Awful experience at Mama Pasta in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
So I just moved to a new part of Sosua about three weeks ago. Since then I have gone to Mama Pasta about five or six times. I really liked the meat lasagna.

Nothing else there has interested me but the meat lasagna was good. And my wife liked it too.

So earlier tonight we stopped in for the same. Plus I tried the meatballs and we had a drink. So far so good. When it was time for the bill he put an extra lasagna on it. I was confused. The explanation was that the last time we were there we took a full lasagna to go but his wife didn't charge us for it because she thought it was leftovers.

None of us can remember that now. Maybe he is right but how do I know that now? So my comment was that this was his fault and how does he presume to charge me for it now?

Of course he says it is not his fault and that we did it and should pay. What the hell? Is that how you run a business? If you make a mistake that is your fault and you suffer the consequences. I'm not trying to get over on anyone but I can't remember what exactly I ate and paid for two weeks ago no more than I expect him to be able to. And by the way if his business was that good he wouldn't be able to remember it. If he can remember that well then business must really suck because he isn't seeing anybody else in there.

I told him I had just moved into the area had been there five times in the past three weeks and he said I had only been there twice. That was the ultimate insult. He minimized my business and minimized me as a customer. Especially for a place that I never see very crowded. Are you kidding me? You can't remember how many times me or my wife have passed there but you can remember the one lasagna that should have been charged two weeks ago? Good for you. That says everything we need to know.

So I paid the bill as stated and told him I would never be back and that is the damn truth. I actually threw the money at the table. Sorry for him that he doesn't seem to think we are as good a customer as we would have been when his business seems to be oh so crowded every day. If you know the place you already know what I mean.

Sorry harleysrock, I know you love this place. Hey, I actually liked the lasagna too but when you have another arrogant, dumb*ss running the place there is no need to say I won't be back. I guess he never forgot to charge you for something you ate one night and then nonchalantly added it to your bill three weeks later.

What a shame. This place had potential. I was questioning why it didn't have a lot of customers and now I know why. If they keep this up they will continue this way until they run out of money.

At the end of the day we're talking about $250 pesos. A drop in the bucket. In reality it isn't worth arguing over which is why I decided to just pay it and leave. But the principle of it is more important than the money itself. It simply is not the way to run a business and not the way to treat returning customers when you already seem to have very few customers.

Funny. My Dominican wife said if a Dominican had treated a Gringo like that the Gringo would have had a major fit. She thinks I was pretty calm considering the circumstances. She deals with so-called Dominican a-holes every day and even she thinks he was a total a-hole. Well, be an a-hole then. But don't sit around crying the next day about why your business doesn't have any customers and doesn't make any money afterwards.

From now on when in El Batey I will stick with the only reliable good service, good food place I know for Italian here and that is Elefante (recently changed names to Titty y Ana I think for the mother and daughter).

Not sure what information I need to post here to put in a negative review for a business but I'm ready to post everything on this one because this guy is a first class #1 A*hole of a business owner. This is absolutely how you do not run a business. And yes I actually do run my own business for about another 18 months until I fully retire so I know how to treat my customers.

Email = chjopf@gmai.com

Name = Chuck Proconio

What else do you need to know to keep the thread going?, I will provide it.

Sucks you had a bad experience, sorry to hear that!

If the customer is upset in this situation you should definitely take it off the bill!!!

I know we have forgotten to pay him bc we always eat his food at the Coco Hotel next door and stay late, a week or 2 will go by and he remembers as we do that we owe him and he is chill about that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chuck, I believe that since you've provided your full name and contact information that the thread will remain. If Robert requires more, he will let you know.

Aug 6, 2006
Even if he did forget to charge you two weeks ago for a lasagna, it is foolish and bad business to stick you with the bill for it after two weeks.
He should consider the fact that his forgetting to bill you was his incompetence, not yours, and if he tries to stick you for the bill now, he is going to look like a fool and lose a good customer.
This is not like you made off with an extra Rolex.

Now you will tell others about this fool, and he will lose more business. Good will is worth more than the price of one lasagna.
Less than six bucks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Chuck, I believe that since you've provided your full name and contact information that the thread will remain. If Robert requires more, he will let you know.

i agree. robert can comment further if he sees fit.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I agree with the OP one hundred percent. Not a good way to treat returning customers.

I would be mad as hell too.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Thats fine, no more details needed.

Lets hope the word get's around so he makes a change.
It could well turn out to be the most expensive RD$250 he ever collected.

If anyone knows him, send him a link to this thread.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
new way to pocket extra money making up a lie just like returning a rental and having one of the side workers saying give me some money and i wont charge you for the dent thats not there

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
I would like a dollar for every bar that said you forgot to pay your bill the last time you were here ,they all play that game, I'm sure gorgon remembers la fuente in long beach, he was notorious for that, and he lost all his business because of it.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I'm finding it quite amusing that so much can be said about a potential RD$ 250 overcharge. Seriously? Do you get that bothered in the US if a restaurant adds a US$6 charge to your check by accident? To the point where you write a really long post on a forum telling people never to go there? No of course you don't.

I know that you like the meat lasagna, but going there 6 times in just 3 weeks and eating the same dish is too many times. There is so much nice chicken and pork on this island, maybe you'll now get a chance to try it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I’m sorry you had a bad experience.. but if its not the food you had a problem with, imo your problem is with him and just between you 2 and has nothing to do with anyone else who may want to try the food there and may never have such issues.. And the Food there is GOOD from what I heard from anyone who has tried the place.

The way you tell this story it sounds like both of you perhaps had a bad day.. it happens.. even Family members go at it.. and in a couple weeks you may just realize that it was not worth getting so upset over 250 pesos, which by your own admission was owed.. just his attitude about it stunk..
I just dont see how this is a bad review for the Restaurant.. just sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding..
Hope you guys resolve it and work it out , life is just way too short for this kind of stuff..

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Problem with keeping tabs everywhere, especially at bars is that one day they will play thier card. I've done this at several colmados over the years. Just grabbing a beer out the fridge, or sending someone for something for me, her grabbing extra stuff here and there. Almost always it ends with my custom being taken elsewhere after I go to settle up and they're abusing my confidence.

In DR this is exactly how a storm in a teacup kicks off and you find yourself in trouble with police, especially if free food is on the cards for PN. Mickey Mouse living.

May 29, 2006
This is one more reason why family owned businesses have more than double the failure rate of other businesses, esp in restaurants.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
years ago we had a bar & on busy nights the girls would sometimes get bills wrong.
my policy was to talk to the customer individually, find out the problem & find a resolution.
then ask
"are you happy with this?"

businesses are built on reputations & in small towns like sosua you live & die by your reputation.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I'm actually not even try to say he tried to overcharge us. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt that he is probably right about that. What I don't like about it is how he handled it.

If he thought we owed him then he should have had that conversation with me while we were ordering. Waiting until it is time for us to pay our bill for last night and then casually slipping it onto the bill is not the way to handle it at all.

Then on top of that he wanted to minimize the business I was giving him. My wife had been there five times in the past three weeks to buy food but he says only twice. His memory was so good on one thing but not on the other.

Five times in three weeks is a lot for us to visit one place and I suspect that is true for most people. But settling into a new home takes some time and cooking isn't always on the daily to do list.

Totally rubbed me the wrong way and still does. Just not the way to run a business. Screw the $250 pesos. If I had treated my customers like that in my business I would not be able to retire so young.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
I’m sorry you had a bad experience.. but if its not the food you had a problem with, imo your problem is with him and just between you 2 and has nothing to do with anyone else who may want to try the food there and may never have such issues.. And the Food there is GOOD from what I heard from anyone who has tried the place.

The way you tell this story it sounds like both of you perhaps had a bad day.. it happens.. even Family members go at it.. and in a couple weeks you may just realize that it was not worth getting so upset over 250 pesos, which by your own admission was owed.. just his attitude about it stunk..
I just dont see how this is a bad review for the Restaurant.. just sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding..
Hope you guys resolve it and work it out , life is just way too short for this kind of stuff..

I was having a perfectly great day up until that and a fine night after it. The $250 is garbage. I'm not upset about the overcharge and actually am giving him the benefit of being right about it. My problem is how he handled it. See my post $18 and you will understand. If he was just a waiter there I would agree with you. But he is the owner. So he is responsible and accountable for his business and especially his own actions. If he is the owner of the business and that is how he chooses to run his business then I don't care how good the food is, he gets no more of my business.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Look at the place. This isn't the Hard Rock Cafe. The owner is just trying to make a living RD$ 250 at a time. I understand the angst of the OP. The owner should have discussed the charge with the OP before it was added to the bill. That didn't happen and a customer was lost. Lesson learned, probably not. We all know that customer service in the DR is a rarity. We all talk about being taken advantage of if we get ourselves into a situation that facilitates it. To expect otherwise is foolhardy. Neither and lender nor a borrower be.

Check and pay your bill every time. If you inadvertently place yourself in a position to be exploited, it's still your fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.