Bad experience

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...because there are lots of foolish people walking around without the ability to appreciate they are not "in Kansas anymore." PT Barnum said it best and now these people can travel the globe to be exploited.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Perhaps stabitha....
But I can't imagine sitting in a bar or restaurant in NYC or elsewhere and accepting the 'kind' invitation of a stranger
to take me on a tour of Harlem or the Bronx.

Somehow. in the DR, common sense seems to change...
not the first time hearing a story like this

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It's not a bad experience.

It's tuition for future safe experiences.

I swear, even smart people coming to the DR lose their brainpower when they get a whiff of Dominican air.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
This is not really a big deal at all. If you all are so offended, and tried to get a man introuble with his job, and now looking go take it further. Dominican Republic is not the place for any of you. Maybe Amish Country PA is better suited for you.

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
This is not really a big deal at all. If you all are so offended, and tried to get a man introuble with his job, and now looking go take it further. Dominican Republic is not the place for any of you. Maybe Amish Country PA is better suited for you.

We were'nt even bothered with him until the last call. Not sure how far she wants to take it. Just checking to see other peoples experiences.

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
It's not a bad experience.

It's tuition for future safe experiences.

I swear, even smart people coming to the DR lose their brainpower when they get a whiff of Dominican air.

Not so much loss of brain power. But the island had a draw to it and very beautiful. Sometimes experiencing other places than the resorts are best. We made it back safe and apparently with some baggage.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Not so much loss of brain power. But the island had a draw to it and very beautiful. Sometimes experiencing other places than the resorts are best. We made it back safe and apparently with some baggage.

Glad your adventuresome. It's not just the DR as people will just come out and make outrageous requests which definitely violate normal and customary boundaries for North Americans and Europeans. It's quite normal, and the obvious answer is "no".

It happens so frequently that I don't even recall these episodes, but one that sticks in my mind is when a sort of whacky, gangly guy asks for my tires when I was stopped on my motorcycle. Um, "NO!". I waiting so, I talked for moment. He had a motorcycle but the tires have given out. So, he wanted mine. He was completely sincere, but... um, no.

It's also a game. "Hey, Gringo, I want 100 pesos." I ignore it, but when I come out. "Gringo, I want 100 pesos.". Err, that's nice. Sometimes I talk to them for some free Spanish lessons. Well, not free, if they have a good reason (or at least, a good story) for the 100 pesos.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
It was a reputable Excursion from a well known company in DR. Actually the plot has thickened. She placed a complaint with the company, deleted Whatsapp and blocked his number. Only for him to called blocked in which she answered, she shouldve known not to answer blocked numbers. He told her that the complaint she filed with him using the company as a ploy to get money from her has backfired on her as his friend told him everything and he did not get in trouble. Not even sure why he reached out to her. It was more of a big f/u to her and him gloating about what he did. Before deleting Whatsapp she saved all of the messages. Is there anywhere official she can lodge a complaint, or is this a lost cause. Sort of like a live and learn kind of deal?

Go put they guy's name and the name of the excursion company on Trip Advisor and other travel message boards. See how he likes that gloating then.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You/your friend need not bother pursing it further. Now that you are on DR1 you can
meet good people who live here on the island who have a wealth of knowledge when
it comes to daily life in the DR, myself included. Welcome to Wonderland!

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
You/your friend need not bother pursing it further. Now that you are on DR1 you can
meet good people who live here on the island who have a wealth of knowledge when
it comes to daily life in the DR, myself included. Welcome to Wonderland!

Thank you for the kind words. If we ever go back we will definitely check DR1 and pay a reputable company to take us on a tour of the DR.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If he calls again and you really want to pi$$ him off, just tell him you found a really nice Haitian guy that you bought a car and phone for and rented him a nice apt, and tell him you like the Haitiano more that him....that should bruise his ego......
My thoughts, not yours.....

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
If he calls again and you really want to pi$$ him off, just tell him you found a really nice Haitian guy that you bought a car and phone for and rented him a nice apt, and tell him you like the Haitiano more that him....that should bruise his ego......
My thoughts, not yours.....

Perfect, I will thanks. :D

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Perfect, I will thanks. :D

Noooo don’t do it :)
Tell him your husband left you and your getting divorced because your husband heard you calling his name in your sleep...then tell him you have no money or food until lawyer gives you half the money in 30 days....all you want to do is come back to paradise and live! Start with need money for cell minutes then move to plane ticket ;)
Oh almost forgot ... before you start asking for money , ask him if $600000 US is enough to retire down there and how much is a nice house since his opinion means so much to you :)
The reverse sanky ;)

Ohh cmon now. Why would you all give complete strangers your numbers and let them install apps on your phones??? Would you do that in your home country??? Would you just go on trips with complete strangers in your home Country? Stop being fools and think before you do silly crap. Just block him on whatsapp, I promise you the man isnt wasting money by calling direct unless your aunt has already given him money or has been, that you dont know of. She has her own sanky now

stabitha

Nov 2, 2018
Ohh cmon now. Why would you all give complete strangers your numbers and let them install apps on your phones??? Would you do that in your home country??? Would you just go on trips with complete strangers in your home Country? Stop being fools and think before you do silly crap. Just block him on whatsapp, I promise you the man isnt wasting money by calling direct unless your aunt has already given him money or has been, that you dont know of. She has her own sanky now

Thats what I thought, they dont keep calling unless you give them reasons to keep calling.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
Its not as uncommon as you think.

And neither are the negative outcomes of women in a foreign country accepting invites from men they have never met. Be thankful you and your relatives made it out safe. I wouldn't do this in a first world country let alone a thirld world one.

WhitneyNotHouston

Jun 4, 2019
Dude this sort of behavior is universal. Granted it is rather intense in DR, but is that behavior any different from the average drunk college white boy? Dominicans want the money mostly so they push for that, but boys everywhere have a tendency of making girls uncomfortable. The safest thing to do is have the single one wear a wedding band and pretend to be married. I have to do that anytime I'm walking downtown in Montreal.