Another Inversor Question

les1

Feb 1, 2007
I may be missing the point but why not stick to half a bag of ice in a cooler for 20 pesos a day. You'll also have iced water.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CB what battery model is it that you are using?

Car and motorcycle batteries use much thinner lead plates than deep cycle batteries like the TROJAN T 105. I have only done research on other battery types and none of them were recommended as better than lead acid batteries unless the batteries are in a remote area where periodic maintenance is an issue. That is the application where gel batteries are recommended over lead acid.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have a difficult time understanding the "low amperage" comments about gel batteries.
I thought the secret of gel batteries is they charge faster at a lower voltage in the bulk & acceptance phase, but a higher float.

BTW: the house came with gel batteries. Sweet, I just changed his 2.5 to a 3.5. I still have 4 newish Red's I'm not using right now. I can't add them with the gel batteries.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB what battery model is it that you are using?
I have Trojan reds that I'm not using.

The gel batteries are big, over twice the length of a red, but about an inch taller. Two of them, 12v.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have Trojan reds that I'm not using.

The gel batteries are big, over twice the length of a red, but about an inch taller. Two of them, 12v.

Without knowing the model and part number I can only guess, but gel batteries are about twice the cost of lead acid batteries and have lower capacity for the same volume. The 4 Trojans are 225 AH batteries and the gels might be 180 or 200 AH, but that is just a guess.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Without knowing the model and part number I can only guess, but gel batteries are about twice the cost of lead acid batteries and have lower capacity for the same volume. The 4 Trojans are 225 AH batteries and the gels might be 180 or 200 AH, but that is just a guess.
Oh, I also inherited a wind generator that helps top off the inverter system.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
Totally agree! Your fridge is the most important thing to keep going in your home in my opinion. This is why you have an inverter and batteries! If you are living unplugging your fridge everyday, your quality of life simply sucks! Go from 4 batteries to 8 if you need to.

That's why we left Costambar for Sosua - 24 hour power is bliss :classic: