Anyone scared to death, planning to leave?

G

gary short

laurapasinifan said:
whats safer..

going hunting with Dick Cheney...or

going driving with Ted Kennedy??????

bob
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what the common denominator is? They both had been drinking.

G

gary short

sunshine_79 said:
Okay, that was funny!

Dick Cheney is a disgrace to the sport of hunting! What real hunter goes to a ready-to-kill quail ranch anyways?? Kinda takes the fun out of everything.

And as for me, if someone is attempting to rob me or harm me in any way, shape or form, I will most certainly put a bullet between their eyes first and ask questions after the fact. And if they get me first then they must be one hell of a shot.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to post and tell me that it's wrong to kill a mugger and that it's not their fault their poor, they're just trying to survive, yada yada yada...
Hunting isn't a sport unless your prey is armed.

sunshine_79

I made the 300,000th post!
Jun 1, 2005
gary short said:
Hunting isn't a sport unless your prey is armed.

To some of us rednecks, it's the ONLY sport.

I like to hunt. So shoot me! (Pun intended.)

With that said, I'll point out that I've never shot an animal in the US - except for some nuisance prairie dogs in Nebraska - soley for the purpose of shooting it. I utilize every part of the animal possible because I don't think it's sportsmanlike to simply shoot a deer or an elk and just leave it there or display it's rack in a trophy room.

When I was younger, my family was not very well off. You would be surprised if you knew how far a 12 point buck can be stretched when it comes to feeding a family.

And the tongue is the best part!

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
rellosk said:
I agree with you, crime does seem to be on the rise in the DR and not just petty crime. It seems to be coincident with drug use throughout the DR.
I guess I'm not the only one that observed the rise in drug use in the DR. This appeared in today's DR1 news:

DEA concerned over drugs stay here​
Yesterday, the US Drug Enforcement Agency representative in the DR, Elias Lopez, expressed his concern about the amount of drugs that stay in this country as a result of trafficking, which shows there is a local client base. A report in Diario Libre says that Lopez is worried that heroin trafficking to the DR might also increase as this would bring about more crime and drug abuse. The US official was speaking after a public function where the Director of the National Drug Control Department (DNCD), Rear Admiral Ivan Pena Castillo received an award. Pena warned that the heroin trade is stronger every day, apparently due to the fact that it sells at a higher price and is easier to transport. One kilo of heroin can be as profitable as 50 kilos of cocaine, according to Pena. He also informed that last Sunday a group of people trying to smuggle 5 kilos of heroin was arrested in the eastern region of the country.

monster

Oct 16, 2005
HOWMAR said:
I guess I'm the only idiot who can't picture somebody getting shot 3 times for no apparent reason, still being able to shoot and wound one of his attackers while the other attacker doesn't proceed to finish the job? I guess the truth is stranger than fiction. One question if I may? Might the shooting have started because the thieves realized the victim was armed? Carrying a gun sure taught them a lesson. Next time they are sure to shoot first before a weapon can be produced. I personally would rather they demand my money than shoot without asking.

There really is no reason for me to response to your ridiculous statements. My uncle was shot because a couple of thieves wanted something from him. I cant really say if they knew my uncle had a gun on him or not but my uncle did not shoot first nor did he brandish his weopon to scare anybody. By the way, it was 2 thieves not three. He was able to shoot the one with the gun and the other one ran away. He was shot 3 times in the leg, twice in the thigh, and one in the upper thigh where he pelvis is. They also shot his dog. I have no reason to lie about this so if you dont believe me, then just dont believe me. The only reason I brought the story up was because it was related to the topic at hand, if you cant appreciate it or dont have anything of value to say, then dont comment, and let the others that do contribute to the board.

rellosk said:
I agree with you, crime does seem to be on the rise in the DR and not just petty crime. It seems to be coincident with drug use throughout the DR.

Is Villa Mella and the area where your uncle was attacked considered a middle class neighborhoods. It appears crime in the ghetto and tourist area's are up. The former seems to be because of gang activity, the latter may be due to more tourists. I was curious about middle class neighborhoods.

Hey rellosk, my uncle lives in the same are where my grandmother lives. He is my grandmother's brother.They live at an area called Maranon Segundo. The neighborhoo is near Avenida Charles De Gaulle where it intersects with Avenida Maximo Gomez. The area where they live is a middle class section of Villa Mella which resembles a gated community with very nice big houses. There are still a lot of undevelop solares and there are several houses in construction now. My father recently bought a lot there and his house is almost complete.There are also closeby barrios where I suspect the criminals came from.

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
monster said:
The only reason I brought the story up was because it was related to the topic at hand, if you cant appreciate it or dont have anything of value to say, then dont comment, and let the others that do contribute to the board.
Just noting the coincidence of two shootings described by posters in the last month. Your uncle being seriously wounded in one incident and the other victim being killed. The common thread being that both victims were armed. I guess nobody will concede the possibility that what started as simple robberies escalated to deadly situations, possibly incited by the victim producing a gun.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Can we stop the discussions about gun ownership and get back to the OP question, "Anyone scared to death, planning to leave?"

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Our neighbour went to La Romana airport yesterday

to pick up his son and family. We were also there picking up friends who arrived on a slightly earlier flight.
On the way back to Juan Dolio, they were car jacked. The offenders had a gun!
So they did exactly as they were told......
Car was stolen along with all their money, jewellery, luggage etc.
They were driven a short distance off the highway, thieves used their shoelaces to tie them to small trees, then left them.
They got free and walked back to the highway then to Santana Beach Resort.
Had they protested or produced a weapon the outcome may have been different.
As it is they are traumatized, with only the clothes on their backs but alive to tell the story!!

BTW - there were three adult males, one women , one teenager and one 7 yr.old. There were three thieves that they saw and they believe three others that they didn't see........
Do they want to leave??? No....

CloggieBoots

Jan 17, 2004
www.caribbeanwizard.com
Maybe I am a little over sensitive right now because this afternoon the 5 year old son from my neighbours here in La Romana was kidnapped right in front of his school which is 5 minutes walking distance from their house. The gardner, like always, went to pick the boy up at school and bring him home and as they walked away from the school, the gardner was beaten and the boy taken. No word yet whether it is a case for randsom money or worse. My neighbours are Dominican who moved into the house about 5 months ago.

I don't think it's that I need to be scared to death in order to plan to leave, but I do think that when in ones life (wherever that may be) the cons outweigh the pro's, it is time to start looking elsewhere, maybe another neighbourhood, another city or another country. I did come here to enjoy the improved quality not quantity of life, I live and work here 365 days/year. And if the quality of my life for what ever reason gets reduced beyond my point of acceptance it's time for me to move on. It's not there yet.....but a lot closer than I ever thought it would be.........

C.B.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I caught Zoila Luna this morning on TV, and she mentioned the case of a woman friend who became ill in Punta Cana, and the ambulance taking her to SD was held up at gun point, midmorning, right on the highway past San Pedro.

A few days ago, my young children, including Aroa, woke me up very alarmed. They had heard gun shots and shouting out the window. There was a commotion about half a block away, barely viewable through the trees. I turned on my scanner to the police frequency and overheard that a retired officer had been shot dead, by three individuals in motorbikes. At one point I heard the order to arrest any witnesses, for investigation. This case hasen't been mentioned in the press. I Know why, not to spook the tourists, or give expats ideas about moving to a safer country, say Costa Rica...

-

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
No they didn't wear uniforms.....

mountainfrog said:
Did they wear uniforms?
What time of day was it?
How was the car stopped?

m'frog

It was approx. 6:15-6:30 PM -still daylight.
Two vehicles....one in front, one behind!

Amazingly the stolen 'camionette' was recovered today in Boca Chica.....hhmmm with all the chop shops around you'd think the thieves would have converted the vehicle to cash as well........

Makes one wonder doesn't it???:ninja:

MariposaAzul

Jan 17, 2006
Burglaries of private residences have increased, as have crimes of violence. Home invasions have become more frequent and increasingly violent. The U.S. Embassy is aware of at least two home invasion robberies since August 2003 in which the victims were U.S. citizens. In each case, the Americans were robbed and held hostage for several hours.

(MeDominican)[/QUOTE]

HAHAH Make that three....four....five...six...seven....eight....nine...

maybe more......

everyone has a ladron around every once and a while......

it is life.

life goes on.

t.v.'s, jeans, cars, and cellulars are missed.

life goes on.:surprised

macocael

Bronze
Aug 3, 2004
www.darkhorseimages.com
MommC -- your story about the carjacking is all too common as well. This has been happening now with some regularity since the summer, to my knowledge. I know of two separate incidents, one of which occurred to my neighbor. They scan the crowds at the airports, pick out a likely victim, follow them on the highway and stop them when they get the chance,.

Kidnapping of children also occurs here, and I know of several incidents as well.

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
No cause for panic

I don't think what is happening in the DR is any different than any other tourist destination.
Just this morning on the news I learned that two Canadians were found bound and their throats slashed in their hotel room.
It happened at a 4 star ai in the Mayan Riviera Mexico.

Hifiman

monster

Oct 16, 2005
You should panic.

No one leading a normal life have to accept this from criminals. Who the hell cares what happens in Mexico or Colombia!

hifiman

Jul 13, 2005
I think you missed the point

No matter where you live you will have these types of crimes.
Is it important to be aware of this,yes... but I don't think you need to make it sound like it is happening on every corner.
I process insurance claims for electronics everyday for home invasions,and some are pretty nasty....but I don't let it affect my quality of life.
It would be easy for me to think this is out of control.
But what should I do pick up and move...no...I think making yourself more aware of your surroundings and a few safegaurds are a more logical way of thinking.
Better than being scared to death,planning to leave,like the op says.
Hifiman

Sep 19, 2005
I think the point most people are TRYING to get across...is

that it SEEMS to be on the INCREASE in the DR.

with more people who are posting ACTUALLY being victims or at least personally knowing victims , the point is more blunt.

this is for those who care to know ahead of time.....from what I have read here soley...it seems to be concentrated in the southern part of the country.

that follows reports I have heard but not popsted here as well......

bob