and i thought i'd heard every excuse already....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Well, the only excuse I can accept about the weather issue (e que 'ta lluviendo, tu ve) is, that most are ill equipped clothing wise for expeditions thru the rain.

I too remember walking thru the snow... sometimes more than knee deep for 2 kms each way. Had to come back at noon for dinner and go back to school two hours later and walk back home for supper... and no moto concho in sight... actually, it was so imaginably and brutally bad ;), riding on the back of a bike was verboten anyway, CRUEL!
I'm almost afraid to tell that "my" local friends... the sheer thought of it could affect them so much, I might have to send them to anxiety therapy (on my tab, of course).
Winter mornings used to still be as dark as the night, we didn't get to start school at 2PM.
We lived close to a forest... pine trees loaded with snow... the fields "glowing" almost like phosphorescence under the moon's light... a beauty to behold, but still scary for li'l J-D. :pirate: ... at times. I didn't know of the boogieman yet, but there were other "stories" hauting a little boy's mind.
I used to carry a plastic garbage bag... to sit and slide on down the last stretch down hill to school -"ai que comodo!"- but back... you really can't slide on up hill, now can you.
But somehow, we survived, and that facing being ridiculed by our parents, telling how THOUGH THEY had it, should we ever had tried to complain.

:D ... J-D.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Growing up in Holland school being 10kms away and going on a bicycle with temperatures just above or below freezing, raining and wet to the bone. I remember one day my mom sending me to school with a fever because she didn't want me to miss a test.
One other thing that makes me laugh is that when a woman just did the ironing she can't open the fridge because otherwise she'll get an attack.
We go to a sauna and then after wards jump into freezing water!!

Chrismic

Mar 28, 2008
This not only a system or problem in DR,

Same system in Cuba, if it had rain hard one day, can they very easy close the school next day, It seem like they look after reasons to close school down.
Same after a hurricane, Close they shop and restaurant two days before, but when the hurricane has left will they not open the day after, when weather is nice,
No they wait one or two more days before they open again,

If it is raining, will workers wait to go to work to the rain has stop.
And if it has rained a few days and the sun come back , is it no problem to take a half day of so you can do some laundry.

If the bus that pick up workers is broke, will no workers come to work that day, nobody will think about alternative transports.

The most crazy is when it is night school, and they come to their classroom and the light bulb is broken and there is no spare left, Then must all student go home without no educations this evening.

It is another way of thinking and no responsibility. In my country is it never any excuse to come late or not go to work, and school close only if it become over - 25 Celsius

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I don't know why the OP is surprised....the DR is a nation that looks for reasons not to work...(but instead to DRINK)....check out your local church on the next Saint Virgin de la Calle Day or any of the other 261 religious holidays....empty.... but pass by the colmado or car wash....they'll be toasting the virgin saint til the place closes....

I'll also remind you that no one works on Sundays....they go to church....I guess they go late when the Saturday hangover has subsided.

The public schools teach;
IMF Grant Writing & Accounting 101: Associated program, "Ni hay un peso 102"

Dominican business 101 & 102: How to not show up and expect to get paid, how to show up late and make it your clients fault.

Electrical Engineering: How to make do with what you don't have 102
and

Manana: Siempre MANANA, a course dedicated to getting nothing done TODAY

Sep 22, 2009
"No! No e MI culpa... e que lo que pensaba YO, e que TU iba a..."

:cheeky: ... J-D.

Two key phrases:

1) "Mire lo paso fue..."
2) "Mire lo que sucede..."

Whatever follows the ellispe is generally an elaborate lie, and an attempt to explain an event that may or may not have taken place, using no factual or empirical data.

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
Just a suggestion. Obtain the cell numbers to the director and the teachers? Call them...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Forget about the rain excuse, that will happen always (I actually loved when I woke up and the day was rainy), the problem here is that the director didn't call you when he noticed your child was all alone, he should have called to let you know the new schedule for that day.

Don't waste time in the rain thing, you best get used to it. But do make a complain of him not calling you anytime something similar happens.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not For Communication

Obtain the cell numbers to the director and the teachers? Call them...

Does not work.
Cellular's battery is dead, not switched on, doesn't work... because of the rain. :tired:

RUBIO4U

Apr 1, 2008
Funny

Does not work.
Cellular's battery is dead, not switched on, doesn't work... because of the rain. :tired:

Let's be serious. If you got all of those problems our suggestions will not help anyway.

Jun 15, 2008
Why didn't your child use their cell phone to let you know they got out early?

are u serious? she's a five-year-old for god's sake...

and yes, i have all the numbers, but c'mon, i'm not gonna call the school every day to ask if they close early...

anyhow, after the long and not so pleasant lecture i gave the director he's been extremely nice to me... so far... let's hope this doesn't happen again...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I wonder what happened to all the other children ! no other parents asked this little girl if mummy was coming, when she was the last one sitting waiting.

Mar 2, 2008
For the sake of your peace of mind and the safety of your children? Yes, otherwise go back to your original plan or perhaps what the director suggested?

I'm not sure what my original plan was. What was it?

My peace of mind is just fine, and my children are a long way from here. Perhaps the two situations are related.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I owned private schools in Arizona for 20 years and they are currently owned by my sons. We are goverened by the state health dept. If we had done such a thing, we would have been shut down immediatly. There is NO EXCUSE for leaving a child by themself. NONE....The owner or principle who let this happened should be horsewhipped. IT JUST ISN'T DONE.....There are NO acceptable excuses...Period