Annoying Dominican Habits

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
Some good ones there. Totally agree with number 3. Why do they spend an age in putting on a pretty dress for your beer bottle, right in front of you? Just gimme the damn beer!!!
Number 11 is also a pet peeve of mine!

Some good ones there. Totally agree with number 3. Why do they spend an age in putting on a pretty dress for your beer bottle, right in front of you? Just gimme the damn beer!!!
Number 11 is also a pet peeve of mine!
Its so you can clean the top rim of the beer bottle, check sometimes really dirty!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Going back to the tying of fundas: the other thing that makes me insane is the way the poor supermarket baggers actually bag.

Darlinos: I worked in a grocery store summers when I was in college. I was the deli girl, but I got called upon to bag, whenever my help was needed.

What's with the thing where the baggers put ALL of the milk, ALL of the sugar, ALL of everything heavy in one bag?

I've started bringing my own bags, bc you know, I am so ecologically conscious. And I work with them and say, watch and learn. You balance the bags. They look at me like I have red hair. I pack the bags. I tip them anyway.

They watch. Do they learn?

Reactions: AlaPlaya and Auryn

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Cutting in line gets my goat. I would gladly allow the person to go ahead of me if they simply ask.

Always blaming others, never accepting their own blame.

Not seeing that after dusting she left all the pictures hanging on the wall crooked.

Thinking that if you allow them to borrow something, they can keep it. Forever.

Not quoting a price for some work they are going to do, then when they are finished and I ask "How much?" They respond, "Just give me something." When I know I am paying more than they deserve and I ask, "Is this okay?" They respond, "Esta bien." When I give them less than they deserve, they respond, "Esta bien." in the same voice. Why don't they just tell me how much they want???????

I could continue this list, but truly, I love living in this country and work very hard to overlook these idiosyncrasies. I bet I have some of my own that they could write about!
Ai de Meems, Lindsey: the dusting and never re-aligning. But then again, I would never, ever go crazy on my ama de llaves, bc what she does for what I pay her is so incredible. Her other thing is never managing to put the handheld shower back in its stationary position. My Dominican/Dutch friend scolds me all the time that I pay her too much. But for me, what I pay her and what she does for me and what her work would be in the US, I will nevah, evah kvetch!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
The double knotted supermarket bags drive me nuts. I sometimes forget to tell them “no knots!”

I mentioned before that our long time maid died last month from Covid, and we have a new girl. She’s doing well but a few days ago I saw her starting to open a can with one of my knives. I stopped her and showed her we have two can openers.

Also, similar to CBs juice story, I also find sone don’t fully remove seals on anything. For example, Rica butter tub has a foil inner seal; maids peel it back a little and leave it.

Don’t get Mr AE started on plumbers, mechanics or electricians, he’s been cursing all week.
i bought a good can opener from amazon. After a while they preferred it.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Littering in an unabashed, joyful and fully enthusiastic way. I knew I was done in DR when, riding the guagua, a lovely young lady hurled her styrofoam cup and takeout container out of the window with a good-natured smile.
It was just kind of the straw that broke the camel's back. Besides my concerns about my personal safety, I found that the level of societal stupidity in the DR really got to me and stressed me out.
Don't get me wrong, there is PLENTY to criticize in my own, Canadian culture but rather than feel relaxed in the DR, I was usually just annoyed by the sheer DUMBNESS of most people and their idiotic and illogical behaviours.
I found that my reaction to this was to try avoiding interactions that I knew would result in me shaking my head and silently mouthing 'what the f---?!?!'. At that point I figured I should move on, because what's the point of living somewhere if most of your interactions just leave you feeling aghast and disappointed?
Although the superficial cheerfulness, warmth and solidarity of Dominicans was pleasant and I do miss that, along with the great weather, incredible bachata, and pretty beaches.
my sister visited from Canada last week. From what I understand there things are very stressed with the covid masking / no masking ,prices, politics, speaking your mind on things. government related issues. I have been away from Canada since covid and sense that it is a different place.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Yesterday I was making a right hand turn, signalled from a long way back, and a moto shot out of nowhere trying to pass on my right side before I turned.
He tottered a bit but didn’t fall off. He shook his head at me - but of course not due to relief that his idiocy didn’t result in him being hurt.
Because “no es mi culpa”, por supuesto, it was the gringas fault for following the traffic rules.
Usually I see them when they try to overtake like that but this time I didn’t because I was nearly stopped before making the turn. Normally in this situation they will pass on the left into the oncoming traffic, as one does.
This guy would have only fell off his bike because there was about 2ft between a rock wall and my car on the right, and he had to slow down once he got to my passenger side. Or if he drove into me as I made the turn.
Close call, very annoying.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The best way to untie the plastic bags is to take one side and wind it as super-tight as you can then push it into the knot. Works most of the time.
When I catch them tying knots I have them remove the knots or re-bag.

Some of the bag folks act like they're in a contest to see who can twist and tie the bag handles in the most elaborate way.

They put 6 cartons of milk in one bag "BECAUSE" they fit.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I catch them tying knots I have them remove the knots or re-bag.

Some of the bag folks act like they're in a contest to see who can twist and tie the bag handles in the most elaborate way.

They put 6 cartons of milk in one bag "BECAUSE" they fit.
My point egg-zack-lee.
Then again, I don't know why I make such a big deal-io about it, bc I don't carry the bags up my 3 flights.
I do always make the point that cold goes with cold. Which seems to be a revolutionary concept.
Eso es, I guess.

Reactions: chico bill

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why even bother with plastic bags. Just buy a few of bags they sell at checkout and bring them with you. I just hand the bag to the guy and he fills it up without the plastic. Easy to carry and easy to unload.................

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Why even bother with plastic bags. Just buy a few of bags they sell at checkout and bring them with you. I just hand the bag to the guy and he fills it up without the plastic. Easy to carry and easy to unload.................
Sky you have some of the best DR related advice. At the same time you are doing a good thing for the environment.

Reactions: CristoRey

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
They still oddly try to knot the handles.

I have them "pack" them, and then I walk myself over to the cart return and repack them so they're balanced. But since balancing a grocery bag is a common-sense kinda thing, I just assume it won't ever be done right.