AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I totally agree with them harassing gringos until they get to know you and become your acquaintance. As far as them hauling motos away and giving them tickets for not wearing a helmet, I haven't seen that in months. When I'm stopped at the playero light going east, I'm usually surrounded by motos not wearing helmets and they all drive past the amets without being stopped. All depends what the flavour of the day is. Nothing is consistent. I wear my seatbelt, semi-obey the laws and take care of a few amets once in a while. Now they wave to me as I drive by, no more problems.

I totally agree with them harassing gringos until they get to know you and become your acquaintance. As far as them hauling motos away and giving them tickets for not wearing a helmet, I haven't seen that in months. When I'm stopped at the playero light going east, I'm usually surrounded by motos not wearing helmets and they all drive past the amets without being stopped. All depends what the flavour of the day is. Nothing is consistent. I wear my seatbelt, semi-obey the laws and take care of a few amets once in a while. Now they wave to me as I drive by, no more problems.

If only all ex pats would learn to assimilate like you did,they would have much less hassles in day to day life. You can continue to yell and scream on this board and have hundreds of people like your post or you can learn and assimilate into your new environment instead of waiting for the Dominicans to assimilate to yours.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you are rude to a Dominican that person will do everything in his or her power to **** you. If it is such a big deal to smile, wave, and once in awhile give a gift that will make your life a lot easier you should not be living here.

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006

Bribery is your stupid answer!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

Far from bribery. I take care of two amets in particular and I have their phone numbers in my cell phone and am able to call them at any time if I need help. When I see them on the street in the middle of the afternoon I'll bring them a bottle of water or offer them some lunch, they often refuse and never take advantage of it. Once in a while I'll slip them a few hundred pesos for their kids birthday.

Call it what you want, but I call it cheap insurance.

At the Ruta and main exit from Charimicos.:cry:
You live in the area and dont even care to learn to spell the name of the town correctly.
Well son, blind, uniformed law and order freaks like you need to get some education before sharpening their pencil. Tourists are stopped only because they are recognized as such. Arrests are made for trumped-up charges or bribes are demanded. Moto conchos, taxis, trucks, SUV's, buses, collectivos, etc. are never stopped even though they violate ALL laws. HAPPY DRIVING !
Papa you are so angry that you actively drive around and look for Amet taking action? Where are all these arrests taking place? I drive up and down the main road passing the Amet 3-4 times a day and almost never have a problem ,and every time I am stopped is because I was not wearing my seatbelt or was talking on the phone, so they stop me for breaking the law rightfully. I never get a ticket because I am always friendly with them and we have a little conversation and I'm on my way, I might give them a bottle for xmas or buy a drink if they pass by Rumba off duty.
AMRATS are zealously giving '' no helmet'' tickets today. While ignoring all serious violations. Damm, I just barely missed one of the Rats as he ran begween 2 parked cars to issue a ticket.
Sometimes they have specific offenses to address just like in the USA where they have buckle up days where police issue seat belt summonses.
AMRATS actively giving tickets to tourists in Sosua Abeyo. Moto concho violations are ignored!
Once again lack of respect for Dominicans, Sosua Abajo . You have too much time on your hands to be observing all of this.
Its not Bribery it is the way things are done in DR!!! Like I said in an earlier post you live in their Country not vise versa. You need to assimilate not them.

wayne

Dec 25, 2003
I agree one must assimilate and yes, it is their country. I think what you are missing is the government promotes foreign investment and tourism and if this is to flourish they have to protect the expats and tourist from this type of abusive behaviour by the police.

Its not Bribery it is the way things are done in DR!!! Like I said in an earlier post you live in their Country not vise versa. You need to assimilate not them.[/COLOR][/B][/QUOTE]

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The gift/bribe/payoff thing is a tightrope to get right with some, you have have to pick your receiver well and it is worth putting a bit of time in when choosing before dropping anything anyones way. Slipping the wrong idiot who doesn't understand the game and play by the same respected rules, and have enough respect from the others to not lean on you as well can end in nightmares and headaches sometimes.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010

Suspended? He should be FIRED! Why don't they give up his name and photo? I'd like to know who the P>O>S was! Maybe this action will keep the others there in CHECK!!!!!!!! I'm sure there will be some retaliation by the other agents against motorists in the Sosua area in the form of more ticket issuances, so make sure to wear that seat belt, especially near the Police Station in the Batey!!!!! :)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Suspended? He should be FIRED! Why don't they give up his name and photo? I'd like to know who the P>O>S was! :)

Yeah, he probably should be fired. But POS is a bit strong. These guys see gringos and expats rolling around with money to burn (in their mind), they see Generals, police chiefs and politicians getting pay offs and they are making 8,000 a month?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Yeah, he probably should be fired. But POS is a bit strong. These guys see gringos and expats rolling around with money to burn (in their mind), they see Generals, police chiefs and politicians getting pay offs and they are making 8,000 a month?

Point taken, but he still ABUSED HIS AUTHORITY no matter who rolls around, so he's still a P>O>S> and I'll include the Generals, Police Chiefs and Politicians!

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
AMRATS are outside their evil den, randomly issuing tickets to touristas. I drove right by the vermin, ignoring their signal to stop!
THEY ARE OUT IN FORCE TODAY TICKETING TOURISTS. Meanwhile , all moto-conchos ''stick in their face'' violating all traffic laws. They are ignored!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Meanwhile , all moto-conchos ''stick in their face'' violating all traffic laws. They are ignored!

Cause they don't got two peso's to rub together.

Maybe the Amet's are watching the US news and all the coverage of the Zuccotti Park nitwits? Tax the Rich?

At least that "Eat the Rich" thing ain't catchin' on:cool: