Are Property Values Dropping on North Coast ?

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Some people prefer to own rather than rent. We are snowbirds and spend 5 months in the DR. We own our home, have it furnished to our taste, come to the same place every year and everything is how we like it. Have been doing this for 15 years. If we sell it for less than we planned it is still worth it.

Bingo!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some people prefer to own rather than rent. We are snowbirds and spend 5 months in the DR. We own our home, have it furnished to our taste, come to the same place every year and everything is how we like it. Have been doing this for 15 years. If we sell it for less than we planned it is still worth it.

Well ahead of the game for having done so more than 13 years ago.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

I absolutely agree with you. I like not having to pack clothing each trip, having my own pots and pans, etc. We bought our land back in the late 70s, and have spent more on perimeter walls and renovations than the original house cost. No real estate taxes [campo] and no hotel or rental bills for decades. Can't lose.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Lots of sour grapes.......unless your buying in now then there ain't much downside left it's cheaper to buy then build!!. .... I lived through a recession in Canada 30 yrs ago same effect ..... When and if it bounces all your gonna hear is told ya so ...and pats on backs....at least whinning will stop. ;). A lot of tin foil hat and sky is falling enthusiasm lately ... Maybe sun to strong...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Lots of sour grapes.......unless your buying in now then there ain't much downside left it's cheaper to buy then build!!. .... I lived through a recession in Canada 30 yrs ago same effect ..... When and if it bounces all your gonna hear is told ya so ...and pats on backs....at least whinning will stop. ;). A lot of tin foil hat and sky is falling enthusiasm lately ... Maybe sun to strong...

I was just going to ask if anyone here has actually Purchased and Sold, withing the last 10-15 years, and made a PROFIT, even if it was only a modest profit, on the sale..

But I think you may have just answered that question in your above statement..
Once it becomes cheaper to buy, than to build that same house.. that says a lot., no ?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I was just going to ask if anyone here has actually Purchased and Sold, withing the last 10-15 years, and made a PROFIT, even if it was only a modest profit, on the sale..

we did. it was an apartment, tho.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

There are a few DR1 members that deal in real estate and make money. You just don't hear from them a lot - they might chime in. You mostly hear from people who are losing money and blaming the "market".

The same thing happens in the States though, everybody thinks they can jump in and make money in real estate. Like somebody else mentioned, there's too many "house flip" reality shows on TV. But if you're looking to buy, there are some awesome deals on the north coast. It just takes some groundwork, knocking on doors, etc.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I know of two prominent dr1 members that have bought and sold in Sosua / Cabarete and done very well on a handful of properties.
If you know how to buy, and have a network, it's not nuclear physics, it's timing & pricing.
One even gave me right to first refusal before he stole a property!

Aug 21, 2007

But I think you may have just answered that question in your above statement..
Once it becomes cheaper to buy, than to build that same house.. that says a lot., no ?

Read my post, the third one on this thread. I bought and sold in the midst of the recession. Got every penny back that I spent on and invested in the house, plus a little. And I am going to do it again with one of my properties. I believe there is a formula to be able to do this. Most of the comments on this thread break one of the first rules in the formula.

Lindsey

May 29, 2006
The ppl who don't do their homework drive up the prices beyond what rational ppl would pay,. I bet I can get you a nice open air beach bar with a dozen plastic chairs for the bargain price of $40K US that has dozens of customers every day(during high season)..

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Oh yea, prices have dropped. Even during the 3 years I lived there. Most importantly, what is advertised is now the price the owner or managment company will take. My last place was a freakin mansion in Haciendas El Choco, and I was paying $1,700 a month. Ya just gotta be patient, and look for the deals.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Oh yea, prices have dropped. Even during the 3 years I lived there. Most importantly, what is advertised is now the price the owner or managment company will take. My last place was a freakin mansion in Haciendas El Choco, and I was paying $1,700 a month. Ya just gotta be patient, and look for the deals.

Was that David Jenning's old place?

Frank

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I dunno. It was a 6 bed big ass house with huge pool.

BTW, you still owe me a drink for finding that cheap little house in Montenello.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
vosgas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: