Annoying Dominican Habits

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
Littering in an unabashed, joyful and fully enthusiastic way. I knew I was done in DR when, riding the guagua, a lovely young lady hurled her styrofoam cup and takeout container out of the window with a good-natured smile.
It was just kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides my concerns about my personal safety, I found that the level of societal stupidity in the DR really got to me and stressed me out.
Don't get me wrong, there is PLENTY to criticize in my own, Canadian culture but rather than feel relaxed in the DR, I was usually just annoyed by the sheer DUMBNESS of most people and their idiotic and illogical behaviours.
I found that my reaction to this was to try avoiding interactions that I knew would result in me shaking my head and silently mouthing 'what the f---?!?!'. At that point I figured I should move on, because what's the point of living somewhere if most of your interactions just leave you feeling aghast and disappointed?
Although the superficial cheerfulness, warmth and solidarity of Dominicans was pleasant and I do miss that, along with the great weather, incredible bachata, and pretty beaches.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Line cutting makes me livid. I’ve started to calling them on it because it drives me mad.

No es mi culpa when I have witnessed the fault first hand…I have taken to asking “¿Entonces quien?” to which I receive a blank, confused stare followed by “No se”. Then usually some play by play of said fault with no further acknowledgment of responsibility.

The excessive use of Cloro is another one that bothers me. But better than having an amoeba. Mi suegra now uses more vinegar & lime juice as a disinfectant since Covid hit.

And while there are many annoyances, the positives must be also acknowledged.

I must reiterate that the annoyances I experience living here are in no way limited to my interactions the poor and uneducated.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
1. Lack of road courtesy.
2. Parking right at or within feet of an intersection.
3. Standing in a group on the sidewalk having a conversation blocking the whole sidewalk, this applies to doorways, shopping isles.
4. Talking really loud when they can see you are counting money or on the phone.
5. Blocking the sidewalk by parking their motorcycle on it.
All of these are annoying but not enough to cry about. The dozens of hugs I get from kids and ex students makes all those things insignificant.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Littering in an unabashed, joyful and fully enthusiastic way. I knew I was done in DR when, riding the guagua, a lovely young lady hurled her styrofoam cup and takeout container out of the window with a good-natured smile.
It was just kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides my concerns about my personal safety, I found that the level of societal stupidity in the DR really got to me and stressed me out.
Don't get me wrong, there is PLENTY to criticize in my own, Canadian culture but rather than feel relaxed in the DR, I was usually just annoyed by the sheer DUMBNESS of most people and their idiotic and illogical behaviours.
I found that my reaction to this was to try avoiding interactions that I knew would result in me shaking my head and silently mouthing 'what the f---?!?!'. At that point I figured I should move on, because what's the point of living somewhere if most of your interactions just leave you feeling aghast and disappointed?
Although the superficial cheerfulness, warmth and solidarity of Dominicans was pleasant and I do miss that, along with the great weather, incredible bachata, and pretty beaches.
I can relate but in a slightly different way.
My camel's back broke one day when I happened to be driving behind a guagua and someone decided to get rid of their take out container.
It made contact with and resulted in all manner of bones and other assorted greasy items smearing my windshield front left to right.
Puke city.
I could have killed if I were the killing type.
I do agree with you though...
I had many pet peeves while living in the D.R. but I have just as many back here in Canada.

Reactions: nanita and thompstr

nanita

Jul 28, 2014
I can relate but in a slightly different way.
My camel's back broke one day when I happened to be driving behind a guagua and someone decided to get rid of their take out container.
It made contact with and resulted in all manner of bones and other assorted greasy items smearing my windshield front left to right.
Puke city.
I could have killed if I were the killing type.
I do agree with you though...
I had many pet peeves while living in the D.R. but I have just as many back here in Canada.
OMG maybe YOU were driving behind OUR guagua!!!!! Haha, probably not, but wouldn't that be a coincidence!!!!

Reactions: flyinroom

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Overall I have adapted to most annoying habits...... like if it doesnt affected me personally, i dont give a toss anymore. Sad, I know.

The top annoying thing to me, now, is how resigned Dominicans are.
Se fue la luz ? shrug
Roads are 💩 ? shrug
Kids cant read or right at the age of 10 ? shrug
And on and on and on....... politicians are not held responsible for anything.
Back home in France there would be blood--- literally-- on the streets for a third of what goes on here. Politicians would be hanging from bridges and lamp posts.

The good thing out of that--- for me--- is that dominicans are not into confrontation, like at all. They huff and they puff, but they hardly ever blow your house down.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
The French comparison is so true. Everything in this thread is so funny. Honking moto horns when they shouldn’t, NOT honking when they SHOULD. I’m looking at you Mr moto concho.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Overall I have adapted to most annoying habits...... like if it doesnt affected me personally, i dont give a toss anymore. Sad, I know.

The top annoying thing to me, now, is how resigned Dominicans are.
Se fue la luz ? shrug
Roads are 💩 ? shrug
Kids cant read or right at the age of 10 ? shrug
And on and on and on....... politicians are not held responsible for anything.
Back home in France there would be blood--- literally-- on the streets for a third of what goes on here. Politicians would be hanging from bridges and lamp posts.

The good thing out of that--- for me--- is that dominicans are not into confrontation, like at all. They huff and they puff, but they hardly ever blow your house down.

was that intentional or a type ?
lmao

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Line cutting makes me livid. I’ve started to calling them on it because it drives me mad.

No es mi culpa when I have witnessed the fault first hand…I have taken to asking “¿Entonces quien?” to which I receive a blank, confused stare followed by “No se”. Then usually some play by play of said fault with no further acknowledgment of responsibility.

The excessive use of Cloro is another one that bothers me. But better than having an amoeba. Mi suegra now uses more vinegar & lime juice as a disinfectant since Covid hit.

And while there are many annoyances, the positives must be also acknowledged.

I must reiterate that the annoyances I experience living here are in no way limited to my interactions the poor and uneducated.
What line? Most just walk in and start yelling what they want.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Thought I'd start a humorous thread on some little annoying things in Dominican culture or particular to your Dominican GF, wife, worker or husband.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Mixing concrete in the middle of the asphalt road.
2. Opening the orange juice but only pulling the white inner tab partially open (then when I pour is splatters off the tab)
3. Wrapping a napkin around the top of my beer right in front of me so tight I have to shred it to drink the beer. Wasting napkins and wholly unnecessary
4. Never putting the top back on toothpaste
5. Always waiting until something breaks to fix it, even when it is obviously ready to break.
6. Assuming any empty solar means it is available for a garbage dump or for grazing livestock or both
7. Dangerously passing in a tapon only because they must be too important to wait like civilized persons.
8. Fake red and blue police lights in the front of their SUVs - the wannabe VIP syndrome
9. Girls with nice round posteriors wearing lycra so tight it jambs up their butt-crack ( makes for my distracted driving ;) )
10. Men who call themselves mechanics or electricians who only only a hammer, one flat blade screwdriver and a rusty crescent wrench
11. Tightly double knotting the plastic bags in the supermarket so only a super patient person with nimble fingers would take the time to untie them
#11 !😡😡😡😡😡