All-Inclusive Cattle Herd

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
oldschool said:
I was thinking you saw them is Puerto Plata my bad. In that case then I WOULD warn them about going into town as well Sosua is what you call a "Tourist Trap"
Where is it exactly that you would go that is a tourist destination that is NOT a tourist trap? Everything is way cheaper in Sosua than Cabarete!

Escott

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Puerto Plata

Escott said:
Where is it exactly that you would go that is a tourist destination that is NOT a tourist trap? Everything is way cheaper in Sosua than Cabarete!

Escott

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
To the person who started this thread...since you live in DR , I would think that you would care about the economy of your country...so if you would like to see all the AI's shut down, think about the economy and the resultant rate of unemployment duh!!!!
Why cant some people in this world just accept different strokes for different folks...imagine how boring life would be if we all had the same interests!!
Some people are boring anyway and need to get a life!!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
AI are great... for some people. It?s a concept and it?s not about getting to know the DR really. It??s about offering beautiful, stressless beach vacations at a fixed price. The tourist does not have to bother about language or cultures and any dangers. They go there because they want to relax, swimm a little, maybe got some fitness or indulge in food or booze. They pick the place by pictures of palm trees bowing over pearly sand beaches and turqouise cristaline sea water. If it were in Switzerland they would go there... the place and it?s culture is not of interest... still, some may turn curiouse or bored and tempeted to investigate. So, the buy into a tour or what else. I think that some caution with that kind of tourist is not misplaced.
STILL, I spent 10 day at a place like this to start my investigation on the DR and I was digusted to whitness the daily "orientation" to the new guys by the representans of the tour operators. There were notably two American ladies that would put a lot of effort of warning anybody off any intent to leave the place without professional help. Do not get into one of these buses! They are dirty and you don?t know what kind of poeple may get on! Don?t take Taxis that don?t have the hotel label. Don?t eat out, you will get sick! Dangerouse people... don?t get into discussions!... and so forth, and so forth.
I found that way over doing it, specially in the presence of Dominican personel working together with them or around the meeting. Later I found out the two ladies had Dominican boy friends too.
Sure, it?s a different country and careless tourists waving money and valuables in a hood they don?t know may attract problems... but that?s the same in NYC, MIA, MAD and even ZRH.
But these people are operating in the DR, making a living there and certainly too adding to the economy. They should still treat the country and it?s hospitality oriented people with respect by not painting a wrong immage.

Just my opinion... J-D.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
J D, I agree... the tour reps want the people to go on the excursions they offer, that are great excursions by the way, but they do it for the commission. That?s it.
I agree there would be other ways to do this, the talk from many tour reps in way across the line.

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
casa marina and sosua by the sea are all inclusive resorts..my first trip to sosua was ruined by me staying at sosua by the sea.."ruined" may be a stretch..but it sucked..food was terrible..

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nothing new!

jstnorv05 said:
I was just wondering if anyone else the all-inclusives walking around with large groups of people that remind me of a herd of cattle. I saw a few weeks ago about fifty people walking down the beach in two by two formation and noticed that none of them would even look over in the direction of the shops. One person began talking to one of the shop owners and three of the others in the group began crowding around her and she quickly stopped talking or even looking in his direction. Although I have never been to the orientation I have have heard many people tell me about the things they tell their guests but this scene seemed to me as if they had brainwashed these people. What people in their right mind would let someone else tell them who they can talk to and where they can go? I still haven't decided whether the scene was comical or sad. A question I would like to pose to this group is do you think this practice would be allowed in the U.S. or Europe? My personal feeling is that the all-inclusives are a major detriment to the island.
This is nothing new. All and every single resort that I have stayed at, there's always a worker who "advices" on things that you should be aware of.

I have seen many, many group of people that are always 'listening" to what their tour guide is telling them. It's known that the tour guides would tell tourists what to do and what not to do. They would only take them to places (stores)that they are getting a "piece of the pie".

It happens in every single resort in the universe.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
I agree, it is not only here... it is in every tourist area in the world.
For Puerto Plata, those tourists that come to town on their own.. they get one of the bluecollar guides.. These guides takes them to places they get their commission. Claro, of course.
As everywhere.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
Employment would increase because there would be a greater demand on the locals to provide the goods and services that the AIs provide. Furthermore instead of sending the profits back to the parent companies in the US or Europe the profits would be spent in the DR creating further demand for more products and services thereby creating more employment. Duh

drloca said:
To the person who started this thread...since you live in DR , I would think that you would care about the economy of your country...so if you would like to see all the AI's shut down, think about the economy and the resultant rate of unemployment duh!!!!
Why cant some people in this world just accept different strokes for different folks...imagine how boring life would be if we all had the same interests!!
Some people are boring anyway and need to get a life!!!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Ai

Our first trip to the DR was an AI. We got sucked into it, buy that is another story. Used it as home base and for breakfasts and lots of drinking. Otherwise we were out and about.
The same thing happens on Cruise ships. We always have gotten off and made arrangements with the locals for the same if not better tours and activities that were offered on board. However ususally at half the price and we knew that 100% of what we spent went to the local economy.
AIs work for some and not for others. Remember it is supposed to be a vacation.

Bob K

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
jstnorv05 said:
Employment would increase because there would be a greater demand on the locals to provide the goods and services that the AIs provide. Furthermore instead of sending the profits back to the parent companies in the US or Europe the profits would be spent in the DR creating further demand for more products and services thereby creating more employment. Duh
Are you suggesting that people will rent out their spare bedroom, build new hotels, buy out the AIs, or are you dreaming that the AI companies will simply leave and the locals will be free to take over the facilities?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
And where would this money be coming from to provide these services to tourists? Dream on......

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
jstnorv05 said:
Duh-man I hate that word, usually spoken by someone without an intelligent answer. What airport unloads the most tourists? Punta Cana- LOADED with A1 hotels. Now, let's close ALL the A1's in DR and let your imaginary scenario take place (end result being MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT from lack of tourists). Think for a second there won't be a HUGE drop in tourism? Know why? Because A1 tourists will go to another A1 in ANOTHER COUNTRY. It's not as though DR has a monopoly on these. Better idea- the tourism industry as a whole should improve on the image that it is a safe and friendly country to explore "without fear".

paddy

Silver
Oct 4, 2003
bottom line AI'S work because they are as close to being as hassle free as you can get...people don't have to worry about carrying large amounts of money..getting ripped off by thieves,vendors and the like,they have children with them and don't want them exposed to the "street life" that seems to appear at these tourist hot spots. and frankly..most people don't really care about the economy of the dr or any other tourist destination.all they want is more bang for their buck and can i drink the water..

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
First time in Sosua was in Casa Marina Beach, but without the AI deal, just used it for sleep, shower and breakfast. However the small time I used on the area convinced me that it was nothing for me.
About hazzelfree, back then the vendors at the hotel beach was at least 10 times more aggressive than those on Sosua beach. And I must say the so caled animation team or activation people was a real pain in the ***.

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
There are many existing hotels who are not booked and if they were all booked I am sure someone would build more hotels if that was needed. For the most part, though, I am not referring to lodging but, rather, bars, restaurants and stores that would generate more business from people shopping, eating and drinking outside the hotels.

Malibook said:
Are you suggesting that people will rent out their spare bedroom, build new hotels, buy out the AIs, or are you dreaming that the AI companies will simply leave and the locals will be free to take over the facilities?

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
With sufficient demand a small amount of capital could start a business that if run successful could generate more capital to further improve the business thus creating an upward spiral of local business growth.

drloca said:
And where would this money be coming from to provide these services to tourists? Dream on......

jstnorv05

Jun 13, 2005
I am not suggesting that they close all the AIs. What I would like to see is the AIs more friendly towards this country. This country has enough problems without greedy AI staff playing on the fears of tourists. Secondly, as a few people have mentioned not all AIs engage in this practice so I should be more specific by saying that AIs that use fearmongering as a sales tactic are a detriment to this country.
RandyE said:
Duh-man I hate that word, usually spoken by someone without an intelligent answer. What airport unloads the most tourists? Punta Cana- LOADED with A1 hotels. Now, let's close ALL the A1's in DR and let your imaginary scenario take place (end result being MASSIVE UNEMPLOYMENT from lack of tourists). Think for a second there won't be a HUGE drop in tourism? Know why? Because A1 tourists will go to another A1 in ANOTHER COUNTRY. It's not as though DR has a monopoly on these. Better idea- the tourism industry as a whole should improve on the image that it is a safe and friendly country to explore "without fear".

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think that most of the AI resort type enterprises are a great business an certainly must benefit to the DR economy. Most offer a great concept for the "relax - no worry and no thinking minded tourist who's just after a nice beach vacation under palm trees and with lot'sa cocktails.
However, I think that tourism has to operate offering a good mix of concepts and qualities and prices, not only to the tourist but also to the country and it's surrounding makro economies in which it operates.
Eg: Puerto Plata is a town that does not seem to reflect to attract much direct advantage from the tourist industry surrounding it. Yes, you may think that it is generating employment and it certainly does, but maybe not directly as much as you may think. From what I have seen many to the "resident" national employees are from all over the island.
Look at the Puerto Plata Malecon. For a town which attracts so many tourists (well, actually it doesn?t, it the resorts who do and that is exactly the problem), what's going on (or better, what doesn't) on the Malecon is just laughable... it's down right ridiculous. I know small fishermen villages in other countries that have been able to profit directly (small to median business) from their discovery as a touristic attraction, but that may well not just be because not all hotel concepts would service all needs of it's guests.
So, on the other hand I do undertand those who will question the local's ability to effectively realize the business potential that may be offered to them as individuals and small to medium business operators or owners, when you see how little the market resulting from the resident tourism (expats) has been developed so far.

So, it's give and take, but something has to happen.

... J-D.

Minni

Sep 14, 2003
My first trip to DR was to POP and stayed at the Riu Mambo. I loved the place. There was no hassel. I was not pressured into any tours. I remember looking at the tour people and what they had to offer and said no thanks. The day we arrived we hit the bar and had an early night. The second day we had gone into town and had gotten the low down on the discos. We were partying the same night in Orion. I will admit that the front desk people would tell my friend and I to be careful and to which clubs we shouldn't go. After the first night the Riu became our base. We went into town every single day and to the discos at night. Including the canita and la barrica, the ones that got the most flack. Second trip we stayed in an apartahotel. Traveled into Luperon, Sosua and the capital. Third we rented a villa in casa linda. Had a great time there too. Now when we go back we'd like to stay at the Coral Marien.

I think it depends on the person and the level of safety that they feel they need. I have never felt threatened by anything in DR. Well maybe that one night we got stranded in Boca Chica, but thats a different story. People should go and stay where they are comfortable. The truth is that some people prefer to be led around when they are in different surroundings. To each his own.

I know that I want to do the AI thing again cause of the hassel free part of it. Don't have to worry about food, drinks, tips or anything. Of course it would once again be a home base. No way would I stay locked up in there without going exploring.

Different strokes for different folks, people!!!!

Mis dos centavos.

Minni