Anything you are passionate about?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I incline more to the buddhist view:
From passion arises sorrow and from passion arises fear. If a man is free from passion, he is free from fear and sorrow.
I am not a buddhist but I find that striving for detachment gives me a more peaceful and therefore happier life.

But it may be that my views are not really so different from those of other posters, and it is all in the definition of the words.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I incline more to the buddhist view:
From passion arises sorrow and from passion arises fear. If a man is free from passion, he is free from fear and sorrow.
I am not a buddhist but I find that striving for detachment gives me a more peaceful and therefore happier life.

But it may be that my views are not really so different from those of other posters, and it is all in the definition of the words.
I never heard the quoted words above, but I do remember an excerpt from the Bhagavad-Gita
from attachment arises desire; from desire passion springs up; from passion comes bewilderment; from bewilderment, confusion of the memory; from confusion of the memory, destruction of the intellect; from destruction of the intellect he perishes.
Which may explain my state of confusion and deteriorating mind.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
What do you do with it?
I run those OS'es on my PC's for regular PC related tasks (but I also experiment a lot ;) )

Is it your work? Your hobby?
Both...

PS: Is it raining cats & dogs out your way, like it is here?
I haven't seen so much rain since 1999, when it rained every day from November the 1st of 1999 'til January the 15th of 2000...

PS: I still went swimming yesterday morning... feels good !

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
My current biggest passion is intense irritation at the way blancas/gringos/ex-pats talk about and criticize Dominicans/negros/morenas/latinos here in the DR. I find them a hardworking, skilled bunch of people whether it be car repairs, building and quick to learn new easier ways of doing things. eg 3:4:5 rule, pilot holes in hard wood. Those in charge are a different kettle of fish, I wish someone could teach ayuntamentos like here in LT that concrete/mortar has to cure for 3/4 days before you put weight on it and that loose material fillings for holes will subside. Mind you it was fun teaching my wife how to poach eggs. We?ve got nice Dominican neighbours, friendly, helpful even if sometimes very noisy.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
My # 1 passion is DANCE - it is my escape, my exercise, my stress reliever and my fun! I can dance salsa, bachatta, merengue for 4 to 6 hours!!! I miss swing and jive, no one knows how to do it here......

My other passion is reading and learning. I think when we stop learning we die.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mentirosa....

My # 1 passion is DANCE - it is my escape, my exercise, my stress reliever and my fun! I can dance salsa, bachatta, merengue for 4 to 6 hours!!! I miss swing and jive, no one knows how to do it here......

My other passion is reading and learning. I think when we stop learning we die.
Come clean, darling.....I know what you are TRUUUULY passionate about.....Your passion numero uno:

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!. Wahahahahaha!.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Otra pasion....

I am also very passionate about Boxing...... I love to watch it and record it.

There's a BIIIIIIIIIIIG chance that ANY big fight from the late 70's until the present.....I have.

My collection is PRICELESS!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Miguel now everyone knows!!!! Sheeeeeesh this was supposed to be a giant secret....... Now what am I supposed to tell the other guys???

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
No me importa.....

ANNNNND, I am passionate about being passionate...Ummmm

Sorry Miguel .. some content deleted. Too Passionate for the Living Room! ;)
We may have kids in the house you know! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I am also very passionate about Boxing...... I love to watch it and record it.

There's a BIIIIIIIIIIIG chance that ANY big fight from the late 70's until the present.....I have.

My collection is PRICELESS!.

Do you have Roberto Duran vs Estaban Dejesus # 1

My favorite fight of all time

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Pues mira que si....

Do you have Roberto Duran vs Esteban Dejesus # 1

My favorite fight of all time
Now only do I have number one, but I also have number 2 and number 3 (granted, I recorded 1 and 2 AFTER the fact).

Numero uno was in 1972 and De Jesus handed Duran his first loss,
Numero dos was in 1974 and Duran knocked De Jesus out in the 11th,
Numero tres was in 1978 and Duran knocked De Jesus in the 12th,

De Jesus was a very talented fighter, VERY......What a shame he had to deal with so many demons (inflicted by himself, of course).

I actually was very sorry when I heard he had full blown AIDS and died a few weeks after the Puerto Rican Governor granted him a Prison Pardon.

A real shame he didn't take advantage of that God's given talent to the fullest!.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I'm passionate about geneology. (I really want to know more about my dead relatives maybe they will tell me who I am. I think maybe I'm just passionate about digging in archives and finding answers to questions. Does anyone need a new recipe for guacamole or limoncelo or tabouli or pomegranate orange salad?)

I'm passionate about education. I just graduated with my TESOL certificate, although I've already forgotten 95% of what I studied. It transforms people and no one can take it away, unlike money, love, health, and youth. Dance is a spiritual expression (salsa, merengue, bachata, cumbia.... and Persian dance.) I used to be passionate about marathon running, now I prefer marathon kissing. You know I mean business when I put on the Omara Portuondo. ;)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I am passionate about languages. I love picking them apart. I like knowing odd little things about them. Why things are said the way they are said.

Just knowing that in the DR XXXX is said but in Argentina xxxx is said is very exciting to me.

Spanish is really fun. In one country a word is vulgar and in another it's not.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Otra mas....

While on the phone with Planner, the conversation took a turn and we started to talk about ignorant people and it just hit me........

I am passionate about telling ignorant people of!!!!!!!!!. Wahahahahaha!!.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
I'm passionate about Malinois and training them in Belgian ring; The hardest Policedogtraining available.

They are fast
They hit hard
They don't take prisonners...
They have them for breakfast

greetings

Johan

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I'm passionate about a lot of things but the most passionate I'm about my baby girl, she's the sunshine in my life and the reason that I'm in the DR.
photo

Picasa Web Albums - frank - My Pictures

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hola 2 Left Feet, your contribution rang a big bell here, if you want to start a new thread on the language theme I?ll join you. just for example polenta is known in the DR and in Romania as mamaliga - why?