Another Driver's License Thread

KATIEJAY

Aug 20, 2007
I did it in POP with the 'VIP' treatment....

easy peasy....
Can I ask what the VIP treatment cost and did you have to make an appointment with someone "special" to get the "VIP" treatment??
Can a person(hubby) with almost non-existent Spanish get by ??
Thanks..K

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Hardly Any Whining

One of the true adventures living in the DR is the ever-changing requirements for anything whether residency, obtaining a driver's license, applying for a license, you name it.

We spent today in StoDgo renewing my residency, new cedula and getting---finally---my DR driver's license.

We tried the license thing once before in Santiago, but I had an expired cedula (I thought it's expiration was concurrent with my residency still in good standing, but the kind people at BanReservas delivered different news.) My passport was a month from expiring, so I decided to renew that first. A month+ mistake, but oh well.

So I got the new passport and went to the Capital for the residencia renewal/cedula/driver's license. Not a huge fan of spending a day in gubmint buildings there.

But got the renewals done, early actually, and we stopped for a bite to eat before heading to MOPC next to the stadium.

Now in Santiago we were told---and given a form---that said to get your driver's license you had to:
  • have a current cedula
  • get a "good conduct" statement
  • pays yer Cheese at BanReservas for the conduct letter & license
  • eye exam
  • pass a theoretical test
  • pass a practical test
  • prick your finger
  • done

We were also told that the MOPC folks allowed an interpreter for the theoretical test in StoDgo, but not Santiago. So we decided that we'd get it ALL done in one trip in StoDgo.

The best laid plans of mice and men...

We got to MOPC at 2:40. We figured we'd get there after the 12-2pm rush and have plenty of time. Except they CLOSE at 2:30. Yes. They were closed for accepting any applications.

We were also told, as shown in the info flyer handout, you have to sit in a video presentation about traffic laws, THEN take the theoretical exam :)) I won't need an interpreter then!) to get a TEMPORARY license (like a learner's permit at 15 when I was growing up.)

6 weeks later THEN you take your practical & get your license.

I think the goalposts moved, but maybe I'm wrong.

So net trip to StoDgo will have a side trip for a Dominican Learner's Permit. I wonder if I have to have an adult in the car while I drive. :cheeky:

DLRequirements_zpseb72a7c4.jpg

PS, as a sidenote and a classic example of how the DR works, at the driver's license office, the drive marked "ENTRADA" was closed & the gate was rusty, chained & locked, but the sign was still there. You enter in the "SALIDA" entrance. Seriously. I missed it, and got quite the chuckle when a escuela de chofer guy said to go "in" the "out." :cheeky:

That's how I like it.
A simple report how to jump through all hoops without any 'whining'. :laugh:
Well done.
Just like any good law abiding Dominican citizen (you are almost there...) does.

But wait, you have been driving illegally here for years. Proud of it?

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can I ask what the VIP treatment cost and did you have to make an appointment with someone "special" to get the "VIP" treatment??
Can a person(hubby) with almost non-existent Spanish get by ??
Thanks..K

it was a a few years ago... 4000pesos rings a bell.... yes, no Spanish works (very little) as was my case then.
The test is a video - yes/no answers - and is easy but I had a man pushing buttons for me.... I really didn't need him

Use my other response for Gabriel's phone number