Another accident because of the bad road between Sosua and Cabarete

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
They don't generate revenue to maintain the road. It's better to let the infinite stream of idiots pay for the road.
True, but they slow down the traffic and reduce road carnage...which is the main point, right?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Most of the north coast highway between Gaspar Hernandez and Cabrera is in excellent condition. Cars don't drive faster there nor are there more accidents there.

Saying that well-paved, well maintained roads will cause more accidents is the most absurd statement I've ever heard.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Most of the north coast highway between Gaspar Hernandez and Cabrera is in excellent condition. Cars don't drive faster there nor are there more accidents there.

Saying that well-paved, well maintained roads will cause more accidents is the most absurd statement I've ever heard.
That road is not a fraction as traveled as the road between Sosua & Cararette...and Puerto Plata.

But I do agree: heavily-trafficked roads should be in good condition.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015

And, the well-paved, well-maintained roads cost money which is usually the barrier to having them. I'm proposing a means to achieving two goals: good roads and reducing dangerous driving.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That road is not a fraction as traveled as the road between Sosua & Cararette...and Puerto Plata.

But I do agree: heavily-trafficked roads should be in good condition.

The section of hwy west of Cangrejo to Puerto Plata is generally in very good condition. It is even more heavily trafficked than between Sosua and Cabarete.

I haven't heard of any accidents there(I'm sure there must be some), but not like you hear about in that short section in the Coco Palms area.

Aug 21, 2007
And one more accident in the same spot as the bus-car collision that started this thread (I believe). Surprised Windy didn't mention it. It was right by where he lives. Two ambulances. It looked like another guagua overturned. Sad.

Lindsey

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Maybe if shakedown cops were donating their I'll gotten gains to pay for road repairs we wouldn't complain so much.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
True, but they slow down the traffic and reduce road carnage...which is the main point, right?

Sure. Okay. I wasn't disputing your point.

Why am I the only recommending a means to pay for the road (and the speed bumps) instead of just lamenting that the roads need to be repaired?

You don't like a stupd tax, fine. Recommend a better way.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sure. Okay. I wasn't disputing your point.

Why am I the only recommending a means to pay for the road (and the speed bumps) instead of just lamenting that the roads need to be repaired?

You don't like a stupd tax, fine. Recommend a better way.

The supply of asphalt and labor is there to repair the roads. The money is going somewhere else. Think of where that money might be going instead of doing what it should. This has been a "situation" in Cabarete for many years now.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Same stretch of road that continues to claim lives.  Many of them innocent victims who were not behind the wheel.

That particular stretch was actually in really good condition once.  For about one or two months.  They had resurfaced the entire length and had done a half decent job.

Then someone in Cabarete local authority had a bright idea that all the sewage in Cabarete would be re-routed from septic tanks which feared was causing contamination to the bedrock and leaching into the sea.  The idea was to have a central sewage processing plant opposite the entrance to Coconut Palms.  Work started in record time and progressed at blistering pace.  The brand new road was dug up at 10m strips and the pipework was laid down.  Then a five foot section of the main road was dug up and the main branch pipe was laid all the way from Cabarete to the processing plant near Coconut Palms.

Five years later............That five foot wide section of the main road was never re-surfaced and it took almost three years to fill in the 10m segments across the road to patch up.

Cabarete still use septic tanks.  The waste plant was never commissioned and as a result of the narrower road, around one person per month loses their life on that stretch.  Someone got rich from the unfinished project.

Welcome to Cabarete!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
While returning from Cabarete today and public bus Toyota Hiace was riding my a*s for the last few miles honking his horn trying to pass even though there were 3 cars and a camion, bumper to bumper, in front of me. He pulled out at the NEXT gas station but was nearly hit head on by another taxi. Finally he passed around La Papaterra - only to wind up pulling over at the Texaco. I offered him the one-finger salute as I passed by his stopped taxi.

Who hires these drivers and how many more Dominicans will be killed by these low IQ idiots driving these vans ?
Do Dominican care if they are the next victims ?

Then I was past by two motos racing each other East of Cangrejo, one on each side of me and one almost killed on the Puente as the guagua ahead was near the bridge rail. Sparks flew as the moto scraped the bridge !
It would only take some motos being seized or Taxi drivers arrested for dangerous driving for the word to get around - but I guess that doesn't come with a propina.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
While returning from Cabarete today and public bus Toyota Hiace was riding my a*s for the last few miles honking his horn trying to pass even though there were 3 cars and a camion, bumper to bumper, in front of me. He pulled out at the NEXT gas station but was nearly hit head on by another taxi. Finally he passed around La Papaterra - only to wind up pulling over at the Texaco. I offered him the one-finger salute as I passed by his stopped taxi.

Who hires these drivers and how many more Dominicans will be killed by these low IQ idiots driving these vans ?
Do Dominican care if they are the next victims ?

Then I was past by two motos racing each other East of Cangrejo, one on each side of me and one almost killed on the Puente as the guagua ahead was near the bridge rail. Sparks flew as the moto scraped the bridge !
It would only take some motos being seized or Taxi drivers arrested for dangerous driving for the word to get around - but I guess that doesn't come with a propina.

Wishful thinking. Motorcycle racing is big business. The police seize dozens of bikes on a regular basis in my part of the woods.

The racers just bolt together a bunch of parts to build another bike and they're out racing again.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Has that road been repaired? We drove it today and saw no problem. It's not the smoothest pavement, but very few potholes, although there were many areas that looked repaired.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes I drove it Saturday and will again tomorrow and there are so many more bad roads than this one. From imbert to POP for example

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes I drove it Saturday and will again tomorrow and there are so many more bad roads than this one. From imbert to POP for example
It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to go from the Navarette intersection to the big intersection at the top of the hill in Puerto Plata.

What a #$@*&%(^# mess! We returned via Jamao, late lunch at Cafeto (the crepes are delish there, BTW...).