Are you cold? You ought to be!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Somebody tell me it's wrong....My outside thermometer in Santiago is stating 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Is this some kind of record?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Condensation is not forming on the outside of my cold beer but it is still lovely and warm in the sun.

Nice!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
IT is supposted to continue for another day at least. Enjoy it while you can. What goes down will go up....at least it usually does.

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Finally I'm happy now because I'm sweating a little. However, I still have a bad head cold from all of that freezing weather.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Finally I'm happy now because I'm sweating a little. However, I still have a bad head cold from all of that freezing weather.[/QUOTE

And here I thought colds were caused by germs and viruses.

They are, supposedly.
I have never got a straight answer out of a doctor as to why people develop colds (viral) and subsequent infections (bacterial) from changes in environment (temperature and humidity).

Perhaps the extra snot and mucus produced and expelled by the body has something to do with it?

Yuck!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Finally I'm happy now because I'm sweating a little. However, I still have a bad head cold from all of that freezing weather.

And here I thought colds were caused by germs and viruses.

I have typically always gotten my colds during the change in weather. Now we just need to have someone publish a paper correlating lower immune defenses with a change in temperature and voila it will be official. :)

?

? bient?t

I have typically always gotten my colds during the change in weather. Now we just need to have someone publish a paper correlating lower immune defenses with a change in temperature and voila it will be official. :)

Stay indoors with mocosos, y mocoso ser?s.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Thanks for that Bob.
Last time I was at the Dominican doctor's I asked why he was prescribing antibiotics for my viral infection - a nasty cold that would not go away.
It was genuinely news to him that antibiotics were for bacterial infections.
He thought that was how to cure a cold. He then told me that a cold is 'flu - the same thing exactly.
They seem to have the same name in Spanish according to babelfish - Grippe?

I was always told that 'flu would literally have you flat on your back wishing you were going to die whereas a cold can be nasty but you could still get out of the house in the case of a fire, for example.
I do not think I have ever had 'flu.
For several Dominican doctors me or the missus have seen over the years this is the default medicine.
They can do great damage to a population blindly prescribing antibiotics.
The problem is that when a doctor tells me something, I have been programmed to listen. In my country they have to go through years of higher education to even be a doctor.
Considering the lack of basic knowledge - what is the process of becoming qualified to practice as a general practitioner in the D.R.
Is it like being a lawyer where a few years of part time study can get you there?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
First of all you need to find a new doctor. They're not all that ignorant. :)
It's not just that the doctors prescribe antibiotics willy-nilly; a lot of people self-medicate and can buy antibiotics over the counter. Once they start feeling better - whether or not thanks to the antibiotics - they just stop the course.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Don't think that Dominican doctors are all stupid nor that they are the only ones who give out antibiotics. They do at at least the same in the US - this based on what my mother told me and when we lived there with two girls.

The only reason they should give antibiotics for a viral infection is if there is a chance from a secondary infection, ie if mucus forms in the lungs which could lead to pneumonia. For this reason they will typically prescribe antibiotics to very small children as pneumonia can be deadly.

Also, according to my mother she gave me antibiotics when we were growing up at least 4 times a year as I was born with acute sinusitis. Apparently it hasn't done me any damage because I still respond well to antibiotics. It seems I take them maybe once every other year for severe bronchitis.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First of all you need to find a new doctor. They're not all that ignorant. :)
It's not just that the doctors prescribe antibiotics willy-nilly; a lot of people self-medicate and can buy antibiotics over the counter. Once they start feeling better - whether or not thanks to the antibiotics - they just stop the course.

I'm not intimate in the details but my wife's prima's daughter did 4 years at UASD Medical school and is now doing her internship at a public hospital/clinic for her specialty (eyes). I bought her Gray's Anatomy written in Spanish about 3 years ago, as the price tag was 3 times as high in the DR as here. I've personally visited two Dominican doctors for treatment and have no issues with them. As in any profession there are good, bad, and indifferent.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Having debate cold and colds, and colds, I think this thread has run its course, don't all y'alls????

HB