Arrivals Down At POP During First 3 Months Of 2014

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
AI food usually sucks. Breakfast is the only good meal.

I think there is a bit of an identity crisis in terms of what type of tourist the north coast is going to attract. This is just my personal opinion, but the AI tourist shouldn't be the target group. Punta Cana has all that crowd, and it's doubtful that they're letting it go unless facilities aren't maintained over the years. Tour operators are going to go along with it. Newer infrastracture and cheaper flight prices help them maintain margin. The AI crowd is lost for the most part IMO, so I think you have to target the in between tourists. The tourist who want to experience more than an AI, but they will most likely speak very little spanish. They will need to feel secure because the language, culture, and environment is what they want, but you have to ease them into it otherwise it will overwhelm them. Here is a few groups that I can think may want to go to the north coast.

Eco-Tourist - Zip lines, ATV tours, waterfalls, hiking/scenic mountain tours, snorkeling, driving, surfing, sunset cruises

Party Tourist/Sex Tourist - You can't deny that they will come. I'll get to these guys.

Cultural Tourist - Menrengue classes. Spanish classes. Why don't get bars to sponsor weekly/monthly dance contests on PC with cash prizes? You could have winners grouped by best in age groups, best local couple, best local/tourist mixed couple, etc. From what I can tell, people there will dance at the drop of a hat. If you added even a 500 peso incentive, people might get into it.

Why not weekly/monthly best mamajuana contest on PC? I assume people have personal recipes. Have local politicans, business owners, etc as judges and let tourist who pay the fee to be a judge drink samples and cast votes like they do in BBQ contests. You could do other dominican food based events bake sales, dessert sales, etc.

Baseball tour/camp - Some kind of option to attend practices with a local team. Maybe if there are enough tourist players involved, you have a tourist vs locals game after a couple of days practice. If you're an american teenager/young adult that loves baseball, you might want to have the experience of having played ball there. They may think it gives them some credibility. If you're a local team, you may want to have the fun of beating a bunch of tourist ballplayers from the states.

Art shows on PC would be another idea. Organize it for artists to display works that are numbered. Set up a cental area to purchase what you want and keep the atrists from being in the exhibits to avoid the artists doing the "Hey! buy this one!".

What about shows from local dance troupes and stuff like that.

Obviously, I'm just spitballin ideas, and some would take government action. It may seem like corny stuff, but people who want to experience a little without being overwhelmed would go for that kind of stuff.

In order to make stuff work though, there has to be the right environment which makes me think of some other suggestions.

Tolerance zone - Build a 8 ft or 10 ft wall around a block. Let people build whatever bars, clubs, strip clubs, etc in there that they want. This is how Mexico used to do it. They put cops at the 1 or 2 entrances that check bags and wand for weapons. You could probably even charge a small fee to get in, but once you're in the zone, you're on your own unless cops see fighting, weapons, etc. It gets the negative activities out of sight. Everyone wants them out of sight. They want to be out of sight. It allows for rigid law enforcement everywhere else. Local girls or guys loitering in the tourist area alone. You've got three options, get moving, go to the tolerance zone, or go to jail. It's harsh but it's how other places keep the tourist zones free of that stuff.

Tourist information booths/Tourist Assistance - The government employs people to work in tourist information booths and to be available in the tourist zone. They would have to speak some english. Wear a uniform that identified them. Imagine if there were no guys at the steps down to Sosua beach with laminated sheets approaching you as you got close. Imagine if there was a booth that looked official that had a guy who spoke some english in it. Suddenly, as a tourist, i made choice to go find out about a tour or buy a map. I didn't just push right past those other guys because I felt under assault with offers. Same thing with the guys on the street. If I'm a tourist and see an event on the street, i can walk over the uniformed guy who I can ask what is going on. He can give me history. Recommend a restaurant. Translate for me. He doesn't have to be 100% on the up and up. As a tourist I feel better, he looks official, and yes, I'll tip with no problem if he wears a button that says we work for tips. He's bringing the gap for me.

Moto/Taxis - They need pull throughs. A tourist is not going to like having to say no to five moto drivers just to walk down the street. Build pull throughs. Big U shaped one way drives near the tourist zone. Moto drivers and taxis pull in one way, they get in line, a tourist cop works the front, a tourist approaches the cop, and says I want a moto or a taxi, then cop points to who's next. The key is that the tourist gets to approach things as they want. Any taxis or motos that are in the tourist zone that aren't in the pull through, they get fined, booted, tires flattened, or whatever.

Those are just some basic ideas besides like improve infrastructure, electricity, sidewalks, street lighting, etc. I think most people over estimate the effect of that stuff on tourism. I could care less about the highway. It's actually kinda cool to watch life go on without electricity without skipping a beat where as at home it just stops. I think a North Coast non-AI tourist wants to experience something different, but you've got to help them bring the gap a little. I don't think you can be successful saying "There is great stuff here to see. Go check it out". It will overwhelm them from a cultural and language standpoint.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not crazy ideas...

eg
we had a family visit Cabrera a while back.... he, the father, was baseball related - jobwise-

The children played w/ the local team onec/twice.... had a great time

Interaction is the key.....
that may not be possible in Sos/Cab... but GH, RSJ and Cabrera, it is
Those games were in Nagua..... away games

everybody had fun

just spitballin' here........

true story..... you're on it --- get o/s that box!!

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I'm just sharing my opinion. In 2002 when I started travelling, I was exclusively an AI tourist. I wanted a picturesque beach like something out of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. I wanted fruity drinks and to be in an environment where I felt safer than at home and everyone spoke english. By 2006, I wouldn't stay in the AI compounds. You just need the right place to let your comfort level increase. The environment is key. You have to reduce pressure, and even though you're leading them to water, let the tourist think it is their idea to drink.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
a childhood friend of mind owns two hotels in Jamaica. one is Franklyn D Resort, which was the first family all inclusive on the island. the second is very interesting. he took the information that roughly 50% of marriages in NA end in divorce, and that the wives usually get custody of the kids. dad gets to see them on specified weekends. so, he came up with the idea of a hotel catering to men and their sons. they could spend a week of quality time together, doing man stuff, like hiking and biking, ATV and dirtbiking, fishing, etc. you get the gist. the buildings are rustic, but the creature comforts are there. a week of male bonding. it was popular a few years back, but i have not followed it up. i make reference to this, because what the DR needs is someone who can think out of the box, and not just imitate the imitations.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Very interesting Gorgon! What is your opinion of non-AI areas like Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? I haven't been anywhere near those two for some time so I refer to them as non-AI. For all I know they may have built up the whole place according to the AI model.

Also, how is La Romana and Casa de Campo doing in terms of service, price, etc? What I have read on AIs is that the food is basically garbage. Mass produced tasteless food served for the pigs at the trough. Opinions? Hey I'd be a pig too if I were at an AI so no offense to pigs or the people at the AIs,LOL.

What would it take for the AI model within the DR to suffer a serious decline? It seems that as long as they can serve up the cheapest vacation product by taking care of the customer from the airport to the hotel and back with one price there will be no decline. Unless of course, the global economic decline kicks up in earnest.

there has been research into the matter of AI tourism which suggests that when a destination functions in a business environment wherein they are depending on 30% or above in package deals, the destination may be doing well numerically, but is already in decline.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Wow
Thats a lot of stuff - but none of you really analyse the numbers so you dont know what makes the North Coast tick.

We have been keeping the monthy numbers for several year now and none of you know what the numbers mean in terms of Tourists on the North Coast.

What is the reality - Numbers!!!

Olly and the Team

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wow
Thats a lot of stuff - but none of you really analyse the numbers so you dont know what makes the North Coast tick.

We have been keeping the monthy numbers for several year now and none of you know what the numbers mean in terms of Tourists on the North Coast.

Olly and the Team

so how about you disclose the numbers and allow us to see if anyone here is sufficiently astute to analyze them....

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
AI food usually sucks. Breakfast is the only good meal.

I think there is a bit of an identity crisis in terms of what type of tourist the north coast is going to attract. This is just my personal opinion, but the AI tourist shouldn't be the target group. Punta Cana has all that crowd, and it's doubtful that they're letting it go unless facilities aren't maintained over the years. Tour operators are going to go along with it. Newer infrastracture and cheaper flight prices help them maintain margin. The AI crowd is lost for the most part IMO, so I think you have to target the in between tourists. The tourist who want to experience more than an AI, but they will most likely speak very little spanish. They will need to feel secure because the language, culture, and environment is what they want, but you have to ease them into it otherwise it will overwhelm them. Here is a few groups that I can think may want to go to the north coast.

Eco-Tourist - Zip lines, ATV tours, waterfalls, hiking/scenic mountain tours, snorkeling, driving, surfing, sunset cruises

Party Tourist/Sex Tourist - You can't deny that they will come. I'll get to these guys.

Cultural Tourist - Menrengue classes. Spanish classes. Why don't get bars to sponsor weekly/monthly dance contests on PC with cash prizes? You could have winners grouped by best in age groups, best local couple, best local/tourist mixed couple, etc. From what I can tell, people there will dance at the drop of a hat. If you added even a 500 peso incentive, people might get into it.

Why not weekly/monthly best mamajuana contest on PC? I assume people have personal recipes. Have local politicans, business owners, etc as judges and let tourist who pay the fee to be a judge drink samples and cast votes like they do in BBQ contests. You could do other dominican food based events bake sales, dessert sales, etc.

Baseball tour/camp - Some kind of option to attend practices with a local team. Maybe if there are enough tourist players involved, you have a tourist vs locals game after a couple of days practice. If you're an american teenager/young adult that loves baseball, you might want to have the experience of having played ball there. They may think it gives them some credibility. If you're a local team, you may want to have the fun of beating a bunch of tourist ballplayers from the states.

Art shows on PC would be another idea. Organize it for artists to display works that are numbered. Set up a cental area to purchase what you want and keep the atrists from being in the exhibits to avoid the artists doing the "Hey! buy this one!".

What about shows from local dance troupes and stuff like that.

Obviously, I'm just spitballin ideas, and some would take government action. It may seem like corny stuff, but people who want to experience a little without being overwhelmed would go for that kind of stuff.

In order to make stuff work though, there has to be the right environment which makes me think of some other suggestions.

Tolerance zone - Build a 8 ft or 10 ft wall around a block. Let people build whatever bars, clubs, strip clubs, etc in there that they want. This is how Mexico used to do it. They put cops at the 1 or 2 entrances that check bags and wand for weapons. You could probably even charge a small fee to get in, but once you're in the zone, you're on your own unless cops see fighting, weapons, etc. It gets the negative activities out of sight. Everyone wants them out of sight. They want to be out of sight. It allows for rigid law enforcement everywhere else. Local girls or guys loitering in the tourist area alone. You've got three options, get moving, go to the tolerance zone, or go to jail. It's harsh but it's how other places keep the tourist zones free of that stuff.

Tourist information booths/Tourist Assistance - The government employs people to work in tourist information booths and to be available in the tourist zone. They would have to speak some english. Wear a uniform that identified them. Imagine if there were no guys at the steps down to Sosua beach with laminated sheets approaching you as you got close. Imagine if there was a booth that looked official that had a guy who spoke some english in it. Suddenly, as a tourist, i made choice to go find out about a tour or buy a map. I didn't just push right past those other guys because I felt under assault with offers. Same thing with the guys on the street. If I'm a tourist and see an event on the street, i can walk over the uniformed guy who I can ask what is going on. He can give me history. Recommend a restaurant. Translate for me. He doesn't have to be 100% on the up and up. As a tourist I feel better, he looks official, and yes, I'll tip with no problem if he wears a button that says we work for tips. He's bringing the gap for me.

Moto/Taxis - They need pull throughs. A tourist is not going to like having to say no to five moto drivers just to walk down the street. Build pull throughs. Big U shaped one way drives near the tourist zone. Moto drivers and taxis pull in one way, they get in line, a tourist cop works the front, a tourist approaches the cop, and says I want a moto or a taxi, then cop points to who's next. The key is that the tourist gets to approach things as they want. Any taxis or motos that are in the tourist zone that aren't in the pull through, they get fined, booted, tires flattened, or whatever.

Those are just some basic ideas besides like improve infrastructure, electricity, sidewalks, street lighting, etc. I think most people over estimate the effect of that stuff on tourism. I could care less about the highway. It's actually kinda cool to watch life go on without electricity without skipping a beat where as at home it just stops. I think a North Coast non-AI tourist wants to experience something different, but you've got to help them bring the gap a little. I don't think you can be successful saying "There is great stuff here to see. Go check it out". It will overwhelm them from a cultural and language standpoint.

Great post.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Wow

Olly and the Team

I almost forgot you're the resident North Coast statistician that has yet to post any data or sources for your claims.

Maybe I should move this to the Clown Bin?

Robert and the 66,028 DR1 Members

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
they probably get a prepaid tax(entrance) stamp same as mexico...come in a group it is paid ...no extra waiting in line,,,how they going to charge russians ten us? i was happy to meet my first russian on vacation back in the days after the wall...surprised but thrilled///

Jan 3, 2003
there has been research into the matter of AI tourism which suggests that when a destination functions in a business environment wherein they are depending on 30% or above in package deals, the destination may be doing well numerically, but is already in decline.

So its all a mirage? It seems like things are popping over there in terms of raw numbers and sales generation in AI packages sold but in terms of anything else it suggests decline? For us outsiders it seems that with near 5 million tourists per year (1/2 the DR populace) the AI model is working. One thing's certain, I don't see much or if any of that AI money trickling down to the DR poor and their communities. They are more busted today than ever. The bartenders maybe the exception.

I've spoken to many who worked in the construction phase of those AI's. They were overworked, underpaid, ripped off and slept in close quarters like Indian migrants in Dubai. Exploited and mistreated, many could not hold out and left with nothing back to their hometowns. I doubt many who work in the AI's as menial labor (cooks, cleaners, maids, attendants) are faring any better.

It is along the lines of the mirages that I write about in the global economy. Economic growth globally is being economically engineered. Between the central banks and the governments colluding via money supply manipulation and creation they have produced the mirage of economic growth. This allows the movement of money to take place and gives the appearance of cash transactions coming and going. Yet behind it all, there are no real organic business entities doing the money moving. It is the perfect deception on a global scale.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
So its all a mirage? It seems like things are popping over there in terms of raw numbers and sales generation in AI packages sold but in terms of anything else it suggests decline? For us outsiders it seems that with near 5 million tourists per year (1/2 the DR populace) the AI model is working. One thing's certain, I don't see much or if any of that AI money trickling down to the DR poor and their communities. They are more busted today than ever. The bartenders maybe the exception.

I've spoken to many who worked in the construction phase of those AI's. They were overworked, underpaid, ripped off and slept in close quarters like Indian migrants in Dubai. Exploited and mistreated, many could not hold out and left with nothing back to their hometowns. I doubt many who work in the AI's as menial labor (cooks, cleaners, maids, attendants) are faring any better.

It is along the lines of the mirages that I write about in the global economy. Economic growth globally is being economically engineered. Between the central banks and the governments colluding via money supply manipulation and creation they have produced the mirage of economic growth. This allows the movement of money to take place and gives the appearance of cash transactions coming and going. Yet behind it all, there are no real organic business entities doing the money moving. It is the perfect deception on a global scale.

there are numerous working papers and books by many researchers who describe the marginalization of workers in the hotel industry, and the leakages from all inclusive tourism. in the case of the caribbean in general, and the DR in particular, most of the hotels are owned by major foreign operators, and are functioning on sweetheart tax breaks, and very little oversight. the 80% local worker content is a joke, since the 20% plum jobs are reserved for foreigners, and the 80% are the maids and gardeners. subtract the tour operator costs, the cost of imported inputs such as food and liquor, and the repatriated profits, and very little actually reaches the hands of locals. tourism as a development strategy is a mirage, with numbers without explanation.