Another night of no sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
"Relevant noise?"

It reduces sound by 25-50db-depending on the model and personal choices-especially in the lower frequency ranges. You can hear what you need to hear, no problem, like sirens and horns.

They are considered safety equipment by experienced motorcyclists because by reducing the vibrations going through your ears and brain, a rider can "feel" the chassis/brakes/throttle ballet much more pronounced, can concentrate vastly better without excessive wind and engine noises and are substantially less fatigued in the same time frame. The ride becomes much more serene. AND it's much easier on a high-performance machine to ride in a lower gear-higher RPM's-where the peak torque curve lives, offering greater riding control especially on a technical route, like mountain twisties. Ear plugs let me ride a technical road in 2nd-3rd gear at 5000-7500RPM...where the bike is at it's best in terms of rapid acceleration & engine braking, keeping the chassis balanced in a tight curve.

An alert rider doesn't rely on sound for safety that much. His scan and mirrors are primary inputs for threat assessment.

Most experienced riders will tell you their skills became sharply improved after adding ear plugs to their riding gear. Now, for me, it's like a seat belt: I have a difficult time climbing on a bike without them.

I'm sure earplugs would help the OP with barking dogs.

Cobraboy, i refuse to ride any vehicle without doors, but it is duly noted that you are an avid, and experienced rider, so i need your help to clear up a question which bothers me. i have never seen Dominican motorcycles with a mirror. i commented on that reality last saturday, and was told that they remove them because they are unnecessary, and more of a hindrance than a help. please educate me on this.

back to thread, sorry for the detour.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Urgh, when I'm in DR my neighbors roosters crow all hours of the day. It's like they're on crack... what the hell are wrong with them roosters? Why must they crow every 20 minutes all day... they're like a orchestra -.-

Sorry I just had to vent that out...

maybe the owner is a crack dealer, and the roosters are there to give the impression that he is in the cockfight business.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Reading this post and its responses brings several things to mind.

Are you all familiar with Edgar Allen Poe?s story the Tell Tale Heart? The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe The OP?s post reminds of that story for some reason, or maybe the Heart of Darkness. I am not convinced the OP is not already a little insane. I mean no offense in saying this. I certainly can understand the restlessness caused by outside noise that interrupts sleep. But this post sounds a little crazy to me. ?It wont be the first time that I will have to listen to the holwing of one of these dogs as the rat poison rips them apart inside.? WOW! These are the words of a serious man, a serious man who has been pushed to the edge of something. I am not sure what that something is.

As someone who has been bothered by outside noises in the past, I do not think ear plugs will work. They will only dampen the noise. Tim C will still hear the barks, they will just be muffled. Ear plugs combined with safety ear muffs is a better treatment. Another (louder) fan, or even better, an air conditioner, combined with ear plugs and safety ear muffs should do the trick, unless the dog is right next door.

The best solution to this predicament is to reduce stress. I suspect a certain amount of your restlessness is caused by some exterior stress in your life. You are tense because of pressure at work, or in the family, or whatever, and this tenseness makes falling asleep a little more difficult.

Take a hot shower right before bed, then take a slug or two of rum right before bed, to artificially relax your body, put the ear plugs in, put the ear muffs on, run the fan and then sweet dreams, my friend.

If that doesn?t work, you could get one of the Dominican Republic?s famous machete samurai?s to assassinate the mutt.

curious29

Sep 20, 2012
exactly, for me these are best...
https://www.signet.net.au/App_Assets/user/products/full/3M_reusable_earplugs_10299.jpg

don't know if they got it here......got my stock from Europe ;]
"Relevant noise?"

It reduces sound by 25-50db-depending on the model and personal choices-especially in the lower frequency ranges. You can hear what you need to hear, no problem, like sirens and horns.

They are considered safety equipment by experienced motorcyclists because by reducing the vibrations going through your ears and brain, a rider can "feel" the chassis/brakes/throttle ballet much more pronounced, can concentrate vastly better without excessive wind and engine noises and are substantially less fatigued in the same time frame. The ride becomes much more serene. AND it's much easier on a high-performance machine to ride in a lower gear-higher RPM's-where the peak torque curve lives, offering greater riding control especially on a technical route, like mountain twisties. Ear plugs let me ride a technical road in 2nd-3rd gear at 5000-7500RPM...where the bike is at it's best in terms of rapid acceleration & engine braking, keeping the chassis balanced in a tight curve.

An alert rider doesn't rely on sound for safety that much. His scan and mirrors are primary inputs for threat assessment.

Most experienced riders will tell you their skills became sharply improved after adding ear plugs to their riding gear. Now, for me, it's like a seat belt: I have a difficult time climbing on a bike without them.

I'm sure earplugs would help the OP with barking dogs.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy, i refuse to ride any vehicle without doors, but it is duly noted that you are an avid, and experienced rider, so i need your help to clear up a question which bothers me. i have never seen Dominican motorcycles with a mirror. i commented on that reality last saturday, and was told that they remove them because they are unnecessary, and more of a hindrance than a help. please educate me on this.

back to thread, sorry for the detour.
Mirrors make it difficult to lane split because they are wide, so they take them off. I'll admit in tight spots they can get in the way when threading through tight traffic...even on a large bike.

Once in a while I'll see mirrors on a Dominican bike with a spot weld to keep them from being stolen.

The mirror thing is similar to the local myth that using the front brakes will throw the rider over the bars. I love that one, like the "loud pipes save lives" and a helmet prevents the rider from hearing important noise.

the gorgon, riding a bike will re-invigorate your life. Kwit making excuses and kwit waiting to die. Chase some dreams. Go out on your terms with some style, not the Grim Reapers...;)

These guys did it:

[video=youtube;IREOSB3Eem8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREOSB3Eem8[/video]

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Family

Got home at about 8 last night. The nieghborhood dogs were barking again. Must be about 6 of them. I closed all my windows, pulled the shades and turned on the cieling fan on high.Went to bed at 11 listening to one very large dog bark almost nonstop.This went on all night. I slept on and off untill 4 and gave up. I am sitting here at day break waiting for enough light to go and find this animal that has kept me awake most of the night, for the third time this month. But just as I was about to leave my home the owner must have taken the mutt inside, as it stopped barking. It will happen again and I will go and find this animal and kill it. It wont be the first time that I will have to listen to the holwing of one of these dogs as the rat poison rips them apart inside.Now for you dog lovers, Im not one of you. But Im not a dog hater either. All I want is to not have to go to work on 5 hours of broken sleep because of your lack of of proper ownership. Im not going to put where I live because maybe, maybe it will make a few owners take care of there mutts.

Yesterday a lovely extended Dominican family arrived at the condo for New Years.
They were at the pool till after midnight and we had the pleasure to listen to Feliz Cumpla?os.
There were however no dogs barking, or at least I could not hear them over the ruckus.
They're back at it now in the pool, with yelps of joy!!!
Tonight will not be the night to go to bed early......... at least no to sleep.:nervous:
What are you going to do about the roosters:rambo:?

We all have our cross to bear.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Reading this post and its responses brings several things to mind.

Are you all familiar with Edgar Allen Poe’s story the Tell Tale Heart? The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe The OP’s post reminds of that story for some reason, or maybe the Heart of Darkness. I am not convinced the OP is not already a little insane. I mean no offense in saying this. I certainly can understand the restlessness caused by outside noise that interrupts sleep. But this post sounds a little crazy to me. “It wont be the first time that I will have to listen to the holwing of one of these dogs as the rat poison rips them apart inside.” WOW! These are the words of a serious man, a serious man who has been pushed to the edge of something. I am not sure what that something is.

As someone who has been bothered by outside noises in the past, I do not think ear plugs will work. They will only dampen the noise. Tim C will still hear the barks, they will just be muffled. Ear plugs combined with safety ear muffs is a better treatment. Another (louder) fan, or even better, an air conditioner, combined with ear plugs and safety ear muffs should do the trick, unless the dog is right next door.

The best solution to this predicament is to reduce stress. I suspect a certain amount of your restlessness is caused by some exterior stress in your life. You are tense because of pressure at work, or in the family, or whatever, and this tenseness makes falling asleep a little more difficult.

Take a hot shower right before bed, then take a slug or two of rum right before bed, to artificially relax your body, put the ear plugs in, put the ear muffs on, run the fan and then sweet dreams, my friend.

If that doesn’t work, you could get one of the Dominican Republic’s famous machete samurai’s to assassinate the mutt.

I thought you were talking about Yoga and the downward dog, till I got to the machete part.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
Urgh, when I'm in DR my neighbors roosters crow all hours of the day. It's like they're on crack... what the hell are wrong with them roosters? Why must they crow every 20 minutes all day... they're like a orchestra -.-

Sorry I just had to vent that out...

i remember the roosters that woke me up to and the last crazy rooster just screamed like a human rawwwwwwww!!! it didn't make sence

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
. Another (louder) fan, or even better, an air conditioner,
A VERY important benefit of a wall a/c unit it the white noise it creates.

Works very well masking outside noises with the windows closed.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Mirrors make it difficult to lane split because they are wide, so they take them off. I'll admit in tight spots they can get in the way when threading through tight traffic...even on a large bike.

Once in a while I'll see mirrors on a Dominican bike with a spot weld to keep them from being stolen.

The mirror thing is similar to the local myth that using the front brakes will throw the rider over the bars. I love that one, like the "loud pipes save lives" and a helmet prevents the rider from hearing important noise.

the gorgon, riding a bike will re-invigorate your life. Kwit making excuses and kwit waiting to die. Chase some dreams. Go out on your terms with some style, not the Grim Reapers...;)

These guys did it:

[video=youtube;IREOSB3Eem8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IREOSB3Eem8[/video]

CB, i can assure you that if there were roads like those here, i would give it a crack. as soon as i learned, i would be on something like a CBR1000R. however, with the standards of driving here, i would be road kill in waiting.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB, i can assure you that if there were roads like those here, i would give it a crack. as soon as i learned, i would be on something like a CBR1000R. however, with the standards of driving here, i would be road kill in waiting.
IMO, riding here in the DR is MUCH safer than in the states when you understand the unwritten rules of the road and APPLY them.

A CBR (or GSX-K or KW or R or...) is totally the wrong tool for riding here. Or a low-slung cruiser. Tall, long suspension play, large-diameter dual-purpose tires work well, and really, anything over 650cc is severe overkill.

Accept my personal invitation to come to Jarabacoa for a ride.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
IMO, riding here in the DR is MUCH safer than in the states when you understand the unwritten rules of the road and APPLY them.

A CBR (or GSX-K or KW or R or...) is totally the wrong tool for riding here. Or a low-slung cruiser. Tall, long suspension play, large-diameter dual-purpose tires work well, and really, anything over 650cc is severe overkill.

Accept my personal invitation to come to Jarabacoa for a ride.

even as a complete novice in matters pertaining to motorcycles, i will have to agree that those Jap rockets are just too much for these roads. however, i just love the sound of a straight four, 16 valve, twin cam cafe racer. keep the Ducati. vee engines do nothing for me.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
even as a complete novice in matters pertaining to motorcycles, i will have to agree that those Jap rockets are just too much for these roads. however, i just love the sound of a straight four, 16 valve, twin cam cafe racer. keep the Ducati. vee engines do nothing for me.
It's not the engines. It's the suspension, tires and rake.

A V-twin like a V-Strom or Ducati MultiStrada or KTM make a ton more torque down low and are much more civilized to ride than an inline 4. Inline 4's are track bikes where torque doesn't matter...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's not the engines. It's the suspension, tires and rake.

A V-twin like a V-Strom or Ducati MultiStrada or KTM make a ton more torque down low and are much more civilized to ride than an inline 4. Inline 4's are track bikes where torque doesn't matter...

you are completely right, cobra. torque is very important if you are just functioning on the street. however, i am a superficial type of guy, and i love to hear a 750 kawasaki pulling 11,000 rpm. there is no sweeter sound known to man, except higher rpm.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
you are completely right, cobra. torque is very important if you are just functioning on the street. however, i am a superficial type of guy, and i love to hear a 750 kawasaki pulling 11,000 rpm. there is no sweeter sound known to man, except higher rpm.
My V-Stroms can pull 10,500...

Status
Not open for further replies.