Amended Bar closing times

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
I love my schedule

It fits right in to my schedule when I am in the Dominican Republic for business and pleasure. I love waking up mid morning, drive down to Rockys at about 11 or 12 and having a late breakfast. Take care some business with the furniture store, the Shark Bar, or with the F.A.D. and then go on down to the beach to visit Big Bobby at the Mofongo King or Tom at the Scadinavian Bar where I would have lunch and a few cold ones. Go home to the pool relax, take a nap, get up about 7 or so and then go out to the campo to visit family out there until 11 or so. Then go home change into my going out clothes and hang out with friends or whatever until whenever.

I only need 4 or 5 hours sleep. I want to sleep when I want to sleep and not when the "Boy Scout master" orders stinking "taps". I don't want to march home to sit on my terrace with a cooler of beer and hoping to have electric to go with it. My friends and business associates who come down for different business and friends spend a great deal of money on "staying out late" and I mean tens of thousands of dollars a year. Their feed back is that they will simply go somewhere else. They have bosses back at home that "tell them what to do". They go away to be FREE and NO a CURFEW is NOT WHAT THEY WANT.

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
It fits right in to my schedule when I am in the Dominican Republic for business and pleasure. I love waking up mid morning, waddling down to Rockys at about 11 or 12 and having a late breakfast. Take care some business with the furniture store or the Shark Bar and then go on down to the beach to visit Big Bobby at the Monfongo King or Tom at the Scadinavian Bar where I would have lunch and a few cold ones. Go home to the pool relax, take a nap, get up about 7 or so and then go out to the campo to visit family out there until 11 or so. Then go home change into my going out clothes and hang out with friends or whatever until whenever. I only need 4 or 5 hours sleep. I want to sleep when I want to sleep and not when the "Boy Scout master" orders stinking "taps". I don't want to march home to sit on my terrace. My friends, business associates who come down for different business and friends spend a great deal of money on "staying out late" and I mean tens of thousands of dollars a year. Their feed back is that they will simply go somewhere else. They have bosses back at home that "tell them what to do". They go away to be FREE and NO a CURFEW is NOT WHAT THEY WANT.

As a Corrections guy, ever find it necessary to "lock-down" everybody because of the actions of a few bad apples? Until violence and lawlessness diminish, this may be an inconvenience we all have to put up with. The biggest advance in crime reduction in New York was the institution of "quality of life" policing. By removing the petty criminals they eliminated the cover in which the major criminals could hide. Certainly tourism may take a hit in the short-term, but the ways things were going, tourism was going to take a hit anyway.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not overly supportive of the new hours. Granted, I'm not a nightowl, but I do own a bar here in FL, and I can see how midnight could effect me economically. Personally, 2am seems to be a reasonable compromise.

But I am a guest when I go to the DR. It is not my country, I cannot vote, and I have little if any influence over it's internal affairs. I have been traveling to the country for 20 years or so. My choices are to come and play by their rules, or go elsewhere; my personal situation dictates I come and play by the rules. My influence and vote is limited to my feet and wallet, nothing more.

With all the howling from folks here and elsewhere, along with their microanalysis of the economic impact, I find the government has been somewhat silent. Why is that? Are there influencing factors they have chosen not to make public or share?

I would have LOVED to be a fly on the wall during the internal debates within the Presidential staff when this topic came up. I conclude that they had a different set of stats, opinions and conclusions about the genesis of the crime situation that those shareed within DR1. They say crime has dropped like a rock. All I have read is their take on it (a 90% drop leaves me very sceptical) and different anecdotes. The jury, to me, is still out.

Are folks on the streets being targeted? Perhaps, perhaps not. Maybe there is a method to their madness, a "profiling" they think is worthwhile. I don't know.

But it is what it is.

Like all things, time will tell.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You're kidding

As a Corrections guy, ever find it necessary to "lock-down" everybody because of the actions of a few bad apples? Until violence and lawlessness diminish, this may be an inconvenience we all have to put up with. The biggest advance in crime reduction in New York was the institution of "quality of life" policing. By removing the petty criminals they eliminated the cover in which the major criminals could hide. Certainly tourism may take a hit in the short-term, but the ways things were going, tourism was going to take a hit anyway.

Do you know what point you are trying to attempt to make? HOW, I know you are a smart guy and I know what point you are trying to make. BUT a prison is a "controlled enviroment" with "arrested people" going through court trials that either they do not have bail because of flight risk or the bail is too high and "incarcerated people" that are duly sentenced. The streets of the Dominican Republic is not a controlled enviroment or at least it shouldn't be it is a democratic country not Baghdad. It certainly should not be to an industry which gladly spends alot of money each year on staying out past bed time.

I am not arguing with you HOW bcause you got valid points and I respect them. YES, there are lot's of bad people out there and not all of them are Dominicans. Interpol should be more active rounding up fugitives from other countries. When going out to pick up the trash on the street the sanitation people take the garbage not your lawn furniture, right? Bad people are known usually by mostly everyone. Let's start IDing these sh*tbags and throwing them in jail so we can all once again enjoy what it is that brought us here in the first place.

If you have bad apples you pluck the frigging things out you don't throw the whole basket in the crapper. I don't know about such things as apples so I won't go off on tangent about things I don't know anything about. Maybe there is an apple farmer "know it all" amongst us?

Last edited:

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Rught on

exactly...with bars closing at 12 i feel as though i'm in grade school going out at 8 or so (the sun is still up for god's sake). i'm probably still at the beach until 8 or 8:30...the 2 a.m hour is fine because here in the US thats normal time for most clubs. i may be forced to get me a "steady" the way they're cutting the single guys "prowling" time out.....

I mean there is reason to going home at some time during the night. I am not going to get ethnical here but there are certain people that love to drink 24/7and never go home. The yelling, the fighting, the screaming putas, the motoconchos wailing up and down residential streets at all hours of the night, a gunshot every now and then. Yes, people there are problems and we must do something about the problems. These problem people are so daggone hammered drunk that they sleep on the streets or wherever getting robbed by the preditors that lurk sometime before the sun comes up again. Yeah, I have seen it and I am sure anyone that is out late and I mean real late at night has seen it too. The gouls are just waddling around like the "body snatchers" or "the night of the living dead". I have said it to myself "man oh man, it is time to get home, this is scary".

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Sorry for omitting the obligatory LOL Scotty. I thought the smiley face would suffice. A bit touchy today, aren't we?

By the way, if you work nights and are up by 9, you're a better man than I. When I worked the 3-11 shift, it was at least 2 or 3 before I could "wind down" enough to sleep, and I was doing well to get out of bed by 11.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Keeping it light

Sorry for omitting the obligatory LOL Scotty. I thought the smiley face would suffice. A bit touchy today, aren't we?

By the way, if you work nights and are up by 9, you're a better man than I. When I worked the 3-11 shift, it was at least 2 or 3 before I could "wind down" enough to sleep, and I was doing well to get out of bed by 11.

I know you meant no harm. Yeah, I remember those days of being out every night until the wee hours. I am getting old now and slowing down just a tad.

Enjoy!

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Two days ago I waded through this, at that time, 13 pages of BS and made a post reflecting my thoughts on the situation but in my apparent stupidity I posted it to the wrong thread. As it was in fact composed for this thread then I feel it is only proper and justified that I allow those participating in this now 19 pages of BS to read that which I wrote as it pertains to the OP.

The post can be viewed here and I wish to point out that the figure in the last paragraph is now 9 instead of the 7 that I wrote.

Rick

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
You are entitled to you opinion

Two days ago I waded through this, at that time, 13 pages of BS and made a post reflecting my thoughts on the situation but in my apparent stupidity I posted it to the wrong thread. As it was in fact composed for this thread then I feel it is only proper and justified that I allow those participating in this now 19 pages of BS to read that which I wrote as it pertains to the OP.

The post can be viewed here and I wish to point out that the figure in the last paragraph is now 9 instead of the 7 that I wrote.

Rick

Mr Moderator.

Calling a man who happens to enjoy a late night drink or doing nothing at all late at night a "bago" is wrong. Calling rich men "bagos" and accusing them of going to cabanas is disgusting. So, a group of nicely dressed men sitting in a bar having drinks are what sir? This Saturday night (August 19th) I will certainly be in the New York Shark Bar and I will be with several very high ranking F.A.D. officers celebrating some recent promotions. Stop by with your wide brush and be certain to label everyone of them including myself a "bago". Yep, there you go with that big wide brush and that self oinionated attitude people get when they are given a title and special features to a website. Your name calling is offensive to anyone that reads it.

Are you a medical doctor as well as an attorney general sir? Making medical statements/opinions about what the effects of drinking does to the brain as well as the society flaws that is brought on by the use of alcohol? Amazing what the title of a message board moderator can do for someone.

You do have good points however and they are not gone un-noticed. Many things you write are respected by this poster and I want to make that clear. But the poop that just blobbed out of your keyboard was comical.

Petty crimes should be addressed on the spot. Summonses should be written and then these summonses should be brought to a hearing officer with the accusing officer present. Littering, foul language, loud music, moto conchos, cars, people, gunshots, disorderly conduct and other disgusting anti social behavior should be addressed. Hit the offenders where it hurts, in the pocket. But don't slam the door closed on everything and everyone??? No, this is way overboard!

On a final note and I get a kick out of this one. What a man or woman does behind the closed door of a cabana, a hotel, their car, their house is non or my business and certainly non of yours.

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, everyone had their say and a few of us had more than that. Thanks for a good thread. I think this one is done! An informational thread telling us what is happening in the different areas would be nice! Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.