Banco Progreso

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Yea this is disconcerting. I too use to use Cibao Prestamos but now my US Chase card doesnt work in their machines. Even at the airport my US card doesnt work at ANY of their machines.

I was able to use the Banco Progreso machines at Clinica Corominas to suck out 10K pesos but I dont know whats going on now.
I go, take out a bundle and use that to get me thru the week. Im not interested in that make several withdrawals a week because your limits are low.
Nor do I like those machines that want you to insert your card. I like the stick in and swipe readers.
But if none of them work who cares. All of these systems are supposed to compliant with MAC and PLUS so I dont know why they dont work.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Yeah no doubt-I found one ATM at Agora Mall Asoc. La Nacional-No fees and can take out 10,15,20K at a time.

However, it has the machine, where you have to insert your card and a locking mechanism on the slot. Also, when you are done with the transaction, the (chip) card comes out of the slot really slow almost like it doesn't want to come out or is being copied-LOL.

Apr 7, 2014
Yeah no doubt-I found one ATM at Agora Mall Asoc. La Nacional-No fees and can take out 10,15,20K at a time.

However, it has the machine, where you have to insert your card and a locking mechanism on the slot. Also, when you are done with the transaction, the (chip) card comes out of the slot really slow almost like it doesn't want to come out or is being copied-LOL.
I dont like that because at STI it almost didnt want to eject the card that one time. Man I was nervous!

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Thanks for that info about BP ATMs-Good to know. Do you think that you could pull out 20,000 in one withdrawal for that 195 fee?

I have never found a Banco Popular ATM where I could take out 20,000 p. Only 10,000 or maybe once 12,000. That is why I started using the other ones.

As others have said, Nacional is the best. No fee and I have always been able to take out 20,000 in one transaction. But, they took the ATM out of Jumbo in LR. And, I have not found one in Bavaro. Anyone know where there is one?

Second best WAS Banco Leon. I could usually take out 20,000. Lower fee. Or, Progresso in both La Romana and Bavaro for a while I could take out 20,000. A little higher fee. But, as above, neither of those is working with my chip card at the moment. Maybe they will fix something someday and they will work again.

There was a period of time not too long ago when all of the BP ATM's I tried would only do 8,000. They seemed to have changed for now. It's like a craps game.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And all of the above is why I go into the banco progresso an remove money via the teller! 1000us equivalent at one go. only fee is at the bank in the US.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
And all of the above is why I go into the banco progresso an remove money via the teller! 1000us equivalent at one go. only fee is at the bank in the US.

Can you do this type of 'cash advance' transaction with a debit card? I think this can only be done in DR at the teller with a credit card.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

Right. My only concern is that my card company would charge for a cash advance even though it is a debit card. Much more than the ATM fee. Even though it has the Mastercard emblem, they should not treat it like a cash advance because it would be just like an ATM withdrawal from my bank account. It is not like they would advance money. So, some day I will try it. I could ask the bank, but would not be sure the answer is right.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Right. My only concern is that my card company would charge for a cash advance even though it is a debit card. Much more than the ATM fee. Even though it has the Mastercard emblem, they should not treat it like a cash advance because it would be just like an ATM withdrawal from my bank account. It is not like they would advance money. So, some day I will try it. I could ask the bank, but would not be sure the answer is right.

The other concerning issue about cash advances at the teller is that the teller makes a copy of your debit card. With so much cloning of cards going on, I would say this is a no go. Maybe only, if you are using a credit card, the cash advance option is ok.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I use my debit card! (they run the card through card net or some such service) I believe and the charge is shown by my bank online before I get back to the house. I tried this once with BHDLEON and they would not do the withdrawal don't know about other banks in the DR. Takes 2 forms of ID I use my residency and Cedula.
Statement by my bank does not show any charge for the withdrawal. an the amount conforms to stated exchange rate posted at the bank.

Last edited:

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The other concerning issue about cash advances at the teller is that the teller makes a copy of your debit card. With so much cloning of cards going on, I would say this is a no go. Maybe only, if you are using a credit card, the cash advance option is ok.

Right. I thought about that too. I do not want to hand over my card to anyone. I never use it that way. Only in the machine.

One thing that protects the card from use by someone else in the ATM is that they also have to have the PIN. Inside the bank, they should make you put in the PIN also. So, even if the teller has the card number, in theory, they should not be able to do transactions without the PIN.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
One time someone did have my card number, they tried to use a cloned card in the Bronx, the machine declined the transaction because they did not have the PIN. My bank notified me, asked if I was in the Bronx.

In that case, I could only guess someone stole the information electronically from my pocket because I was in the airport JFK that day. Only a guess. The information could have been stolen somewhere else because at that time I was using the debit card just like a credit card. Like millions of other people. I stopped doing that. Even though I think your liability is limited similar to a credit card and the bank would reimburse you for any loss. I don't know what the limit is. But just the situation of having your bank account drained is worth avoiding.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
One time someone did have my card number, they tried to use a cloned card in the Bronx, the machine declined the transaction because they did not have the PIN. My bank notified me, asked if I was in the Bronx.

In that case, I could only guess someone stole the information electronically from my pocket because I was in the airport JFK that day. Only a guess. The information could have been stolen somewhere else because at that time I was using the debit card just like a credit card. Like millions of other people. I stopped doing that. Even though I think your liability is limited similar to a credit card and the bank would reimburse you for any loss. I don't know what the limit is. But just the situation of having your bank account drained is worth avoiding.

Key is to use a debit card on a checking account, where you can constantly keep the funds low, so if any fraud pops up they are met with 'insufficient funds' and blocked. This is a de facto way of providing your own security against fraud and larger amounts of funds being drained.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Key is to use a debit card on a checking account, where you can constantly keep the funds low, so if any fraud pops up they are met with 'insufficient funds' and blocked. This is a de facto way of providing your own security against fraud and larger amounts of funds being drained.

Good advice. Many years ago, I had our bank unlink our money market account from checking, for that very reason. And refused overdraft coverage.

Apr 7, 2014
I use my debit card! (they run the card through card net or some such service) I believe and the charge is shown by my bank online before I get back to the house. I tried this once with BHDLEON and they would not do the withdrawal don't know about other banks in the DR. Takes 2 forms of ID I use my residency and Cedula.
Statement by my bank does not show any charge for the withdrawal. an the amount conforms to stated exchange rate posted at the bank.
I have had repeated success with Banco BHD. I think because they have the US HQ in Washington Heights they are more strident about aligning themselves with US banking regs. There is one branch on the road from the airport where my card didnt work but I think basically that ATM didnt have any money at that time of the day(~1am). I went to a main branch on Calle Sol and my card is never declined or any funny business there.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
I have had repeated success with Banco BHD. I think because they have the US HQ in Washington Heights they are more strident about aligning themselves with US banking regs. There is one branch on the road from the airport where my card didnt work but I think basically that ATM didnt have any money at that time of the day(~1am). I went to a main branch on Calle Sol and my card is never declined or any funny business there.

Did not mean to indicate the card would not work with BHD what they would not do is do the withdrawal via the teller. Don't' know if they still do but used to have a 10k limit with a 195rd fee. By going into the bank at Progresso, I can draw up to the equivalent of 1000us without the fee showing (it may be charged but I'm not seeing it on either end)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

BHD has a NY location???? Since when? Can I deposit and withdraw there???

Apr 7, 2014
BHD has a NY location???? Since when? Can I deposit and withdraw there???
Doubt it. I think they only do home mortgages. I saw an office on Amsterdam and like 199 or something like that.

It says 136 Malcolm X Blvd in Harlem on Google and 2262 Jerome Ave in the Bronx. Just says bank and money wiring.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Bad to worse today. Progresso ATM still says I entered the wrong password. And, the Banco Leon machine ate my card. No way to get it back. Maybe I visit the bank tomorrow, if they are open to get it back. Today is a holiday.

There was a message on the screen of the Banco Leon ATM that said to use without card. Enter your 11 digit account number. I did not know this meant do not put your card in the machine, we will take it. Estan malditos ahora. Still learning...

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Progreso........

recently they had an ATM glitch (I hear).... chip cards wouldn't work

Fixed now

Well not quite-I went into the Banco Progreso surcursal in Agora Mall today and talked with a rep there. They told me they have a technical problem on their entire ATM network for international cards and the pin code is not being transmitted-accepted.

The lady there told me they are going to have this fixed in the next week.

So hopefully, Progreso ATMs will be back on-line to international cards by next Friday.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Bad to worse today. Progresso ATM still says I entered the wrong password. And, the Banco Leon machine ate my card. No way to get it back. Maybe I visit the bank tomorrow, if they are open to get it back. Today is a holiday.

There was a message on the screen of the Banco Leon ATM that said to use without card. Enter your 11 digit account number. I did not know this meant do not put your card in the machine, we will take it. Estan malditos ahora. Still learning...

Probably best to only use ATMs were you can swipe the card and pull it out, but they seem to be hard to find now. A lot of the ATMs are where you put the card in and it holds-locks it in the reader, but not inside the machine like many older ATMs.