and i thought i'd heard every excuse already....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
are u serious? she's a five-year-old for god's sake...

and yes, i have all the numbers, but c'mon, i'm not gonna call the school every day to ask if they close early...

anyhow, after the long and not so pleasant lecture i gave the director he's been extremely nice to me... so far... let's hope this doesn't happen again...

If you want to avoid more headaches from that cause, just make a habit when raining mild-heavy to call the school and ask them if they will release the kids early.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I deleted some posts. Please stay on topic, any more off-topic posts will be deleted.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I know 3-year olds who can use computers so of course a 5-year old would be able to use a cell phone. The point is they should not need to - the school is responsible for letting parents know and in the OP's case they did not fulfil that basic responsibility.

In any case most sensible schools don't let children take cellphones, MP3s, etc. for reasons that should be obvious. Or at the very least if they do have cellphones they have to keep them in their bags and are only allowed to use them for emergencies.

I can't see myself getting my son a cellphone until he is a teenager.

Mar 2, 2008
Placing that kind of responsibility on 5-year old children is ridiculous. JD must be losing it to even suggest such a thing.

Aside from the obvious questions of affordability, classroom disruption, and about a dozen other issues, proposing the prospect of children being held accountable for the actions of their school is insane.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I'm serious as a heart attack.

Are you implying that a 5 yr old child isn't smart enough to use a cel phone?

I see TONS of little kids with cel phones, even Blackberrys. In this country, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

ANY cel phone can be set up to speed dial a number. How hard is it to show a child to push "1" and "send"?

Yeah, phones they have... and plenty of'em... and with features even you and I might not yet know about, but:

" e que no tenia minutos!"

No no JD, Kids are NOT supposed to schlep cells into to school. Imagine how the classes would ever go on... with all the "funny" ring tones buzzing off here and there every other minute or the other children nervously checking on the status of their phone because "nobody" called yet again.

As WayToGo posted. There is NO excuse when it comes to kids.
Kids are the schools RESPONSIBILITY for all the time they are there.
That "director" is what is internationally recognized as a total IDIOT.

:) ... J-D.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I know 3-year olds who can use computers so of course a 5-year old would be able to use a cell phone. The point is they should not need to - the school is responsible for letting parents know and in the OP's case they did not fulfil that basic responsibility.

In any case most sensible schools don't let children take cellphones, MP3s, etc. for reasons that should be obvious. Or at the very least if they do have cellphones they have to keep them in their bags and are only allowed to use them for emergencies.

I can't see myself getting my son a cellphone until he is a teenager.

RIGHT ON.....That is the problem .....Responsibility is ALWAYS with the school. If the teachers and schoolmaster don't act responsibly, how will they ever teach the right values to the children. Will it take missing or dead children for the adults (and I use this term loosely) to do their do diligence?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
JD, you may as well say that sending the child to school without a bodyguard makes the parents idiots. A 5-year old may have the skills to operate a cell phone but it's far-fetched to visualise a situation where they would have the self-possession to make a discreet call if they were kidnapped.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
The OP stated that her kid was in a public school where in general the teachers are not as responsible as the way they're supposed to be. I can only speak about my experiences with the international school where my daughter goes and I must say that they're responsible. One thing I was thinking though is when a 5 year old has a cell phone wouldn't he run the risk that it will be taken away by a bully?
Quite often my step kids arrived at their school only to find it to be closed for the day without any prior notice. The only time the kids are advised of something is when they have to take food to the school because there's some kind of party.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Obviously, they should only be used for emergencies, and I would consider a kid left alone at school to be classified as such. If I had a kid that got snatched by some pedo, I'd certainly want them to have a cel ph. that could possibly be used to locate them.

I agree the director is an idiot. The world is full of idiots. To put my kids in their hands with no back up plan would make me an idiot too..

Just out of curiosity, if someone grabbed your child, most likely thrown into a car, what good would a cell phone do? If the cell phone had gps, who here would track it. When the police are called, I wonder what their response time would be. And how much would they want to do anything. If the police were lucky enough for someone to give them the exact coordinates (in an acceptable amount of time), would they understand longitude and latitude? Even if someone got a license number, where would you start to look (in time)? And what are the odds that the perp took the child directly to his (or her) home? And how long would it be before someone older took the phone away? The prevention is in the school and awareness. The cell phone idea is useless like tits on a bull.
I owned private schools for 20 years and made sure 600+ children were safe at all times. The only reasonable use of the cell phone is for the child to call the parent immediately if ANYTHING is out of the norm. and how many young children would recognise something out of the norm? And that is if the school will permit cell phones. Most do not. I am all for back-up plans, but it has to be a reality plan. In 20 years, I never lost a child. And they didn?t have cell phones. When the parent walked out the door, safety was mine and my staffs responsibility, not the students and not the parents.

Reactions: AlterEgo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A an implanted tracking chip would be more practical, if it came to that. Most kidnappings of small children involve deceiving them into thinking the kidnapper is a friend of the parents - and they often are, as in the recent case where one of the kidnappers was an aunt or cousin. So the child doesn't even know anything is wrong. By the time they do, the kidnapper will have had ample chance to relieve the child of his or her possessions.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Like most kids my 9-yr old loses things like water bottles all the time. I can't even begin to count how many cell phones he would have got through since starting pre-school at the age of 4!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
The OP stated that her kid was in a public school where in general the teachers are not as responsible as the way they're supposed to be. I can only speak about my experiences with the international school where my daughter goes and I must say that they're responsible. One thing I was thinking though is when a 5 year old has a cell phone wouldn't he run the risk that it will be taken away by a bully?
Quite often my step kids arrived at their school only to find it to be closed for the day without any prior notice. The only time the kids are advised of something is when they have to take food to the school because there's some kind of party.

I agree to the facts you recount.
HOWEVER, I can NOT agree with the probably not consciously implied suggestion that only teachers and directors of expensive private schools are to be assumed responsible and those of cheaper or public schools.... well, you know, like it was OK for them to be brain dead (I don't think this was your point, Frank, but to the reader it could look like it).
ANY ADULT, paid or not, is to be responsible with children. PERIOD.

Then again, I'd go along with what has been suggested here and there along this thread and also regretfully have to remind that IF a parent cares for it's children education, public schools here in the DR don't seem to be an option.
There are schools which do quite well for as "little" as USD 75.oo a month.

... J-D.

Jun 18, 2007
That was not what I was trying to say, my comments were based on my experiences with the public school system and culture here in the DR and based on my only experience with a private school here.
The other day my wife forgot to put juice and something to eat in my daughters backpack, turned out that the teacher bought something from her own money for my daughter which was very much appreciated I must say!!
This dedication I have not seen in public schools but it doesn't mean that it's not there, just haven't seen it.

To me teaching is like a calling to teach the best they can to our future which are our kids. My observations are that in the public school of my step children it's more like a job for the teachers than a calling. They just want their quincena!!!
In 1999 I taught English voluntarily to 5 and 6 graders of a public school on a small island in Panama, the reason I did this was because the teacher herself asked me since my English was much better than hers and she wanted that her students would receive the best education available. To me it was a pleasure/honor/pay back because these kids were the children of people who taught me a lot of things I had no knowledge off before.

Having mentioned the above it doesn't mean that I'm implying that all private schools are better, I've heard of quite a few private schools that don't live up to the standards they say they do. I believe that when a parent is able and willing to provide private schooling for his children that he/her will be more involved in the education of their children and therefore not excepting the BS as the OP stated.
This might be another reason that the public school system is bad here because the parents are not involved in the education of their children.
Example, the other day we were invited for a parents meeting at the public school of my stepchildren, beside my wife and I only one other parent showed up!!!!
The school system won't improve if the parents are not involved therefore change of culture is crucial for the future of the DR.

I agree to the facts you recount.
HOWEVER, I can NOT agree with the probably not consciously implied suggestion that only teachers and directors of expensive private schools are to be assumed responsible and those of cheaper or public schools.... well, you know, like it was OK for them to be brain dead (I don't think this was your point, Frank, but to the reader it could look like it).
ANY ADULT, paid or not, is to be responsible with children. PERIOD.

Then again, I'd go along with what has been suggested here and there along this thread and also regretfully have to remind that IF a parent cares for it's children education, public schools here in the DR don't seem to be an option.
There are schools which do quite well for as "little" as USD 75.oo a month.

... J-D.

Jun 15, 2008
I'm serious as a heart attack.

Are you implying that a 5 yr old child isn't smart enough to use a cel phone?

I see TONS of little kids with cel phones, even Blackberrys. In this country, it doesn't surprise me one bit.

ANY cel phone can be set up to speed dial a number. How hard is it to show a child to push "1" and "send"?

of course she's smart enough, but still, i find the suggestion kind of ridiculous...

agree, that is one more reason i wouldn't let my kid walk around with a cell phone - i don't want her to be beat up by some kids to take the phone from her

does anyone home school?

apart from, as stated before - my ONLY choice for now - taking my kid to public school, i also home school her, and i guess i've taught her well enough because she was transfered from preschool to first grade after only 2 month of starting school. so to all those who stress out how irresponsible it is to let my kid go to public school in DR - it's not about responsibility right now, it's about awaiting temporarily till there is a chance to change to a good private school.

Jun 18, 2007
Looks like you have a good head on your shoulders. In life sometimes one has to improvise in order to make the best of it and it seems that you're doing that.

of course she's smart enough, but still, i find the suggestion kind of ridiculous...

agree, that is one more reason i wouldn't let my kid walk around with a cell phone - i don't want her to be beat up by some kids to take the phone from her

apart from, as stated before - my ONLY choice for now - taking my kid to public school, i also home school her, and i guess i've taught her well enough because she was transfered from preschool to first grade after only 2 month of starting school. so to all those who stress out how irresponsible it is to let my kid go to public school in DR - it's not about responsibility right now, it's about awaiting temporarily till there is a chance to change to a good private school.