bano del campo.... not really what I look forward to when there/..////

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
A compost toiet has 2 toilets, you fill one side and then move to the other, then later empty the first one and use as compost or throw away. The idea is you use alternatively. A long drop has to be moved around, and can pollute the natural water supply, and they stink, infact both can stink in the sun.
Compost toilets are great and very cheap to build.

I think possibly in the case of latrine, in the states it would mean long drop, here I think they mean compost toilet.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are two ideas here that are good: The one about funding a Peace Corps project--they have built and installed thousands of outhouses/latrines over the past 50 years. And the one by expatsooner: Do it yourself while you are there.

Look at it like this: Bad latrines are health risks. Good latrines are good for everyone, especially the surrounding community,. But while the ax goes up and down you need to have a replacement latrine...so it takes planning and decisions...the OP said that there were three families using this one.

Based on my experience, I would say a "two tank deep, two door unit with concrete base and wooden upper structure would be fine. I have even installed toilet seats in a couple of mine. That provides a cover for the hole. Remember to provide a place for a bucket of lime and a nail for the TP...

But, as was suggested, you need to be there to do this...

And there are plans on-line...

HB

Amended to include HB approval of "givadogabone's" suggestion of a compost latrine.!!! Yes, of course, it is a great idea, just a little more complex to build but a much better solution. Peace Corps and other groups have built a lot of these too.

Last edited:

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
i think that amstellite is admirable for actually going to see the country instead of locking himself down in an all-inclusive.

but i think it's to the point that we're enablers for his addiction to giving. he's going to keep getting himself in bad situations if we keep giving him the support. i mean, it's his money, yeah, but he is part of the reason why every time i go to a campo with my parents or other north americans, the hands get held out - because some dumb gringo came in and started handing things out and now these people think that's how things are supposed to be.

That is a good point LaTeacher. I don't think many of the "dumb gringos" that come in and start handing out things left and right are actually doing it for the people in the campo.

IMO when a person gets way to involved, way to quickly in the lives of people of a much lower economic standard and goes overboard to "help them because they are my friends" it isn't done for the poor - it gratifies some sort of need of the giver - to feel important, to boost self esteem, etc. I am not talking about those that volunteer with organizations or actually know a family for an extended period before offering to help or have married into the family. I am talking about someone that latches on to a poor family and feels that they must immediately "help" them in major ways because they are such "close friends".

*disclaimer - I am not saying this description fits amstellite - I don't know enough about the OP to make this my opinion of him - I am merely responding to LaTeacher's post.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I think people should feel good about giving. I think for some it can be all of those things you mention, and if that is what they need then everyones a winner, aren't they?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Yes everyone is a winner as long as people aren't being used and I have a vague memory of the OP being quite upset and in a bad situation with being so generous to his "friends" that it was starting to effect the quality of life for the OP.

But I totally agree as long as respect is on both sides and one side isn't just viewed as a "meal ticket".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Which is why he is in Villa Gonzalez and far removed from the outskirts of "Santa Dominga"....La Caleta if memory serves...he is obviously a very caring person who must ooze generosity! Heck, good for him..as long as he is not sucked in again...

HB

May 29, 2006
I think these are a great idea for retro-fitting the campo outhouses. $20 on Amazon:

41O9UaiOc2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Reliance Products Luggable Loo Portable 5 Gallon Toilet: Sports & Outdoors

You could just bring the seat that snaps onto a standard five gallon bucket. When you get to the site, have someone cut a hole out of some plywood(which may be hard to scrounge) to set a bucket into, screw it into the plywood and cut the bottom out. Then either replace the existing plywood or cut a bigger hole for the bucket to fit into.

At the very least, you can bring your own toilet seat from the city. You'd have to screw it down into the wood then damage the heads so the seat would be harder to steal.

A proper toilet bowl wouldn't work until you have plumbing. They make drop toilets for trailers and boats with a vapor barrier, but in the DR, they would be either hard to find or very expensive.

There are several basic problems with how outhouses are built in the DR. They typically don't have any dranage to speak of, they are un-vented except for the drop hole, they are not built for the amount of use they get, and are often put on low ground. Because of this, many flood in the rainy seasons so that you get a puddle of raw sewage around them that you have walk through in order to use and then people resort to using the bushes until the water goes down.

If you really want to go all the way, building a sanitary outhouse is a fairly big project esp if you have to bring your own shovel to get it done. There are online sites on how to build them. You would need 60-100 standard cinder blocks for the dry well, a couple cubic yards of gravel, perforated leech-field pipe, a dozen or so bags of concrete, and some re-bar before you built the outhouse on top of everything. For 15 people, you don't want to under-engineer it.

Most importantly, you need someone who understands that water or sewage does not flow uphill. This is harder than it sounds.

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
I totally agree Hillbilly. I hope we don't see some "why am I treated this way, what can I do about it?" posts from him in the future about his new relationships. I hope that it all works out well for everyone.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Somewhat tongue in cheek and wondering if maybe the Clown Bin might be a better place but this seems to be one solution for the women folk.. This is for real!!

Urinelle

HB

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Some people "hoard" cats,some dogs,some "people"!
They need to make "something" dependent upon them,it feeds their ego.
Just as some people need "Drama" in their lives to be "happy",even if it is by seeking relationships with one loser after another, some "Hoard"!
They post their "Woa Is Me Stories",about how they were so generous and good to someone,and were taken advantage of in return.Then,we are supposed to dry their tears,and tell them what a wonderful person they are for trying!
Then they repeat the process.
It's not about "Helping The Poor","Feeding The Hungry","Healing The Sick",or "Clothing The Naked",it's about bolstering their low self-esteme.
Now,I say "So What"?
As has been pointed out already,"Everyone Is A Winner" here!
Those who need some help,weather they deseve it or not,get some help.
And those who need an "Ego Boost" get that too.
I just don't want to be taken in by either group,for their own benefit!
CC

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
aarrrgg don't know why it put both - I only clicked on liked ......... oh well this helps get my post count up explaining.. ;)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Somewhat tongue in cheek and wondering if maybe the Clown Bin might be a better place but this seems to be one solution for the women folk.. This is for real!!

Urinelle

HB

It is a great idea ! At the sight of some public bathrooms, I wished many times that I had a d*ck so that I could keep a safe distance :)

On a serious note, I think some of these things are used for some female patients after some surgery when they can't squat/bend.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
On a serious note, I think some of these things are used for some female patients after some surgery when they can't squat/bend.

Man, what you don't learn around here! I was actually wondering why there were disposable ones, I've seen the ones lady truckers use but those are plastic. The variety of peeing poses certainly increases with the time spend in the DR, doesn't it?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i don't think that giving is bad - but there are ways to give that don't create dependency on the giver. and we've all read amstellite's stories in the past. and if i recall correctly, this is exactly how it happened. the guy "needed" a fridge or something (maybe a bed) becuase it made Amstellite uncomfortable to see how they lived. not because they were unhappy or even knowingly living "poorly." and in the end, both lost. amstellite lost his "friendship" and the people he loved to support and who made him feel good about himself , and the family now (supposedly) is broken up and probably wondering why they can't get more and more.

giving is excellent. but not when you do it out of guilt and wanting to make yourself feel better.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Exactly!!!! I will be able to use it when there.. I have my own room in the house, they give me a big bowl of lukewarm water every day to wash in and feed me breakfast, dinner and cena and do my laundry.... they try their best to give back .. I buy the food, the beer and bring them all kinds of goodies from the states,,,,so it works out well. and then I leave them some money when I leave to cover the service... it still costs a bit but I love it and I love being a part of the family and not staying in some strange hotel alone... the toilet I intend to install, or improve will be able to benefit all..and will save numerous trips to Chitos where they have a bathroom with flushing water and paper..everyone benefits... the money I save on hotel bills goes to the family and they benefit.....
I think it is lovely what you propose to do, i wish more people would, but the reality is most (not all) expats keep themselves out of shanty living, see it from a moving car, read about it online or in a paper, and then profess knowledge of how it is. The truth is it is great fun, I've never felt sorry for anyone as they always seem happier than I am, so something is right with the situation, and I think it is community and family that keeps spirits up. I love spending time in campo, I don't mind the no doors and no privacy thing, it's all willies and boobies in the morning when we visit the in-laws and everyone is helping each other with the bucket of water for the shower out back. Like you I'm not so much into people talking to me face to face while I'm on the crapper, hence the new bathroom, lol.
Go for it buddy, it's worth it even if only for your next visit.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I know what you mean.... the money would never turn into what I have in mind... I go back in April so I will get the blocks or whatever myself and get someone to knock it all together the week I am trhere to watch... thanks for the pointer....
If you are going to be visiting on a regular basis for extended periods of time and this is what you would like to do to make your visits more enjoyable for yourself as well as upgrade their property overall - go ahead it is your money. But if you just leave the money and say you want it spent on building a new bathroom you will never see the new bathroom completed. This will have to be very hands on for you - and if you are only going there a few times a year you must decide if it is worth it to you or not.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
when did everyone become psychologists??ok Chris cross, I take the bait you are obviously sticking right in my face.... what is wrong with trying to help when you see people obviously need it. I see how they live,,, I live with them in their house... I see when the pantry is empty or is it all a set up always and all Dominicans just out to get me and abuse me... ?? well I dont beleive it, I am going in with my eyes open. and if it gives me satisfaction to help some kids with baseball , or clothes, or a new toilet, I will take the risk. I am not as cynical as some who think it is all a plot.. and as far as my ego goes, and do I love the attention.. sure , who wouldn t, I d be a liar to say I didn t feel special when i am out and about in the town,,, but the urge to help come from a real desire to make the lives of just a few people more liveable....and with less pain... you make my attempts sound like a crime
Some people "hoard" cats,some dogs,some "people"!
They need to make "something" dependent upon them,it feeds their ego.
Just as some people need "Drama" in their lives to be "happy",even if it is by seeking relationships with one loser after another, some "Hoard"!
They post their "Woa Is Me Stories",about how they were so generous and good to someone,and were taken advantage of in return.Then,we are supposed to dry their tears,and tell them what a wonderful person they are for trying!
Then they repeat the process.
It's not about "Helping The Poor","Feeding The Hungry","Healing The Sick",or "Clothing The Naked",it's about bolstering their low self-esteme.
Now,I say "So What"?
As has been pointed out already,"Everyone Is A Winner" here!
Those who need some help,weather they deseve it or not,get some help.
And those who need an "Ego Boost" get that too.
I just don't want to be taken in by either group,for their own benefit!
CC

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I've been over this before with people on here about those from Campo. I find it a bit offensive how everyone claims to knwo my entire family and that they are about as they are from Campo.

You have to laugh it off though as it is a contradiction in itself. If the people are so greedy and poor and all the same in intention and desperation then why do these ex pats live in the country, so they can feel big and special when they walk through town because they have more than everyone else?

Typical gobsh1te comments are something like;
'I've got a RD7,000 electricity bill', 'I spent RD50,000 this month on shopping',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 'I know what life is like in Campo, I know what these families are like, how they live'!!. Bollox do you, you know what you think, but you know sod all in the reality of things, purely on the basis people can generalize on everyone from campo as being a certain way makes this absolutely clear they know very little and have spent very little time in real living terms. A trip to the river and a beer at a distant friends house before getting back to your own life does not count as experience in campo living. I'm not saying everyone is like this, but those that are seem to know the most about what they have little experience, amazing.
Just my observations and not everyone is as.

May 29, 2006

Urinelle

HB

I know they made a reusable version of that but I don't know the name offhand. Maybe something like that could be fashioned out of a water or soda bottle?