Annoying Dominican Habits

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Thought I'd start a humorous thread on some little annoying things in Dominican culture or particular to your Dominican GF, wife, worker or husband.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Mixing concrete in the middle of the asphalt road.
2. Opening the orange juice but only pulling the white inner tab partially open (then when I pour is splatters off the tab)
3. Wrapping a napkin around the top of my beer right in front of me so tight I have to shred it to drink the beer. Wasting napkins and wholly unnecessary
4. Never putting the top back on toothpaste
5. Always waiting until something breaks to fix it, even when it is obviously ready to break.
6. Assuming any empty solar means it is available for a garbage dump or for grazing livestock or both
7. Dangerously passing in a tapon only because they must be too important to wait like civilized persons.
8. Fake red and blue police lights in the front of their SUVs - the wannabe VIP syndrome
9. Girls with nice round posteriors wearing lycra so tight it jambs up their butt-crack ( makes for my distracted driving ;) )
10. Men who call themselves mechanics or electricians who only only a hammer, one flat blade screwdriver and a rusty crescent wrench
11. Tightly double knotting the plastic bags in the supermarket so only a super patient person with nimble fingers would take the time to untie them

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Billy you covered a lot of them .you forgot opening a can with your favorite knife than breaking the point after you showed them a can opener , also driving slow in the left lane than looking at you like your crazy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Left out the cutting in lines all the time. And cars sticking out onto your path when turning onto a street because they can't just wait and you have to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid them. Also they will give up their first born to get in front of you...........

Another one. Parking one inch from your car in a parking lot to get 10 feet closer to the door..........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The double knotted supermarket bags drive me nuts. I sometimes forget to tell them “no knots!”

I mentioned before that our long time maid died last month from Covid, and we have a new girl. She’s doing well but a few days ago I saw her starting to open a can with one of my knives. I stopped her and showed her we have two can openers.

Also, similar to CBs juice story, I also find sone don’t fully remove seals on anything. For example, Rica butter tub has a foil inner seal; maids peel it back a little and leave it.

Don’t get Mr AE started on plumbers, mechanics or electricians, he’s been cursing all week.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Left out the cutting in lines all the time. And cars sticking out onto your path when turning onto a street because they can't just wait and you have to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid them. Also they will give up their first born to get in front of you...........

Another one. Parking one inch from your car in a parking lot to get 10 feet closer to the door..........
I always park far away instead of fight for the spot closest to the door. but absolutely they will park blocking the lane in the supermarket waiting for a close space rather than walk an extra 100 feet

Reactions: Peterj and JD Jones

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The double knotted supermarket bags drive me nuts. I sometimes forget to tell them “no knots!”

I mentioned before that our long time maid died last month from Covid, and we have a new girl. She’s doing well but a few days ago I saw her starting to open a can with one of my knives. I stopped her and showed her we have two can openers.

Also, similar to CBs juice story, I also find sone don’t fully remove seals on anything. For example, Rica butter tub has a foil inner seal; maids peel it back a little and leave it.

Don’t get Mr AE started on plumbers, mechanics or electricians, he’s been cursing all week.
Maybe he should have stayed away longer ?
Yeah I have experienced the butter thing with the inner foil, but recently heating the whole tub in the microwave which slightly deformed the tub but absolutely ruined the butter. And just when I had dinner rolls ready for our Noche Buena

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Thought I'd start a humorous thread on some little annoying things in Dominican culture or particular to your Dominican GF, wife, worker or husband.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Mixing concrete in the middle of the asphalt road.
2. Opening the orange juice but only pulling the white inner tab partially open (then when I pour is splatters off the tab)
3. Wrapping a napkin around the top of my beer right in front of me so tight I have to shred it to drink the beer. Wasting napkins and wholly unnecessary
4. Never putting the top back on toothpaste
5. Always waiting until something breaks to fix it, even when it is obviously ready to break.
6. Assuming any empty solar means it is available for a garbage dump or for grazing livestock or both
7. Dangerously passing in a tapon only because they must be too important to wait like civilized persons.
8. Fake red and blue police lights in the front of their SUVs - the wannabe VIP syndrome
9. Girls with nice round posteriors wearing lycra so tight it jambs up their butt-crack ( makes for my distracted driving ;) )
10. Men who call themselves mechanics or electricians who only only a hammer, one flat blade screwdriver and a rusty crescent wrench
11. Tightly double knotting the plastic bags in the supermarket so only a super patient person with nimble fingers would take the time to untie them
Some good ones there. Totally agree with number 3. Why do they spend an age in putting on a pretty dress for your beer bottle, right in front of you? Just gimme the damn beer!!!
Number 11 is also a pet peeve of mine!

Reactions: chico bill

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The normalcy of waiting an hour at a bank for something that should take 10 minutes.

Anything to do with the way people drive here.

Wringing out the mop with their hands even when the bucket came with the strainer thing.

Screaming at kids or smacking them for minor things.

Hacking and making constant nasal noises.

The sense of entitlement and lack of integrity.

That one bothers me more when it’s a relatively educated person.

Markwilltravel

Delicious are the vanities that consume us.
Jan 2, 2022
Canada
Billy you covered a lot of them .you forgot opening a can with your favorite knife than breaking the point after you showed them a can opener , also driving slow in the left lane than looking at you like your crazy.
I now know why all the tips of my steak knives, were missing or bent at the last airbnb I stayed at.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Getting a little personal there. I do that too, and I'm not Dominican. LOL! My mother would find a use for everything, including a little piece of tin foil. Old habits die hard.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I am convinced they are completely incapable of putting a LID back on ANYTHING ... its absolutely mind blowing that they cant screw a lid back on spices, jars , etc
After 5 Years she finally does use a real Can opener for everything and loves it now.
Wtf is up with the Dish washing liquid though... we go through literally a gallon a Month and I dont dare question it ,, for very obvious reasons ..

Reactions: scotia and cavok

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
I am convinced they are completely incapable of putting a LID back on ANYTHING ... its absolutely mind blowing that they cant screw a lid back on spices, jars , etc
After 5 Years she finally does use a real Can opener for everything and loves it now.
Wtf is up with the Dish washing liquid though... we go through literally a gallon a Month and I dont dare question it ,, for very obvious reasons ..
That's easily explained : they use it for EVERYTHING. Car washing, pet washing, floors, outdoor tables and chairs, etc etc.
Maybe some dishes :ROFLMAO:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That's easily explained : they use it for EVERYTHING. Car washing, pet washing, floors, outdoor tables and chairs, etc etc.
Maybe some dishes :ROFLMAO:
I think you right , the floor gets washed like every 2 days ,, I guess I should just keep my mouth shut for sure .. lmao

Aug 21, 2007
Cutting in line gets my goat. I would gladly allow the person to go ahead of me if they simply ask.

Always blaming others, never accepting their own blame.

Not seeing that after dusting she left all the pictures hanging on the wall crooked.

Thinking that if you allow them to borrow something, they can keep it. Forever.

Not quoting a price for some work they are going to do, then when they are finished and I ask "How much?" They respond, "Just give me something." When I know I am paying more than they deserve and I ask, "Is this okay?" They respond, "Esta bien." When I give them less than they deserve, they respond, "Esta bien." in the same voice. Why don't they just tell me how much they want???????

I could continue this list, but truly, I love living in this country and work very hard to overlook these idiosyncrasies. I bet I have some of my own that they could write about!