Another Inversor Question

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How much is the bill usually?

SHALENA

The bill for the 2 apartments with the smaller inverter runs around 2,000 RD monthly
The bill for the 2 apartments with the larger inverter runs around 3,500 RD monthly and that circuit also has our washing machines and swimming pool pump.

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
Shalena..I forgot, colmado ice, may not be as clean as... dv8's set up, that is the best... from el botellon to a water filter to your glass.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Trace Inversor is a 3.6 kilo.
I am now down to only 4 batteries, from 12 that were necessary 5 years ago.
I have two "Fridges" one "connected" the other not.
Have lots of fans, computers, and TVs, also connected.
Most all my lights are low consumption bulbs.
We ARE "Energy Hogs", and we PAY for it!
I usually get about 8 hours of "time" from the inversor, and 4 batteries.
We are a "Supossed" 24/7 circuit,"NOT"!
But almost never burn through 8 hours on batteries.
I do have a big "Planta" that is there when needed.
It really proves it's value, when there is a huricane, or a transformer that blows, etc.
When the "Inevitable" big increase in electricity rates hits next year I will be paying more then average percapital annual DR income in in electricity costs every month!
"Paradise" isn't cheap!
"Waht"-A-Country"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCcc

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know opinions vary.

You should have no problem running your fridge on your inverter IF you have the electrical system properly matched to inverter capacity being at least 20% higher than the greatest draw.

4 batteries should last several hours. That's what we have.

But we also have a 4kw gasoline generator hardwired into the inverter, separated with a blade switch, so if the batteries get low I can crank it up and run everything for many, many additional hours AND charge the batteries. I keep it in an outbuilding where the noise isn't so loud.

I've had to use the generator 3 times now, once for 6 hours. It worked perfectly and a LOT cheaper than the amortized cost of solar panels.

Small 3.5-6 generators are relatively inexpensive and the wiring is cheap. I'm sure Luis' son can advise and install.

PLUS, bonus, I have electrical power whenever ans wherever I need it since the generator is portable!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
So I should put the frig on the current Inversor, granting that I have the electrical system properly matched, and charge the batteries when the lights come back on or when they are not in direct use?

You charge the batteries with what? My mind is going to one of those things you use to jump a car, something like that?

Come on guys, dumb it down for me a little.... :)

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
P.S.

When doing my budget before moving, I budgeted 10,000rd/month for electricity so I can afford anything under that range. I do care about the bill but I am not necessarily concerned if my bill will go from potentially being 2,000rd to say 6,000rd because I will still be under the 10,000rd that I have budgeted

If that makes any sense

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I know opinions vary.

You should have no problem running your fridge on your inverter IF you have the electrical system properly matched to inverter capacity being at least 20% higher than the greatest draw.

4 batteries should last several hours. That's what we have.

But we also have a 4kw gasoline generator hardwired into the inverter, separated with a blade switch, so if the batteries get low I can crank it up and run everything for many, many additional hours AND charge the batteries. I keep it in an outbuilding where the noise isn't so loud.

I've had to use the generator 3 times now, once for 6 hours. It worked perfectly and a LOT cheaper than the amortized cost of solar panels.

Small 3.5-6 generators are relatively inexpensive and the wiring is cheap. I'm sure Luis' son can advise and install.

PLUS, bonus, I have electrical power whenever ans wherever I need it since the generator is portable!

How much did that gasoline generator cost?

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How much did that gasoline generator cost?

SHALENA
I bought mine on sale @ Harbor Freight in the states for like $250. I suspect one here would be under RD$16,000-18,000, but I could be wrong.

I had it hardwired for around RD$2000 including materials (wire, blade switch and plug) in about 30 minutes.

Now when I get a "low battery alarm, I go to the outbuilding, pull the generator out, crank it up, plug it in, then go back to the house and flip the blade switch. Voila. Power.

I also have a small light that glows when street power comes back on so I know when to shut it off...

My a/c and water pump (220v) and water heater are not on the inverter circuits.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I have four batteries and run three fridges off it, the worst consumer of power seems to be the tv so I dont put that on when the power has been off for a while,computers dont seem to use much energy I have three running most of the time- the washing machines and pool are not on the invertor

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you know, shalena, i label inversor as "thing i did not know existed and now i cannot live without it". :) funny how DR is full of 'em :)

i suggest you forget the generator for now. when you own a house it may be of use but in a rented space i think it is too much of a hassle and there may not be a suitable space for it either. generator uses petrol/gasoline to produce power. it is very costly but great for emergencies as you can run it for few hours just to charge batteries. an inversor has lights that indicate what setting it is on: charging, fully charged, inverting (releasing power). it will show you when you can switch off the generator and work on batteries again.

now, for the future i suggest that you make sure your house has a utility room, directly behind the kitchen. it can be completely closed with open narrow windows for ventilation (small enough that no one can get in). why behind the kitchen and why ventilation? well, i am not a huge fan of those gas bottles. in PL we have central gas in new buildings and individual gas boilers in old ones. damn things blow up on regular basis. in my neighbourhood a drunk dude fiddled with his boiler and blew entire front wall of his apartment. and all windows in surrounding buildings. and himself, into the tree (no harm done, drunkards can survive anything). so i like to reduce danger of gas leaks. hence out gas bottle is in the utility room, connected to the kitchen with a short pipe. good ventilation helps further.

a utility room can also store water pump, water heater (that also can be connected to the gas), washing machine and dryer (ours is connected to gas bottle too). plus variety of tools and so on.

just a thought. take care

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
a 4 kwh generator from Honda, will cost you a hell of a lot more then the 16,000 rds CB mentioned. The price for a 2,5kwh was already higher then that.

Problem is that those suckers are so heavy, so importing one is not really an option either. If you make regular trips, you might be able to bring one as luggage?

Amazon.com: Honda GX160UT1QX2 163cc GX160 Series OHV 4.8 HP Engine With Straight Keyed Shaft 3/4-Inch by 2-7/16-Inch Crankshaft: Patio, Lawn & Garden

weighs in at 40 lbs... ouch...

BelgianK

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Speaking of the water heater, something was wrong with mine and Luis' worker fixed it but that night the water came out lukewarm. I was not impressed so I got Betania and I tell her "I thought you said he fixed the water heater?!?" and she says "He did" and I proceed to storm out of the bathroom because I was exepcting some hot water to soak in and she puts her hand in the tub water and says "Pero Muchacha, que te pasa! Este agua 'ta caliente!"
I had to proceed to tell her that Dominican "hot" must not be American "hot" because if I want a hot bath, I expect to have to get into the tub slowly, one toe at a time hot. This water felt like after you leave a cup of coffee out for 30 minutes.

Are your water heaters putting out HOT water or lukewarm?? Is this the best I'm gonna get?
(and my water heater is electric on the second floor of the house)

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
a 4 kwh generator from Honda, will cost you a hell of a lot more then the 16,000 rds CB mentioned. The price for a 2,5kwh was already higher then that.

Problem is that those suckers are so heavy, so importing one is not really an option either. If you make regular trips, you might be able to bring one as luggage?

Amazon.com: Honda GX160UT1QX2 163cc GX160 Series OHV 4.8 HP Engine With Straight Keyed Shaft 3/4-Inch by 2-7/16-Inch Crankshaft: Patio, Lawn & Garden

BelgianK

Well, I travel every week and I ususally only take a carry on unless I have to buy some things in NYC. It just looks a little bulky to fit into a suitcase and God only knows how much packaging its in

SHALENA

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
My generator, like MOST of the small generators available in the DR, is an inexpensive Chinese model, the Harbor Freight store brand called "Chicago Electric.". AND I bought it 5 years ago.

I've seen similar models in ferreteria's for not a ton of $$$.

No need to import one yourself unless it's in your free container...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

BelgianK

That is just a Honda Engine and not a generator. I recently imported a 6.5 KW diesel generator for less than $1,500 US door to door. I was seeing prices higher than that to purchase much less capabale units at Pappaterra, La Sirena and PriceSmart.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My generator, like MOST of the small generators available in the DR, is an inexpensive Chinese model, the Harbor Freight store brand called "Chicago Electric.". AND I bought it 5 years ago.

I've seen similar models in ferreteria's for not a ton of $$$.

No need to import one yourself unless it's in your free container...

How much?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
How much?
I got it on sale in '08 for around $250...remember, it's the Harbor Freight private lable/stroe brand.

I've seen the near exact same model under a different name in DR ferreterias.

It works great for as-needed intermittent use, but I wouldn't call it super high-quality heavy duty. But it's gotten the job asked done well...

They may or may not be the equivalent price of 4 more Trojan reds...but offers different utility options...

porkman100

Gold
Apr 11, 2010
So I should put the frig on the current Inversor, granting that I have the electrical system properly matched, and charge the batteries when the lights come back on or when they are not in direct use?

You charge the batteries with what? My mind is going to one of those things you use to jump a car, something like that?

Come on guys, dumb it down for me a little.... :)

SHALENA

Shalena; Yes..you use a small battery charger like... automotive type. The invertor inverts a.c. to d.c. and the energy gets stored in the battery. I have a small generator 1.5 kilo that is very economical to run, I had it for more than25 years is american made, every 10 years or so i have it worked on . Japanese (honda) or any American made will last for ever. I found that China generators, dont hold up. In a pinch i can run the refri (not too large) directly out of the back plug.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
10A vs. 70A

Shalena; Yes..you use a small battery charger like... automotive type. The invertor inverts a.c. to d.c. and the energy gets stored in the battery.

I do not get that.

A small automotive charger only works if you have grid power. Mine puts out a max. of 10A, meant to charge one (car) battery at a medium rate.

A good inverter churns out 70A and can charge a battery bank relatively fast.

So, if there is street power you want your inverter(s) to do the charging and not the little toy.

Different planets...

donP