Average wage in DR not enough for basic family budget

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Guy sells 200 to 300 on average depending on weather per day @ $35 RD per pop.
You do the math and see where it goes.
Works less than half a day, since opens up frying late afternoon only into early nights or dark skies.

I usually get a dozen of each, meat and cheese, when I stop by. I only get lucky half the time with a full order.

And most of the time he runs out of them earlier on some options. He says he doesn’t make more because they dry up too fast and don’t cook well. I think he just figures why work more, if sold out go home earlier.

Much like the guy that runs the bike showroom on SES close to Hache. He closes by 12 noon and may or may not show up again after 2 pm to reopen.

Or the público driver that drives the heap of junk on Ruta A and he is the only one that owns the least cars on his block. A total of 5 all rented out, so he drives this old junk.

People here have multiple streams of income, not great but when put all together, it piles up.

The guy by circunvalación norte Exit in Ave Duarte/carretera licey, sells plantains and greens in a corner hut. Buys the plátanos at $4 each from the growers and sells them at $12 each. Day in and day out. I always must wait for a service turn to purchase one dozen each green and almost yellow ones.

Nacional on 27 by El Guano is always busy with shoppers, not to mention the one on Duarte in Villa Olga. Ditto for Bravo after Bellon and the one across Amigos in Rep de Argentina…

Jade is always with orders in Shopping center by Materno and not to speak about the one at Matum.

As for the rest of informal sellers? Plenty to be had all around the city. You know things aren’t that bad when the Shoeshine boy is stepping on his nikes…

There’s poverty, but there’s also a lot of non reported income going around. From the bottom up.

I don't doubt it, I just think that an empanada seller clearing 40K per week is unusual outside of big cities such as yours and SD. Same for the platano seller, but I could be wrong.

Having said that, I am aware that there is money in the DR. I see the luxury cars coming in every week ends. The villa I am renting right now belongs to a Dominican from the capital (unsure about his job). Heck, I even have a friend who has a taller doing porton, and these ugly grills for windows etc...who is doing very good for himself....always busy.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Tax evasion is a cultural trait here in the DR.
It’s a big problem for gov to balance the books.

The present RNC is not efficient, but only a bit better than none before.

When the gov starts to apply the ITBIS and services tax directly on all transactions pertaining to the industries, at the point of electronic transactions alone, the tax evasion magnitude will be revealed.

That’s why we need to move away from paper and metal currency in circulation and onto the electronic platform of banking 100%.

I tried to force my landlord to accept wire transfers, checks or any other than cash, but no!
He will drive and pick it up cash only each month like clock work.

Like I said, when you start seeing a yuca empanada seller depositing over 40,000 a week into his account, you’ll know the scope of the problem with this here.

We always paid employees the minimum on books, to avoid a higher employer’s obligation, and provided cash bonuses instead, to complement the wages.

The famous envelops here in the DR…

In gov, they use the man with the black suitcase.
tax evasion...and all other forms of evasion are popular as well.....

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I don't doubt it, I just think that an empanada seller clearing 40K per week is unusual outside of big cities such as yours and SD. Same for the platano seller, but I could be wrong.

Having said that, I am aware that there is money in the DR. I see the luxury cars coming in every week ends. The villa I am renting right now belongs to a Dominican from the capital (unsure about his job). Heck, I even have a friend who has a taller doing porton, and these ugly grills for windows etc...who is doing very good for himself....always busy.

Location, location, location!
He’s in a great location and lots of traffic.
Others as well (like almost all Lalin’s empanadas carts) are peppered all sound in strategic places they control without competition.

The churros is by far the most profitable cart street food. The profits are incredible versus the costs.
You must understand these informal jobs are self employed and therefore there aren’t any associated costs other than maybe location rent and materials. The owner is the worker.

Most informal workers in the DR are conformists. They make what the need and no sooner head out to other things they deem more important than making extra atop the income.

The real poor are those without a skill or even enough to put up a self employed operation like the empanadas. They need money to make money, which they don’t have access to, nor to a personal lender.

My landlord has some 15 properties all rented out. But he also buys opportunities that show up for a quick turn over. His flat monthly income on these runs over 400k pesos a month easy.

He does nothing but hang out all week long. Playing lottery.

Like most of us here, he has discovered not being in businesses, is the best business in the DR.

Passive income is the best choice in an economy like the DR.

We’re looking at land in Las Terrenas, to build some rental properties to put under a management company we’re cozy with.

That’s my next pet project.

Attachments

• 8A6FCDC8-A973-438F-9820-F1B03D739B42.jpeg
    8A6FCDC8-A973-438F-9820-F1B03D739B42.jpeg
    181.2 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: Africaida

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Today the green plantains are on deal pricing running at $7 each and those in less than perfect size/condition $5 each.

Guy is buying them at deep discounted bulks.

It’s been raining so they put them extra cheap to sell the bulk of the ones in stock prior to them getting too ripe.

And still making profit.

Informal economy for you at face value!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 107

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
Wondering when and where would you be setting that empanada selling join?

That of course, is he quickest path to richness in country, right?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I just happen to know a guy that owns 50 setups, operating from actual properties like any other biz, of empanadas, quipes, etc…

His minimum take home net at each location is no less than $3,000 pesos a week (crazy as it sounds so low for brick and mortar) in the worst of weeks.

All he does is deliver the raw products and pick up cash on his routes.

Guess his weekly intake?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Like I said plenty at times here on DR1, the best business in the DR is not to be in business at all.
I’m the middleman alone. I get my cut and let others get the big chunk.

I sell nothing, buy nothing, and stock nothing.
Information is money on itself.

But I understand you and others see it otherwise.

Reactions: JD Jones

Radical

Jan 5, 2021
SOMEWHERE
I just happen to know a guy that owns 50 setups, operating from actual properties like any other biz, of empanadas, quipes, etc…

His minimum take home net at each location is no less than $3,000 pesos a week (crazy as it sounds so low for brick and mortar) in the worst of weeks.

All he does is deliver the raw products and pick up cash on his routes.

Guess his weekly intake?

Would it be cheese, chicken, beef, huevos, the empanadas filling business I meant ?

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
He delivers the seasoning and oil /gas when picks up $$$
The guy that supplies him the Yuca/Potatoes/wheat/flour/meats/cheese/guava chunk/ etc delivers exact weighted portions at each location weekly.

The operators start early morning to prepare the daily’s fare and once done, open shop.
They fry everything on the spot. The portions are weighed for consistency and size.

He figures that even if they steal from him, it matters not as long as rent and expenses are covered and he sees a minimal weekly intake.

So far he only had to replace two guys from all of the operations. They were selling other non legal stuff at the location.