Apprehensive About Trip to US

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Ken said:
I started this thread, as Scott indicated, as a parody on all the threads posted by nervous nellies coming to the DR. But the more I got into it, the more I realized that much of what I was writing about is true: life is better in many ways than in the US.

LMAO, I bit, hook, line and sinker!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ken said:
The thing about AZB is that his posts are so predicatable. If he isn't calling women who post in the sanky thread "fat cows" he is complaining about the hookers in Sosua. I agree with Scott that if I detested a place as much as he claims to detest Sosua, I wouldn't spend the time there that he does in Sosua.

In any case, I'd rather worry about a few hookers on the streets than gun toting mafia guys shooting citizens and stealing their SUVs.

Oh boy, I had to dodge bullets to come to my office this morning. Where can I buy an armored car and a bulet proof vest? Hahahahaha

By the way, I visit sosua beach (not sosua hooker town) about 3 times a year. I think I visit atlanta more in a year than sosua. hahahaha, you guys are funny.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
NotLurking said:
So do I!

Of course access is not a problem but try to get a Doctor to consult you at home for a few dollars! It aint gonna happen plain and simple! That is what Ken is highlighting.

So they don't buy and drink bottle water just the same? They drink marketing or is the end result the same? They buy and drink bottle water because they either DON'T LIKE or DON'T TRUST tap water. Same difference to me. You can sugar coat it all you want but the end result is the same!!! ...bottle water sells and more expensive than DR...hehe.

Don't make me laugh. No one huh? Ask the Department of Homeland Security if they're thinking about terrorism. I guess not according to you but... Many, yes many, Americans still have concerns about terrorism, and to them, it's still a big deal. Don't play it down it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

Haft truths? Like what? That people in USA buy and drink bottled water? Or perhaps that cellular service is more easily acquired cheaply and therefore more convenient in DR? Don't forget that you don't get ripped off in DR when someone calls your cell phone as in USA. I guess the half truths have to do with medical care. Do they? Medical care and prescription drugs are cheaper in DR and access to both of these at 'one's home' are just a phone call and a few dollars away. That's right it's not a typo or half truth! You can get a doctor to consult you in your home or have the pharmacy take your prescription drugs to you doorstep with a simple phone call. No half truth there.

Rellosk, many dish it up all day long about the DR but can't take the equivalent of a grain of sand in criticism. Come, come now, lets be fair.

NotLurking
Lets be fair? Come on. When you call a cell phone in the DR it costs you money to call. Not so in the US. Cell phone plans are way cheaper in the US now than in the DR. I like the US way better than the DR way regarding cell phones!

Escott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:
Lets be fair? Come on. When you call a cell phone in the DR it costs you money to call. Not so in the US. Cell phone plans are way cheaper in the US now than in the DR. I like the US way better than the DR way regarding cell phones!

I thought NotLurking was comparing the difference between a visitor in the DR and a visitor in the US. Based on my recent investigation, I'd say it is much better in the DR. The rate per minute charged by the cards of Verizon and Orange are much below those in the US, and you pay only when you make a call.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Escott said:

Escott

That is exactly what I'm referring to! Yeah, what Ken said and... :) Why should it cost the owner of the cell phone money to listen to unsolicited trash? The norm is the calling party pays on all other phone service. Why is it different on cellular in USA? In DR the caller pays as it should be. When someone calls your cell in USA, why should it be your dime to listen to the nut that called you? I can spoof call ID and ANI (in case you want to avoid me by using call ID - ah, VOIP, just peachy!) and call your cell all day in USA and if you answer you pay. Fair isn't it? Cheaper too? :D :D

In DR I can walk into any cellular shop with a phone locked or needing PRL, SW upgrade or FLEX programming and walk out in a few minutes with service NO QUESTIONS ASKED for a few hundred pesos. Prepaid minutes here in DR are RD$6.98 (US$0.24 includes all taxes) for local, USA and PR calls with Verizon. Can you say the same about that wonderful cellular service of USA. Remember, we're discussing temporary prepaid service here, not those nasty 1 year contracts you need to sign out thereto get cheap minutes...LOL

NotLurking

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
NotLurking said:
That is exactly what I'm referring to! Yeah, what Ken said and... :) Why should it cost the owner of the cell phone money to listen to unsolicited trash? The norm is the calling party pays on all other phone service. Why is it different on cellular in USA? In DR the caller pays as it should be. When someone calls your cell in USA, why should it be your dime to listen to the nut that called you? I can spoof call ID and ANI (in case you want to avoid me by using call ID - ah, VOIP, just peachy!) and call your cell all day in USA and if you answer you pay. Fair isn't it? Cheaper too? :D :D

In DR I can walk into any cellular shop with a phone locked or needing PRL, SW upgrade or FLEX programming and walk out in a few minutes with service NO QUESTIONS ASKED for a few hundred pesos. Prepaid minutes here in DR are RD$6.98 (US$0.24 includes all taxes) for local, USA and PR calls with Verizon. Can you say the same about that wonderful cellular service of USA. Remember, we're discussing temporary prepaid service here, not those nasty 1 year contracts you need to sign out thereto get cheap minutes...LOL

NotLurking
Do you know how many people won't call you on a cell phone in the DR because of the cost?

I pay 25 cents a minute on a prepaid cell in the US and after 10 minutes it goes to 10 Cents. Yes even the shltty plans in the US are better.

I was referring to the monthly plans although you are talking the cards. Same difference. No one has to pay to call you in the US. I like it better that way.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ken said:
I thought NotLurking was comparing the difference between a visitor in the DR and a visitor in the US. Based on my recent investigation, I'd say it is much better in the DR. The rate per minute charged by the cards of Verizon and Orange are much below those in the US, and you pay only when you make a call.
Actually cheaper in the US. Consider the fact that it doesn't cost YOU to call a cell phone and the difference is NADA. Cheaper in the US!

Mario

Sep 26, 2004
AZB,

Looks like some agree with my description. It is unclear as to why you mention my being a member of the GAY community. Reads like homophobi to me. I stand by my assessment of Sosua. There is both good and bad eveywhere. This is for gay, str8, bi, or otherwise. Mario

Escott said:
Sosua is "PACKED WITH DRUGS, VIOLENCE, POVERTY, ALCOLOISM?

Every once in a while someone who does NOT have a clue posts BS like this. Only thing I notice living in Sosua is that there are a bunch of alcoholics but you can probably find them anywhere. Rest of your statement is just plain FALSE. Maybe within the GAY community which you are a member but NOT in the rest of the community an average Expat is exposed to.

I remember one jerk talked about gunfire every night in Sosua. That was also a bunch of Bull just like your statement.

Escott

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Escott said:
Actually cheaper in the US. Consider the fact that it doesn't cost YOU to call a cell phone and the difference is NADA. Cheaper in the US!
NO Escott, it doesn't matter how you twist it, it cost the owner of the cell phone more MONEY in USA than in DR!!! As an example consider a 10 minute incoming call to you at your 25 cent per minute cell phone in USA. You PAY $2.50. Now consider that same incoming call in DR at 24 cent per minute. You don't pay jack in DR!!! Do you see it now? For extra credit, how much would you pay talking on your phone ALL DAY on incoming calls both in DR and in USA? Cheaper than USA, huh? HA, yeah right!

BTW a penny is not 'nothing' but if you think it is...can you give me 1 billion pennies?

NotLurking

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Mario said:
AZB,

Looks like some agree with my description. It is unclear as to why you mention my being a member of the GAY community. Reads like homophobi to me. I stand by my assessment of Sosua. There is both good and bad eveywhere. This is for gay, str8, bi, or otherwise. Mario
I mention it because it must reflect on the people you hang out with. I live there and haven't experience the BS you wrote about. I mention it to find a possible reason why I, who lives there, NEVER had the violence nor drugs you experienced, while you who is a screaming gay did claim to experience it. I never would have known had you not posted it.

AZB would agree with anyone who disagreed with me no matter how stupid they were. No big deal there.

Escott

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
NotLurking said:
NO Escott, it doesn't matter how you twist it, it cost the owner of the cell phone more MONEY in USA than in DR!!! As an example consider a 10 minute incoming call to you at your 25 cent per minute cell phone in USA. You PAY $2.50. Now consider that same incoming call in DR at 24 cent per minute. You don't pay jack in DR!!! Do you see it now? For extra credit, how much would you pay talking on your phone ALL DAY on incoming calls both in DR and in USA? Cheaper than USA, huh? HA, yeah right!

BTW a penny is not 'nothing' but if you think it is...can you give me 1 billion pennies?

NotLurking
Let me ask you a question, who would be calling you if you didn't give them your number? Let me tell you the answer to that one, NO ONE. Sometimes I need people to call me back. Same as calling them again.

After the first 10 minutes which is maybe one call my rate drops from 25 cents a minute to 10 cents a minute. Yup, definately cheaper.

Calling plan rates are more than 2x the US when in the DR. Either way I think the US is the better bargain.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Escott said:
Let me ask you a question, who would be calling you if you didn't give them your number? Let me tell you the answer to that one, NO ONE. Sometimes I need people to call me back. Same as calling them again.

After the first 10 minutes which is maybe one call my rate drops from 25 cents a minute to 10 cents a minute. Yup, definately cheaper.

Calling plan rates are more than 2x the US when in the DR. Either way I think the US is the better bargain.

Ok Escott you win, everything is cheaper and better in USA. Is it possible for you to list your cellular prepaid service provider? I would really appreciate it and I suppose Ken would too.

Regards,
NotLurking

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey Ken, My uzi is in the shop for repairs right now, but Mary's is working really good. Stop by Minneapolis early in your trip and we'll let you borrow Mary's. I still got the 357 mag. up and running real good and that will get us through until you return "the big guy"

Have a great trip;)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
NotLurking said:
Ok Escott you win, everything is cheaper and better in USA. Is it possible for you to list your cellular prepaid service provider? I would really appreciate it and I suppose Ken would too.

Regards,
NotLurking
I am lending the phone to Ken for his trip, have already made the offer got his dates and responded that I would bring the phone back home with me to lend to him.

The prepaid service provider is Virgin Mobile who actually uses Sprints system and numbers.

I didn't say everything is cheaper and better in the US but it isn't unreasonable for Ken, myself or anyone that lives in the DR to use prepaid there and is much cheaper than signing on for a plan. I believe it is the best way to go!

I have used the phone for 2 weeks and haven't gone halfway through the $25 bux I put on it and I am not shy to use it.

Another tool I use when traveling is Skype which is a service I run off of my computer with a headset. Hook up wireless on the laptop and make calls for .017 cents a minute in the US. I haven't gone through 10 bux on that either and that is making a lot of business calls. Check it out at Skype.com and it is a free download.

Escott

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
I mention it because it must reflect on the people you hang out with. I live there and haven't experience the BS you wrote about. I mention it to find a possible reason why I, who lives there, NEVER had the violence nor drugs you experienced, while you who is a screaming gay did claim to experience it. I never would have known had you not posted it.

AZB would agree with anyone who disagreed with me no matter how stupid they were. No big deal there.

Escott
The people who see no hookers, filth, poverty (among dominicans who live there) and certainly hear no murder news that comes from sosua/cabarete area are either deaf, blind, stupid or simply own land there to protect their investment.
the only good thing about sosua is the beach and that all.
AZB

Badussy

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 18, 2005
AZB said:
The people who see no hookers, filth, poverty (among dominicans who live there) and certainly hear no murder news that comes from sosua/cabarete area are either deaf, blind, stupid or simply own land there to protect their investment.
AZB

I agree i am going to buy skin whitener, apply to med school and move to santiago so that i can be considered acceptable.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
AZB said:
AZB
You think I have to protect my investment in the Dominican Republic by bs'ing here on DR1? Hell Sosua is Sosua for the good and the bad. Seems like people who live here aren't losers who have to run to the middle of the country in a hot sticky crowded, polluted city in order to starve also there.

Have you seen violence when you are in Sosua? Have you seen DRUGS? What is the sense of asking you to be honest and realistic anyway, those words aren't even in your vocabulary.

Nevermind, you have no credibility with anything anyway. I don't really care what you think. You are the guy that said that the bombing of the World Trade Center never happened and then said that it was the Mossad and CIA that did it. You are simply a joke and a broken record. How anyone takes you seriously is beyond me. I guess if you repeat the same stupidity over and over and over again some of it will stick on a dope.

Hows the Jihad going? You think you are winning the battle?

Escott,
Friend of AZB

PS> for those that do NOT realize it Santiago is way poorer, way more dirty and has more crime than Sosua. What a shlthole!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Escott said:
I don't really care what you think. You are the guy that said that the bombing of the World Trade Center never happened and then said that it was the Mossad and CIA that did it.

I can confirm that.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Camden Tom said:
Hey Ken, My uzi is in the shop for repairs right now, but Mary's is working really good. Stop by Minneapolis early in your trip and we'll let you borrow Mary's. I still got the 357 mag. up and running real good and that will get us through until you return "the big guy"

Tom, right now it looks like ouir agenda is too full this trip to make it up to the land of the Eskimos. But if I feel the need for protection, I'll find a way to get that 357 mag.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ken said:
I can confirm that.
I shouild have written him off when he told a German fellow in Sosua that Hitler didn't do a good enough job on killing the Jews. I was there in Sosua with a him and a few other. He is a headcase and I should have known better than to become friends with him.

Shouldn't give those types of people a second chance to be human!

Escott