American Hamburgers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Burger Ya! in Los Jardines has amazing freshly made 8 oz Imported Angus beef burgers with real buns and condiments and now about a dozen toppings combos (bacon, different cheeses, sauces, grilled onions, mushrooms, etc)...all under 200 pesos.
Where in LJ?

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
For american burgers in STI you also have Tony Roma's, Chilis and Fridays. All decent if not great burgers. Pricemart often sells imported frozen US burger pattys and places like chef pepper also sell imported beef.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Veggie Burgers?

This may seem like a sacrilegious inquiry to some die-hard burger fans, but where can you get a good VEGGIE BURGER? I'm a vegetarian and LOVE a good veggie burger.

So far have only seen/tried them at Hard Rock Cafe in SD...yummmmmm.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Most are free range and eat weeds. They are slaughtered and taken to market right away without the meat being aged. Those are two big factors in the poor quality of DR beef.

I think an analysis of both would show the Dominican beef to be more healthy for you. Taste is different than nutrition.
I haven't had what I call a good burger in the DR, but I haven't looked too hard either.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I have had some pretty tough beef out of north american markets and I have had some Dominican beef that was pretty tasty. I think the chances of getting tough meat in north america are higher than it used to be. Even with a different taste or tenderness I would hate to trade off the local meat here for the meat in "higher standards" countries that is full of antibiotics and growth hormones. Even dairy cattle udders are oversized and sickly today, built for excessive milk production and to satisfy corporate greed over good health. In fancy restaurants it frequently tastes like they have to add tenderizers to their meat to maintain consistent tenderness.
Who would really want an unblemished piece of fruit all the same size and without bugs at the price of having it full of chemicals. Some of these added chemicals are solely for appearance sake. Eggs here have bright yellow yolks and a much less chance of shell breaking into little pieces when cracked, not pale and weak shelled. This is a sign of poor health related to mass production techniques. Frequently chickens have broken legs in north american as the breeding for oversized white meat is too much weight for a not so healthy bird. I like the fruit, eggs, poultry and meat here despite that sometimes it does not look perfect. It has also not been gassed to death in preparation for transport. The hidden stuff in american raised beef makes me ill thinking about it let alone paying surcharge to import it here.
Now sometimes I will pay extra for deli ham imported from Spain but we all have our weaknesses.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Satisfying consumer demand is NOT corporate greed.

I don't eat beef or eggs for health reasons. I eat them because they taste good and offer reasonable nutrition. If nutrition was paramount, I'd eat raw soy beans and carrots. I prefer a soppy double-bacon-cheeseburger...

There is no "hidden stuff" in American food production. Big Brother lays down specific rules for how food is produced from birth/seed to the end consumer.

If eating shoe leather makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, satisfy yourself. Fact is science has done amazing work in increasing yields in food production and along with that longevity has greatly increased in just a couple of generations.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Had a great Bacon/swiss burger at Chili.s the other night, and will probably have another Thurs PM there while watching the NFL. I had them put it on Texas cheese toast instead of a regular bun.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
th_whitecas.jpg
AJL you got sixteen years on me I went to New Uthrect high. You guys can get these shipped frozen gotta be better than whats around there only draw back is you have to eat 8-10 or 'em.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
when I go to florida I bring back 2-3 packs of white castle burgers. 1 minute zap in microwave. I did one summerschool at New Utrecht.

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
Most are free range and eat weeds. They are slaughtered and taken to market right away without the meat being aged. Those are two big factors in the poor quality of DR beef.

I was under the impression that beef was aged for the sole purpose of making veal.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
when I go to florida I bring back 2-3 packs of white castle burgers. 1 minute zap in microwave. I did one summerschool at New Utrecht.

Where in FL? I lived there a couple of years and there was only a clone called White Diamond. Unless you bought in the supermarket.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Satisfying consumer demand is NOT corporate greed.

I don't eat beef or eggs for health reasons. I eat them because they taste good and offer reasonable nutrition. If nutrition was paramount, I'd eat raw soy beans and carrots. I prefer a soppy double-bacon-cheeseburger...

There is no "hidden stuff" in American food production. Big Brother lays down specific rules for how food is produced from birth/seed to the end consumer.

If eating shoe leather makes you feel better about yourself, by all means, satisfy yourself. Fact is science has done amazing work in increasing yields in food production and along with that longevity has greatly increased in just a couple of generations.

You could be right and like you, people in civilized worlds today do not eat to be healthy any longer. Consumer demand gets what they want in many cases, but the consumer tends not to be as well informed these days and few people are even familiar with the reality of the food chain processes that are tied to new corporate and scientific farming techniques.

Your comment on consumer demand falls under question when excessive levels of sodium and sugar are found in items like prepared baby products. Seems more like corporate training to me. And why do we need big brother at all when it comes to food production? Maybe one reason is related to the tendency towards corporate greed and short cuts. Who chooses and monitors this big brother and makes sure there is sufficient and accurate results? It seems like the fox is guarding the hen house a lot more each year. Just saying.

You are also right about corporate greed not being led by consumer demand. It is more likely investor return demands, but why get picky when most people are aware the corporate world ethical standards are changing. This could also have some effect on the quality of the foods on our shelves and in our restaurants.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You could be right and like you, people in civilized worlds today do not eat to be healthy any longer. Consumer demand gets what they want in many cases, but the consumer tends not to be as well informed these days and few people are even familiar with the reality of the food chain processes that are tied to new corporate and scientific farming techniques.

Your comment on consumer demand falls under question when excessive levels of sodium and sugar are found in items like prepared baby products. Seems more like corporate training to me. And why do we need big brother at all when it comes to food production? Maybe one reason is related to the tendency towards corporate greed and short cuts. Who chooses and monitors this big brother and makes sure there is sufficient and accurate results? It seems like the fox is guarding the hen house a lot more each year. Just saying.

You are also right about corporate greed not being led by consumer demand. It is more likely investor return demands, but why get picky when most people are aware the corporate world ethical standards are changing. This could also have some effect on the quality of the foods on our shelves and in our restaurants.
Just another Big Gubmint I Know What's Best For You Nanny State Advocate.

Caveat Emptor

Be careful what you ask for, Comrade.

Yes, thank you. Are those papas fried in pure lard? I hope so...

heart_attack_grill_003.jpg

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
In Puerto Plata La Sirena sells frozen Black Angus burgers Imported from the States around RD $50.00 pesos each.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
cobraboy you are safer here sticking with the server and now what is being served. But should your temptations lead down the path of more evil, maybe the sign on her hat provides some hint she might have some nursing skills that might come in handy for you later. Great BM for sure at any rate.

DMD53

Jun 8, 2011
Where in FL? I lived there a couple of years and there was only a clone called White Diamond. Unless you bought in the supermarket.[/QUOTE

I know there are alot of Krystals hamburger joints scattred around the Orlando area possibly down south too. they
're on the same order as White Castle but alittle greasier.