Shalena, but I have a theory that maybe it's their prices that is attracting this unwanted attention.

I live in Cabarete and we like to dine on Cabarete beach regularly. However myself and ALL of my expat friends do not frequent Jose O'Shays. They seem to have a unique business model that caters for tourists only. They are by far the most expensive bar/restaurant on the beach and the quality is only so-so. Maybe they should offer an alternative tariff for patrons with a cedula.

I recall the last time we went there was for breakfast. Four breakfasts with coffee and orange juice ran to over a hundred dollars!

We go to Nikki beach, Miro's, Papi's, Lax, Onno's and yes we do get the occasional beach vendor, but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are a pain. A casual "Gracias" and they are on their way with a smile.

O'Shay's is an easy target for gullible tourists!

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Zoomzx11,

I'm sorry about your experience. We have 28 full-time employees (Were open from 8:30am to 1AM 7 days a week, 365 days a year. we have two 8 hour shifts a day). We have a lot more overhead than a small establishment that is operating with only 8 or 9 employees.

I'm also sorry about your experience with "Watery Beer." Was this the Presidente draft beer? If so, unfortunately, I can't control the draft beer. However, if it was a bottle beer, i would be more than happy to buy you another bottle beer at your choosing. I think the draft beer will probably always taste perhaps a little watery to some people but, I have no control over that. however, just the same, I would be more than happy to buy you another draft beer if this was the case. I'm not a fan of draft beer myself but, whatever makes you happy i'll be more than happy to oblige.

As for the poor quality food, well, all i can do is recommend some of my personal favorites; Our hamburgers are "Black Angus" beef and come from Michigan. i think they're consistently good. Feel free to stop in sometime and i'll be more than happy to pull a box of Black Angus hamburgers out of the freezer and show them to you. They come wrapped, in a box of 24. All our beef, in my opinion, is consistent because, like many restaurants here, we import it from the U.S. You can't buy beef here on this island and expect it to be anywhere near consistent. plus, you just can't trust the way its been handled. But anyway, if you had a bad experience, stop in and ask for me, Frank, and i'll be more than happy to take care of you.

Take notes, everyone. This is how you handle criticism.

Great post, Frank. The last time I was in Cabarete, I had an awesome time and hung out quite a bit at Jose O'Shay's.

The prices didn't bother me, as the food was good and the atmosphere at night on the weekends was even better.

Not only did I return because I liked the place, the staff were very cool. A bit different than hanging out in Sosua amongst the bloated geriatric crowd. ;)

Next time I'm in town I'll buy YOU a beer.

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
A bit different than hanging out in Sosua amongst the bloated geriatric crowd.

Is that a nice way of saying "old fat guys".

A real Irish breakfast on Dot Ave and South Boston is $10 so with 2 beers and tip it comes to $20. So with Doninican tax $25 is about right. Been to O'Shays a few times on Sundays and the beer prices are fair for a sports bar that had the games i wanted to watch. For those that are bitching about prices may i suggest look at the menu, ask a few questions and walk if you do not like the answers.

And when the vendors get aggresive with me i stand up and tell them to screw. Invading my space during my day out is a dead issue. Frank, you need to get aggresive with these guys. You are insane if you think asking them nicely is going to get you anywhere. Your kindness is a weakness to them.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
You need to bitch at the owners or managers of your establishment. Hire a couple of security guards on Sunday afternoon. That will keep them at bay and stop the harrasment of your customers. If that doesn't work taser the first one that crosses the line.
That will send a positive message to all the rest.

S

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people cant help being geriatric, unless you would like to introduce euthanasia , some people cant help being bloated either.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Beeza,

Does this mean the vendors are choosing our place because of our prices? I doubt the vendors have a clue about our prices.
Willie Sutton was no smarter than the vendors. When asked why do you rob banks, he responded "because that's where the money is." These vendors work your customers because they are willing to spend.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Haha, good example Belmont. the vendors go where the money is. if on monday there are lots of people at Voy, Voy (for the Karoke) then they will be there, if the rest of the week they go to LAX during their happy hour specials, the vendors will be there. the vendors simply migrate up and down the beach and go where the people are crowding and sitting. they could care less about the prices on the restaurant menu's. That's why i didn't quite get Beeza's theory. the vendors are oblivious to our menu or our menu prices as well as every other establishment on the beach. We're busy on sunday's for NFL football and that's why they're here. it comes down to simple economics. Why would they stand in front of a restaurant that had no customers when they could be standing in front of a restaurant with lots of potential customers?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the logic here.

Willie Sutton was no smarter than the vendors. When asked why do you rob banks, he responded "because that's where the money is." These vendors work your customers because they are willing to spend.

ggparts

Mar 20, 2003
My observation only (and maybe a little off topic)

Even after more than 25years and 40+ visits to DR I continue to wonder if these aggressive tactics didn't produce positive results wouldn't they try something else? Many people are appalled by the Beach Vendors aggressive tactics as they are with Jose's prices but both businesses continue without any major change in tactic. I know that in this case there is little to none in the way of regulation/organisation but it is the same (aggressive tactics I mean) anywhere tourists interact with vendors including organised stalls like Sousa Beach, Bavaro tourist markets etc.

I am in business myself and I know if we put in place a policy of any type, it either produces good results or we change it.
Would this this not apply to these businesses? Beach vendor or restaurateur, everyone wants to make money.
Does it not follow that both parties here have in place a tried and true business model? Even though many people criticize both continually nothing changes.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Good observation GGParts,

I would only add that, as a business, it is in our best interest to keep the vendors out of our restaurant. they have no right to be "inside." we repeatedly warn them, we repeatedly ask them to leave, we repeatedly throw them out (Not physically), and yet, the moment we run into the back, or go to the bathroom, or run up to the office, 6 vendors, 3 or 4 shoe-shine boys, 1 or 2 CD-salesmen, and 1 or 2 cigar salesmen, will immediately run into the restaurant and up to the bar and to the tables and start pulling out, and in some cases, dumping there wears--jewelry, cd's, cigars, etc. onto the bar and tables while people are trying to eat their meal and try and make a quick sell before the manager returns. i sincerely mean this: it would be comical if it wasn't so annoying, intrusive, offensive, and just plain rude.

I guess my complaint was more directed at a previous post regarding this issue (I couldn't find that original post and so i started this one. Again, i apologize.) where people in the previous post were saying "Get used to it" as if that was going to solve anything or make first time tourists want to come back. i mean, on many days, it's nearly impossible to sit out on the beach and enjoy a drink or a book without someone coming up to you literally, every 2 minutes. try it sometime. luckily, every evening after 7pm, after it gets dark, all the vendors go home and the only people we have to contend with are the shoe-shine boys, some beggars, and some mentally and physically handicapped people. but they generally never come into restaurants and pretty much shuffle up and down the beach. after 7pm, after the beach vendors have gone home, i find it much more relaxing and peaceful. still, the beach area is public space so, it's still a free-for-all out there.

Even after more than 25years and 40+ visits to DR I continue to wonder if these aggressive tactics didn't produce positive results wouldn't they try something else? Many people are appalled by the Beach Vendors aggressive tactics as they are with Jose's prices but both businesses continue without any major change in tactic. I know that in this case there is little to none in the way of regulation/organisation but it is the same (aggressive tactics I mean) anywhere tourists interact with vendors including organised stalls like Sousa Beach, Bavaro tourist markets etc.

I am in business myself and I know if we put in place a policy of any type, it either produces good results or we change it.
Would this this not apply to these businesses? Beach vendor or restaurateur, everyone wants to make money.
Does it not follow that both parties here have in place a tried and true business model? Even though many people criticize both continually nothing changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.