Arsenic in Rice - Yikes!

Dec 26, 2011
arsenic is a fairly common compound, both in natural form (mines) and as a chemical. it has multiple uses, including medical. yes, some forms of arsenic were used to treat syphilis, others are approved for cancer treatment. it can be found in water, soil, air and food. many water supplies are contaminated - naturally - by arsenic and contain level higher than it is suitable for human consumption but not high enough to immediately poison anyone.
it is normal to have trace arsenic in food, nothing to write home about. i hate how media create hype around those events and push people into living in fear. it's one thing to have awareness of what really is in your food and another thing to be paranoid about it.

I always like more beans and less rice anyway. Like my rice nice and wet.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
arsenic is a fairly common compound, both in natural form (mines) and as a chemical. it has multiple uses, including medical. yes, some forms of arsenic were used to treat syphilis, others are approved for cancer treatment. it can be found in water, soil, air and food. many water supplies are contaminated - naturally - by arsenic and contain level higher than it is suitable for human consumption but not high enough to immediately poison anyone.
it is normal to have trace arsenic in food, nothing to write home about. i hate how media create hype around those events and push people into living in fear. it's one thing to have awareness of what really is in your food and another thing to be paranoid about it.

Most people are not a great risk from arsenic. Those that eat a lot of rice may be different. Please do read this link.

Arsenic

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Most people are not a great risk from arsenic. Those that eat a lot of rice may be different.

may be or may be not, because as far as i know there are no conclusive studies to show long term effect of prolonged exposure of non-toxic doses.
and i think if rice was that deadly china and india would not be nations with the highest population on earth.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
may be or may be not, because as far as i know there are no conclusive studies to show long term effect of prolonged exposure of non-toxic doses.
and i think if rice was that deadly china and india would not be nations with the highest population on earth.

From what I have read, the ground water in Asia does not have as high a concentration of arsenic as the ground water in the Americas.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
From what I have read, the ground water in Asia does not have as high a concentration of arsenic as the ground water in the Americas.

still, rice eating americans do not drop dead like flies.
what i want to say is exactly what i wrote in sugar and sand thread: everything in moderation. rice is only one of the available staples. even here, in DR we still have platanos, bananas, rulos, yuka, batatas, name, yautia, buenpan, potatoes. there are so many other options. many more in america.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
what i want to say is exactly what i wrote in sugar and sand thread: everything in moderation. rice is only one of the available staples. even here, in DR we still have platanos, bananas, rulos, yuka, batatas, name, yautia, buenpan, potatoes. there are so many other options. many more in america.

No question about it. My second wife died from cancer (she was from a country where people ate rice every day and often more than once a day.) My mother died from cancer. A friend here just lost his wife to cancer and lived with a cancer survivor before that. A fellow from Canada , a musician, went to Canada this week for cancer treatment. Who knows what caused that.

We can be selective. Hopefully it doesn't cause problems for those that eat rice almost every day.

Lawmakers seek limits on arsenic in rice | Reuters

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Americans rarely cook much of anything that gets a meaningful scoop of rice in it, and when it does it represents a very limited size of the population. As noted, Latinos eat white/bleached rice in their diets, unlike the brown and wild type rice mixes which carry most of the highest arsenic levels found there.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Again, remember that Dominicans always wash the rice before cooking. That in itself helps.

As far as cancer in DR, I suspect that many people there don't even know they have it. It's not like the US where screenings are commonplace throughout your life, and the quality of medical facilities doesn't measure up (in most cases) either.

That make sense.

Only Dominicans wash their rice before cooking? I thought it needed to be washed.

Wow, live and learn. I am not being sarcastic. I really didn't know this... :chinese:

Dec 26, 2011
That make sense.

Only Dominicans wash their rice before cooking? I thought it needed to be washed.

Wow, live and learn. I am not being sarcastic. I really didn't know this... :chinese:

The common suggestion was not to do so, so as not to wash away any nutrients added to the rice to "enrich" it.

nas

Bronze
Jul 1, 2009
Poisons, it is the homeopathic principle of remedies.

The principle, it is to give to your body a poison or a virus in small quantity so that your immune system develops an anti poison or an anti virus.

If to disinfect you your body, your immune system will never can developed by antibodies.
That is why, in 2012 so many people are allergic to all which moves.
People do not give the luck(chance) to the immune system to develop anti-allergies..

You have serious comprehension problems.

GB, are you Dominican? You are having problems, dude! :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
windeguy, cancer is very common. our food, water, the air we breath is contaminated with chemicals, heavy metals and naturally occurring poisons. many environmental issues cannot be controlled, cannot be avoided. cancer is a civilizational disease: we have the power to overcome and cure so many illnesses but we keep on creating new ones.

having your loved ones die of cancer is painful but you cannot let that make you paranoid about your food, drink and the lifestyle you keep. some things you can eliminate (quit smoking) and control (eating home made, organic, safe and secure foods). but do not let this become the only sense of your existence. at the end of the day cancer is a roulette, there is nothing you can do about it.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
My sister who has since died of colon cancer didn't believe that rice is a food, she only used it as a medicine. I never asked what it is supposed to cure.
Der Fish

As far as I know rice was used to concoct many home remedies for topical problems, but mostly the stuff found on the surface as the grain itself got disposed of.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
That make sense.

Most American brands of rice in the US says something like "Do not rinse before or after cooking to retain vitamins".

I have NEVER washed rice. I sure will now.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i never eat rice. hate that thing.

I grew up in a southern Italian home - NO rice. Ever. The only time mom ever made it was if someone had 'the runs' - as a natural remedy/medicine.

I eat rice now, but to tell the truth, if I were cooking for myself I'd never make it. Mr. AE craves it, as do our kids, and now our grandkids love it too, so I'm rather outnumbered. Looks like I'll be cooking it for the duration of my life. :classic:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I grew up in a southern Italian home - NO rice. Ever. The only time mom ever made it was if someone had 'the runs' - as a natural remedy/medicine.

I eat rice now, but to tell the truth, if I were cooking for myself I'd never make it. Mr. AE craves it, as do our kids, and now our grandkids love it too, so I'm rather outnumbered. Looks like I'll be cooking it for the duration of my life. :classic:

I love risotto, risi e bisi.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i grew up in a communist poland: potatoes all the way! :) to this day my parents do not even eat pasta. neither do i, actually, because it lies heavily on my stomach.
when i came to DR miesposo was a rice man. i changed his diet completely. he now eats huge variety of starch foods, many times we have meat/fish with salad only, no carbs. our life is pure harmony: i have to cook different stuff and he has to eat it! :)