Antigen Test to Travel to Canada

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Today the Canadian government announced some easing of travel restrictions. As of March 1 fully vaccinated travelers arriving in Canada only have to take a pre-arrival antigen test, up to 24 hours before flying. You can still take a PCR test up to 72 hours before flying if you want.
When you arrive, there will be random selections to take a PCR test but you won't have to isolate/ quarantine while you wait for results.
Also, the level 3 global travel advisory for Canadians will be dropped to level 2, "exercise a high degree of caution"

travel requirements

Reactions: AlaPlaya

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But the real problem is DR arrivals will face a random test...and quarantine until results come back...

All arrivals from non-USA ...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ottawa is currently randomly testing thousands of vaccinated travellers daily upon arrival. Those who return from trips outside the U.S. must quarantine while waiting for their results.

Some travellers have reported waiting up to six days to get their test results, or longer if they were given an at-home test, which must be shipped back to a lab.

Sources also told CBC News the government plans to lift its current advisory against non-essential travel abroad.

The government is expected to provide more details about upcoming changes to its border measures at a news conference at 1 p.m. ET today.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
But the real problem is DR arrivals will face a random test...and quarantine until results come back...

All arrivals from non-USA ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not what I read:

"Fully vaccinated travelers may also be randomly selected for a PCR test upon arrival. Duclos (He is the federal health minister) said its arrival testing program will remain in effect, but travelers won't have to quarantine while awaiting results." Says nothing about differentiating between USA and non-USA.

new Canadian travel announcement

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
If the rapid test results are positive are you allowed to board your flight to leave the D.R. or are you put into quarantine?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Not what I read:

"Fully vaccinated travelers may also be randomly selected for a PCR test upon arrival. Duclos (He is the federal health minister) said its arrival testing program will remain in effect, but travelers won't have to quarantine while awaiting results." Says nothing about differentiating between USA and non-USA.

I thought it was a random quick test upon airport arrival not PCR test?

Reactions: Auryn

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
I thought it was a random quick test upon airport arrival not PCR test?
As far as I know it has always been a random PCR test upon arrival. I travel for work, and have had 3 arrival tests, all PCR and have never been offered an antigen test.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not what I read:

No quarantine vs quarantine is what it says

As I read it

Harleyssuck

Jul 24, 2014
More BS from our Liberal govt. So now you can take an antigen test the day before your departure to Canada. But if you test positive you will have to keep trying to test negative on an antigen 24 hours prior to a flight home. The only way to fly home with a positive test is if it is a PCR ( not antigen) and you wait 10 days. This could get expensive. Our govt is so clueless

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
No quarantine vs quarantine is what it says

As I read it
and from today's government news release

Public Health News Release

"We will be easing the on-arrival testing for fully-vaccinated travellers. This means that travellers arriving to Canada from any country, who qualify as fully vaccinated, will be randomly selected for arrival testing. Travellers selected will also no longer be required to quarantine while awaiting their test result."

so it does not matter where you are arriving from, if you are one of the random selections for testing, you will not have to quarantine while you wait for your result.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look how crazy it is
————

Ottawa is currently randomly testing thousands of vaccinated travellers daily upon arrival. Those who return from trips outside the U.S. must quarantine while waiting for their results.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Imagine the backlog for people awaiting results.
Antigen test results can be returned in 15 minutes, but watch this end up back to quarantine hotels for people just waiting for their results.

AlaPlaya

Frequent Flyer
Jan 7, 2021
Texas
Imagine the backlog for people awaiting results.
Antigen test results can be returned in 15 minutes, but watch this end up back to quarantine hotels for people just waiting for their results.

The other week I received the results from the arrival test in Toronto in 25 hours.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The other week I received the results from the arrival test in Toronto in 25 hours.
Which is manageable. With more people travelling, I doubt it will continue to be a short turn around like that.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
and from today's government news release

Public Health News Release

"We will be easing the on-arrival testing for fully-vaccinated travellers. This means that travellers arriving to Canada from any country, who qualify as fully vaccinated, will be randomly selected for arrival testing. Travellers selected will also no longer be required to quarantine while awaiting their test result."

so it does not matter where you are arriving from, if you are one of the random selections for testing, you will not have to quarantine while you wait for your result.
Exactly. Get the random PCR test at the arriving airport, head home and wait for the results. Depending on which province you live in, if your positive, quarantine may not be necessary. A daily Rapid test for five days may be all that’s necessary. Better yet, go through Montreal on your return. They didn’t care about enforcing the PCR test requirement when it was implemented. They care less now that it’s random. Same for Calgary.

if the Canadian airlines had not lobbied for the elimination of the PCR testing requirement, it would still be in place.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Flying from Punta Cana, Feb 3, selected for PCR test at Toronto Pearson, no quarantine, traveled onwards, results rec'd 36 hours later online, Factor in enough time to make your next connection as that was the biggest issue.
Thank you! Did the random selection cause much of a delay? Most flights are looking like a layover in YYZ is unavoidable so it may not matter.