Anyone scared to death, planning to leave?

cocacola33

Oct 25, 2005
Just been reading through this thread, my family own a nice house in Puerto Plata behind the 'cocacola' factory. Our house is within the Estanzia area and is surrounded with other houses some large and some small, mainly dominican owned. Oppisite is an entrance to a shanty town for the haitians building house in the area. We have a very secure alarm system including cameras and internet to enable us to see the on goings from england. However during our first few visits we had security in our garden during the evenings but since then we have never had security just our alarms. We didnt feel that we needed security and only ever considered the idea as it was advised by some very good friends. However it was cheap compared to security her (100 pesos a month for 9pm - 9am 7 days a week). this is what we paid and it was above the going rate.

Personally we dont feel the need for the alarm system but it was built i so we will take advantage of it but verall we feel very safe their.

I am happy to leave the doors open and relax in the house as well as feling safe walking around pop but thats me and i guess everyone is differant!

Any questions just ask! thankyou x

monster

Oct 16, 2005
I cant believe people in this thread actually laugh off the crime in the Dominican Republic. I'm not a DR expert but from the last several trips I have notice that crime is definetly on the rise in DR, especially in the Santo Domingo area.

One of my grandmothers part time maids told me some disturbings stories that she saw from victims from her other job. She is an assitant to the doctors that work at the "seguro", which I took to mean emergency room, for a certain health insurance company.

She told me that she saw a patient who's left arm was cut off with a machete because a couple of thugs wanted his watch and he wouldnt give it up.

Another man, who was a young thug, had his body riddled with several bullets because he tried to carjack someone for their car. His three other friends died beforhand at the scene, and he died the next day.

There was another incident (which btw occured near my grandmothers home in Villa Mella) where a young boy around 15 - 16 years of age, was killed for his belongings. One of the thieves who rob him, also took the boy's sneakers and put his own sneakers on the boy.

And to top things off two weeks before I arrived in Santo Domingo my great uncle, was shot 3 times by a couple of atracadores while he was walking his dog.This was for no real apparant reason because my uncle had nothing of value with him and was not really well dressed at the time. Luckily for my uncle he had a gun with him and shot one of the thugs. He is still doing therapy and will have a bullet in his right leg for the rest of his life, while the two thieves are free on the streets.

While I was there, there were multiple other stories of petty crimes which I heard about. I dont how many people feel that type of environment is actually normal for a civilized city like Santo Domingo, but never in Boston where I reside, have I known of so many crimes occuring in such a short period of time(about a month).

I hope I dont upset anybody who belives that Santo Domingo is such a city as any American cities.

As far as the tourist areas and the gated communities, I really have no experience whatsoever with those areas so I wont comment.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
monster said:
And to top things off two weeks before I arrived in Santo Domingo my great uncle, was shot 3 times by a couple of atracadores while he was walking his dog.This was for no real apparant reason because my uncle had nothing of value with him and was not really well dressed at the time. Luckily for my uncle he had a gun with him and shot one of the thugs. He is still doing therapy and will have a bullet in his right leg for the rest of his life, while the two thieves are free on the streets.
If your uncle was carrying a gun he isn't the angel you portray him as. Poor people with nothing to have stolen can't afford nor need a gun.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
HOWMAR said:
If your uncle was carrying a gun he isn't the angel you portray him as. Poor people with nothing to have stolen can't afford nor need a gun.

Thats a pretty idiotic comment you know.

First of all were having a discussion about crime in DR, not about if my uncle carries a gun for protection or not.

Second of all my uncle is not a poor criminal, so you can stop with the insults right there. My uncle is a hardworking Dominican Citizen who lives very comfortably, even by American standards. He was carrying a gun for protection like many other people in the country do. There really should be no reason why he should have to use a gun, and in this case it saved his life.

And btw what I meant to say, since you you obviously didnt understand my post, was that there was no appearant reason for a thug to want to mugg him, since he was not flashhing jewelry, nor had any money on him, and had very messy clothes on from work.

Next time you post something, try to get your head out of you ass, and think before you type. Maybe this way you dont mess up the discussion for everyone else on the board.

EDIT: For Grammer

Last edited:

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
monster said:

First of all were having a discussion about crime in DR, not about if my uncle carries a gun for protection or not.

Second of all my uncle is not a poor criminal, so you can stop with the insults right there. My uncle is a hardworking Dominican Citizen who lives very comfortably even by American standards and was carry a gun for protection like many other people in the country do. There really should be no reason why he should have to use a gun, and in this case it save his life.

And btw what I meant to say, since you you obviously didnt understand my post, was that there was appearant reason for a thug to want to mugg him, since he was not flashy jewelry, nor had any money on him, and had very messy clothes on from work.

Next time you post something, try to get your head out of you ass, and think before you type. Maybe this way you dont mess up the discussion for everyone else on the board.
OK, I'll take your story for face value. 3 guys came up to your uncle who had nothing on him to steal and shot him 3 times for no reason. As has been noted here many times, Dominican stories have 3 versions. Your story, their story and the real story.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
monster said:
I cant believe people in this thread actually laugh off the crime in the Dominican Republic. I'm not a DR expert but from the last several trips I have notice that crime is definetly on the rise in DR, especially in the Santo Domingo area.
I agree with you, crime does seem to be on the rise in the DR and not just petty crime. It seems to be coincident with drug use throughout the DR.

Is Villa Mella and the area where your uncle was attacked considered a middle class neighborhoods. It appears crime in the ghetto and tourist area's are up. The former seems to be because of gang activity, the latter may be due to more tourists. I was curious about middle class neighborhoods.

The Voice

Nov 29, 2005
monster said:

Second of all my uncle is not a poor criminal, so you can stop with the insults right there. My uncle is a hardworking Dominican Citizen who lives very comfortably, even by American standards. He was carry a gun for protection like many other people in the country do. There really should be no reason why he should have to use a gun, and in this case it saved his life.

And btw what I meant to say, since you you obviously didnt understand my post, was that there was appearant reason for a thug to want to mugg him, since he was not flashhing jewelry, nor had any money on him, and had very messy clothes on from work.

EDIT: For Grammer

Don't listen to HOWMAR, the idiot obviously does not think before he speaks.

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
I have been coming down here for 12 years now, living here for about four. After reading through this thread, I decided that everyone is pretty much right when it comes to reporting their own experiences. There will be many people here, regardless of where they live (in gated communities or in upscale nabes, or just small towns), who will not have experienced any crime, other than the petty thievery that is pretty much a sporting event here (can he do it, can he run off with the goods, look at him go!). There will be others who live in normally safe nabes and have unfortunate run ins with armed thugs, as monster and several others reported, and I believe monster when he says that his relative had no obvious lures on his person to provoke an attack. I have personally witnessed a couple similar incidents. And there are home invasions -- this has always been one type of crime here, though I do think such ploys are on the increase (in my apartment block, during the final days of Mejia's administration, when things seemed particularly out of control, I had two attempted break-ins, and my neighbor below was invaded, pistol whipped, and robbed. Around the same time, we had several incidents in the parking lot below and on the adjoining street (the Bolivar). I should add that I live near the Parque Independencia, and there is a lot of traffic of all sorts of people --that is, my condominium is not secluded, it is right out there). Things seemed to spin out of control during that time, but lately my impression -- despite the focus in the media on stray bullets -- is that things have improved again somewhat, at least in terms of appearances.

But the violent aspect of the crimes that are being reported these days is something new, and I dont believe that this is merely a false impression rendered by increased reporting of such events (El Caribe has always delighted in reporting the most gruesome incidents, as far back as I can remember). My feeling is that in the past few years there is a feeling of greater license in the extent to which the criminals are willing to go. They will brandish guns more readily now than before, they will shoot without qualms, they will brutalize and beat people when there is no need. I can cite several incidents recently where there was no apparent need for the excessive force that was employed to complete the robbery. This may be the bad influence of the Dominican Yorks who have been expelled from the US, many though not all of whom are a rum lot. But I think there are other influences as well, very complex socioeconomic factors which are operating as well in other Latin American cities where the pressure of numbers and the ongoing migration of rural populations to urban slums creates unliveable conditions and real desperation.

Which means, to a certain extent, that if you avoid the worst barrios -- Cristo Rey, parts of Las Minas, LaCienega, Gualey, etc etc -- you are unlikely to be confronted or even witness much crime. The majority of Dominicans are very peaceable, I myself have no qualms wandering about practically anywhere I wish, and I rarely feel like there is a problem. And my work takes me to very dicey places sometimes. As I think Hillbilly pointed out, you make friends, you get to know people, you dont shrink from contact. After all these people are your fellow human beings and appreciate the respect and affection you give them -- and before you accuse me of being some wishy washy sentimentalist, let me just say that this is part of my job, this modus operandi has kept me alive in very tricky dangerous places, and I am well aware of its virtues and limitations. So to some extent I agree with our resident Appalachian American.

However, because my work takes me to dicey places I am also very much aware of the crime, which may give me a distorted perspective on this issue, but I am not sure about that anymore. I am constantly hearing Dominicans complain about how they are now forced to live with heightened vigilance, and that the "delincuencia" is the major problem here. I hear more and more stories about violent incidents, I myself have witnessed far more such incidents in the past two years than in the ten years previous, and I am forced to conclude that things have gotten worse. I also think quite frankly that things will continue to worsen. Though I would not claim that things here are as bad as things were in Rio in the 90s, I discern a similar pattern. Thugs here are even adopting similar methods (one favorite ploy in Rio was to cut off one of the tunnels that cut through any of the city's several mountains and then go down the line picking off the stranded automobiles. This same ploy is being employed now by a motorcycle gang in the tunnel out in St Domingo Este).

I always wondered why the rich here live with armed security guards, why one sees so many shotgun toting watchmen even in the humblest storefronts, when it seemed to me that things were in fact pretty quiet here. You could argue that the tranquillity is a direct result of such tactics, a rather aggressive proactive measure,but that would be admitting that at least potentially there is a big problem here. I think that there has always been an unspoken, implicit understanding of the inherent social c0nflict, not to say warfare, that exists between the haves and the have-nots. In a society of such inequality there is bound to be tension, and that tension achieves its expression, when it does not erupt in riots or criminal violence, in countless features of the Dominican landscape, such as the ubiquitous watchmen, the barred windows, the walled-in estates, the tinted windows of monstrous Yeepetas that roll through the barrios and shun contact. You can argue that violence is everywhere, that the US is even more violent, that this is all just hype. These arguments seem irrelevant to me. There is a problem here and it does no good to wave it away with such assertions.

Is it safe here? Depends -- on where you are, with whom you are travelling or staying or hanging out, and on who you are as well. If you are street smart and used to taking certain precautions, if you know the lay of the land and know what to look out for here, you are sure to have fewer problems. I would also say that for most tourists I cannot imagine a safer place, except perhaps for the odd bit of purse snatching or sneak thievery that might occur if you should wander off the resort compound. And even these things are pretty unlikely. If tour companies do in fact indulge in fear mongering, that is pretty despicable.

But let me leave you with this thought: the murder rate of the past two years -- if the papers are to be believed -- rivals the murder rate of NYC at its worst. NYC has about the same population as DR. I dont place much stock in statistics, but that notion disturbs me a bit. I find it distressing that a relatively small quiet country, populated by people with a ready smile and affectionate embrace, should be competing so effectively for that dubious honor.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
The Voice said:

He's not an idiot, just a little too far to the left ;)

I was in a little debate with him yesterday concerning a touchy subject and he was a gentleman. The best discussion I've been involved in on DR1 to tell you the truth - no name calling, no low blows. Just too much liberalism is all.

Okay, now that I've been nice Martin, I have to disagree with you on the gun issue. There's nothing wrong with a decent citizen having a firearm to protect themself. As soon as I am legally able to, I will purchase a gun. It's not so much that I feel like I'm in danger but if the time ever comes, God forbid, I would much rather have one as opposed to being caught without one.

And yes, I know how to use them :dead:

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Monster

I am sorry to hear your uncle was shot.

I find it very sad that upon you relaying this story, someone would actually respond by questioning his character.:tired:

Larry

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
The Voice said:
I guess I'm the only idiot who can't picture somebody getting shot 3 times for no apparent reason, still being able to shoot and wound one of his attackers while the other attacker doesn't proceed to finish the job? I guess the truth is stranger than fiction. One question if I may? Might the shooting have started because the thieves realized the victim was armed? Carrying a gun sure taught them a lesson. Next time they are sure to shoot first before a weapon can be produced. I personally would rather they demand my money than shoot without asking.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
sunshine_79 said:
He's not an idiot, just a little too far to the left ;)

I was in a little debate with him yesterday concerning a touchy subject and he was a gentleman. The best discussion I've been involved in on DR1 to tell you the truth - no name calling, no low blows. Just too much liberalism is all.

Okay, now that I've been nice Martin, I have to disagree with you on the gun issue. There's nothing wrong with a decent citizen having a firearm to protect themself. As soon as I am legally able to, I will purchase a gun. It's not so much that I feel like I'm in danger but if the time ever comes, God forbid, I would much rather have one as opposed to being caught without one.

And yes, I know how to use them :dead:
So does Dick Cheney.

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
HOWMAR said:
So does Dick Cheney.

Okay, that was funny!

Dick Cheney is a disgrace to the sport of hunting! What real hunter goes to a ready-to-kill quail ranch anyways?? Kinda takes the fun out of everything.

And as for me, if someone is attempting to rob me or harm me in any way, shape or form, I will most certainly put a bullet between their eyes first and ask questions after the fact. And if they get me first then they must be one hell of a shot.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to post and tell me that it's wrong to kill a mugger and that it's not their fault their poor, they're just trying to survive, yada yada yada...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Note to self;

do not pay a surprise visit to sunny especially if you arrive late at night. ;)

sunshine_79

Jun 1, 2005
AnnaC said:
Note to self;

do not pay a surprise visit to sunny especially if you arrive late at night. ;)

Nah, just do the secret bird call and all will be well...

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Geez Howmar? You need to get that one in somewhere eh ;) Just trying to complicate my life you are! And watch it, its going to go on forever and I'm the one that will have to clean up. Thanks a lot!
Ok, lets keep it sweet and not shoot our mouths off while we're talking about guns... No idiots please.... idiots and guns don't go well together you'll all agree. :cheeky:

Sep 19, 2005
Chris said:
Geez Howmar? No idiots please.... idiots and guns don't go well together you'll all agree. :cheeky:

ha ha ha......

hey to clarify, as an example

what goes well with idiots????????

:glasses:

bob