Arrivals Down At POP During First 3 Months Of 2014

John Danzell

May 19, 2014
www.facebook.com
John I think you've had to many cubas ,I think that if they made a concerted effort to restore the colonial zone might be a good starting point , the majority of people could care less about baseball players .

lol I can hardly argue with you, as i am far from a baseball fan myself. but it is very difficult to be a sports fan at all, and not be completely aware of personalities like A-Rod, Big Papi, and Albert Pujols. but for those that manage to be unaware, i am pretty sure that they are familiar with some of the actors, actresses, or musicians.

May 29, 2006
It's folly to get a Dominican company to create a marketing campaign for Americans or Canadians. They present a DR idealized to them, not gringos. They don't know the competition from other countries, or other ad campaigns for that matter.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
very curious why Canada is getting targeted marketing that the USA isn't, when the USA is the largest contributor of tourism to DR.

You know, I am not sure if they ware on a Canadian channel or an American one. It could have been either. When it comes to TV the border is blurred.

May 29, 2006
This is the kind of stuff they should be showing:

[video=youtube;ZaVzcOt_onU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVzcOt_onU&list=PLKJGDRCVfp3y0svgSC6TYLOLy8omoT6Ps&index=1[/video]

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You know, I am not sure if they ware on a Canadian channel or an American one. It could have been either. When it comes to TV the border is blurred.

it may an ad by the tour company rather than RD itself.....

you need to watch to see who's paying for the time

SosuaSam

Jan 4, 2010
It's folly to get a Dominican company to create a marketing campaign for Americans or Canadians. They present a DR idealized to them, not gringos. They don't know the competition from other countries, or other ad campaigns for that matter.

I agree that the DR needs to hire outsiders to prepare ad campaigns targeted for outsiders. I don't think Dominicans really understand the triggers that attract outsiders, and possible those triggers may be different in different regions (North Amer vs Germany vs Italy vs Russia vs South America). They need to use outside expertise instead of thinking they know it all and its not one-size fits all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
not necessarily true

look up a couple of Red Bull videos..... the F-1 car on the beach at PC and the Malecon in SD
both shot by local companies

there is a lot of talent in RD

my guess is that they choke when it comes to spending the $$$.

maybe CB can dig up the videos

check this out....Guerrero Filmworks, SRL

they are the company in SD

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree that the DR needs to hire outsiders to prepare ad campaigns targeted for outsiders. I don't think Dominicans really understand the triggers that attract outsiders, and possible those triggers may be different in different regions (North Amer vs Germany vs Italy vs Russia vs South America). They need to use outside expertise instead of thinking they know it all and its not one-size fits all.

They do and pay millions. Go do some research on who gets paid and some background on these companies. Also look at our Travel News, we cover this stuff.

They also hire well known branding companies to create campaigns etc.
But... It's one thing having a plan, it's another one executing and paying for it.

A few years ago, a very successful London based branding agency produced an outstanding strategy for the DR. They nailed it, it was by far the best one I have ever seen. They laid out exactly what needed to be changed, how, how to promote promote etc. Unfortunately the tourism minister at the time was not happy, as it exposed some home truths about the DR.
Ignorance and I assume a lack of real funding canned the project. Similar scenarios have played out in recent years for Santo Domingo etc.

Look at my previous posts on this over the years. I think I have even posted some of the campaign presentations if my memory served me correctly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Here's a small branding company... London based

for those who don't know the concept... branding and imaging

can change the perception or create the perception

Aesop has a couple of stories you'll recognize

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
not necessarily true

look up a couple of Red Bull videos..... the F-1 car on the beach at PC and the Malecon in SD
both shot by local companies

there is a lot of talent in RD

my guess is that they choke when it comes to spending the $$$.

maybe CB can dig up the videos

check this out....Guerrero Filmworks, SRL

they are the company in SD

the fact that they might have the technical expertise to manipulate the camera equipment does not mean they have the know-how to structure the content.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Suit yourself..... I know these guys.

you can't hang around , shoot , edit good content w/o learning something.

why don't you investigate them a bit..... you may like them
young , up&coming Dominicans

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Suit yourself..... I know these guys.

you can't hang around , shoot , edit good content w/o learning something.

why don't you investigate them a bit..... you may like them
young , up&coming Dominicans

marketing and film production are two different animals.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
The Public Relations Director of the Dominican airports (AERODOM), Yolanda Manan, did add to this, that despite the decline in the number of passenger in the first three months, they do expect a slight increase over the year 2014.

Seems like every year there are more and more

Jan 3, 2003
people are coming to a destination that has no attraction, other than the fact that they are getting a great bargain. that is an unsustainable business model. other destinations have drawn huge crowds at the beginning, but have declined when people began to question what they got out of the experience. the fact that the DR has the lowest return rate in the caribbean is cause for concern.

Very interesting Gorgon! What is your opinion of non-AI areas like Las Terrenas and Las Galeras? I haven't been anywhere near those two for some time so I refer to them as non-AI. For all I know they may have built up the whole place according to the AI model.

Also, how is La Romana and Casa de Campo doing in terms of service, price, etc? What I have read on AIs is that the food is basically garbage. Mass produced tasteless food served for the pigs at the trough. Opinions? Hey I'd be a pig too if I were at an AI so no offense to pigs or the people at the AIs,LOL.

What would it take for the AI model within the DR to suffer a serious decline? It seems that as long as they can serve up the cheapest vacation product by taking care of the customer from the airport to the hotel and back with one price there will be no decline. Unless of course, the global economic decline kicks up in earnest.