Assassination in Sabaneta

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This is typical anywhere... there will always be "witnesses" to contradict the actions of police.

What is ironic is those that are the first to cry that the police do nothing are always the first to criticize when they do do something.

I think the concerns go a bit deeper here. The reason there were a lot of witnesses is because this happened in the middle of the afternoon, in daylight, in full view & not down some dark alley at night. That's why a lot of people phoned in to the programme (it was a radio pogramme btw not TV as I said above, although it has been on local TV as well). So I think the concern is that the police wouldn't think twice about doing this in full view. The concern isn't what they did (police have been taking out villains the whole 15 years I've been here) so much as how they did it and why. The 'why' depends on whether they are straight police or not. The straight police feel they have little other option because a corrupt judiciary frequently lets criminals walk (not all judges, but some). The non-straight police take the criminals out because they are members of a rival distribution network so they are reducing the competition.

The problem for the average citizen is trying to work out the 'why' - were these straight police ridding the world of dealers/robbers etc or were they the other sort? Even those of us who've lived here some time just don't know any more - police officers we've known years & could have sworn were straight appear to have been 'got at'.

That I believe is the problem & that is what leads to citizen uncertainty. Police ridding the world of bad guys rarely imperil average citizens. But police taking out the competition have to be opportunistic, so..........it can happen anywhere, anytime. The concerns are far more profound than a few police killing a few bad guys. Although the numbers do appear to be growing - I posted in another forum 30 police killings in a 17 day period. That was before this lot (Sabaneta) and the others over last weekend.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
"Good folk sleep well at night,knowing that rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf":pirate:
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Great quote...

korejdk

Bronze
Dec 29, 2006
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Great quote...

Reminds me like the bloodbath that the RE has in Florida now...I don't see any difference...

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Just a heads up to the people in Costa Azul - attempted robberies still go on I gather even though these guys were taken out. A security guard there got shot & injured recently whilst he was working. Scroll down to second item (first item is a Canadian murdered at the weekend in Torre Alta, Puerto Plata).
Puerto Plata Digital

is mikehunt there

*** Sin Bin ***
Jan 18, 2007
It would appear that at least two of them were shot in the back of the head. Ask yourself - do you think they were running away?

im okay with the criminals getting a shot to the back of the head, ill stress it again...im really happy they got a shot to the back of the head! there should be more of it. look, within my profession i come into close contact with criminals! They dont stop their behaviour until you stop them Maybe those beautiful dominican families that were terrified can take a deep breath and enjoy their christmas and new year!!!
i for one have a smile on my face when i think that this community received a wonderful christmas present ...the deaths of these two criminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frog17112

Nov 20, 2007
Is it safe in the DR?

Just a heads up to the people in Costa Azul - attempted robberies still go on I gather even though these guys were taken out. A security guard there got shot & injured recently whilst he was working. Scroll down to second item (first item is a Canadian murdered at the weekend in Torre Alta, Puerto Plata).
Puerto Plata Digital

Any reason giving for the Canadian that was murdered? Was there an arrest or is this going to be "swept under the rug?" Is it safe in the DR these days?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Any reason giving for the Canadian that was murdered? Was there an arrest or is this going to be "swept under the rug?" Is it safe in the DR these days?

No reason given in the paper. It doesn't even feature in the online version of the other Puerto Plata paper El Faro. I've got the print version - if there's anything about it in that I'll let you know after I've read it. PP Digital says police are investigating. Yes I imagine there will be a number of arrests, there usually are. There are many threads on DR1 on safety - my answer would be yes provided you're streetwise, have home protected, live 'right' (i.e. watch who you associate with etc), but it certainly isn't as safe as it used to be. Now, also is a bad time of year - Xmas etc.