Battery Bank

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We're talking about the Rolls now...

I said before-
I use about 125 amps a night - 2 people
We recharge at 8 to 9pm... at least an hour... and again - 8-9am to kickstart the morning

Example
last night before the planta... my volts were23.73 ... everything running
the morning reading was 24.13... a bit lower than normal which is 24.30/5

I used 81 amps - one person - bed at 9:30

Planta ran for just over an hour last night.
I try to never let things get too low

I think I'll try the 6V for few years and see if the technological world helps me out

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The 2V versions like those from Rolls are monsters. Expensive, heavy and long lasting.

5 to 6 years is more than most will ever get out of deep cycle batteries, but much of that depends upon how many times and how deeply they are discharged. It is all about trade offs of cost, battery bank size and technology.

A lithium on Power Wall from Tesla, perhaps?

Settled on the ROLLS S-550 --- 8 of them @ 22,000 pesos each
US price is $100US less... but we have shipping and taxes... so actually a pretty good price - IMO

Trace in Sto Dom has a recent shipment
should be a pickup early next week

Thanks for the help

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
WW - that will work OK - These are Glass Matt construction so you might want to look at the setting on the charge controllers- IF they are set to gel rather than Glass Matt then you could shorten their life. From what you are saying you have a 24 Volt system so two banks of four ! Gives you about 1100 Amp hours Capacity.

Sounds good

Olly

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Great choice! You will need a cart or dolly to move them , they are over 100lbs each :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, Olly... I'll remind my installer

and Yes again GreatLife... sending my truck man early next week
I was warned they're BIG !!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, Olly... I'll remind my installer

and Yes again GreatLife... sending my truck man early next week
I was warned they're BIG !!

And those are not even the BIG ones from ROLLS. They should last a while with the proper settings and if not discharged too deeply and frequently.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Ooh battery peeps! Can anyone give me a very general order of magnitude price for an off-the-grid solar system for our house in Santo Domingo? We are 1 bedroom, 2 people, no AC, all LED lights and Energy Star appliances. We've been thinking about going this way but I don't honestly know if I'm looking at $10K or $50K US.
thanks!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not as easy a question as I expect you're hoping for.

There are several suppliers in Sto Dom these days...
ask a couple of them
They'll run you through your usage...
That determines the number of panels and batteries...

Batteries are your cost... panels have become reasonable recently (last 8 yrs or so)
A generator to cover off cloudy days is another consideration

It's not electricity savings... outages and surges can kill laptops, appliances whatever
Steady power is a plus

Best of luck

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Not to cause a ruckus, but I mix old and new batteries. I have a 20-battery bank of 6V Trojans. The black ones cost about 5500 or 6000 usually. They are stamped with a date mark on the negative terminal - letters A-L corresponding to months 1-12 followed by the last digit of the year. This is a "new" date, but sometimes you see batteries in the store with the NEXT month's stamp; so it is not the manufacture date. There is also a date stamped on the BOTTOM of the battery case, they say, but in 20 years of buying 6V Trojan batteries, I have never once looked(!) if you want to see that, get a mirror! I won't buy batteries more than a month old - but that is getting harder to find as more of the country gets 24 hour power and inverter use slowly declines.

So: the old batteries have some sulfation on the plates. That means they have lowered storage capacity. If there is a new battery in the bank, it cannot charge to full capacity as easily because the batteries around it reach their "full" voltage with less stored wattage - the charging current is lower due to those full batteries, and the newer battery charges very slowly (but it is still charging). When the batteries discharge, the older batteries drop voltage earlier and cause the new battery to have to do more work and discharge deeper. The next time it recharges it has the same problem again with slower charging once the others are full.

The first time this "change all batteries together" policy collided with reality was about a year after I installed the bank. One battery lost one cell. I measure the specific gravity of each cell each 60 days and top off water. Back then, I was also monitoring the daily recharge pretty closely, and the day I lost the cell, I saw the bank stop reaching full charge for no obvious reason other than a battery problem. Was this a 6000 peso problem or a 120,000 peso problem? I decided I could live with a little suffering on the part of the one new replacement battery if it kept the other 19 operational.

Once you go down the road of mixing batteries, it is not easy to see a way back to "purity". From time to time, I replace a battery when a cell goes bad. I alway try to revive the battery first with a few zaps of 12V and boiling (theory being that a bad cell arises from material bridging between positive and negative plates and shorting the cell - vigorous gassing in the cell may dislodge the bridge material). If this works, the three cells of the zapped battery approach the same specific gravity within a couple of days - and that has happened a couple of times. One such "saved" battery has continued to serve normally for four years since the zapping. But usually it doesn't help. So I have some newish batteries and some oldish batteries. If I wanted to become pure I would get rid of the oldish batteries with little pain, but the newish ones would laugh at me as they departed - (see ya', sucker!).

Well, my 20 batteries are keeping the lights on: We use an average of 6kWh daily from a 2400W solar array. Most of the power usage is spread out over 24 hours - not concentrated in daylight hours: refrigeration, freezing, and water recirculation in a gray-water system. We don't change usage when it is cloudy - which is not an uncommon situation here in the mountains. If the power goes low after three days of cloud cover, we have a 5kW propane fired generator to make up the difference. That generator runs about 30 hours per year on average.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, replacing the battery bank is a tough decision....monetarily

I’m still on the old ones .. no installation yet.

Had a scare today... generator had hiccups
Change the oil, refill the radiator...all done in 2 hours...solved

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yes, replacing the battery bank is a tough decision....monetarily

I’m still on the old ones .. no installation yet.

Had a scare today... generator had hiccups
Change the oil, refill the radiator...all done in 2 hours...solved

Get some Bestline Diesel fuel and oil treatment for that generator William

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I use Interstate batteries with my inverter and am pretty happy with them.

I have a battery charger with the 'reconditioning' option and use it every year or so. Seems to keep them in really good shape.

WW, as far as generator hours are concerned, I'm guessing you do maintenance religiously. Keeping oil changed regularly is the best way for them to last for what seems like forever.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have a radiator rebuild, and a circuit board replacement.... 10 yrs of service now.

Oil changes and coolant checks....7.5KW planta

works 2-3 hrs a day

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We have a radiator rebuild, and a circuit board replacement.... 10 yrs of service now.

Oil changes and coolant checks....7.5KW planta

works 2-3 hrs a day

I'm shopping around for a planta now. I'm leaning towards a Honda super silent 3000K inverter generator.

For long time outages, I'd use it occasionally for an hour or so to recharge batteries via the inverter while the fridge gets cold again, and the rest of the time would be just the inverter.

I'd love to find a Denyo super silent 12k , but they're like hens teeth these days and expensive when you find one.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm shopping around for a planta now. I'm leaning towards a Honda super silent 3000K inverter generator.

For long time outages, I'd use it occasionally for an hour or so to recharge batteries via the inverter while the fridge gets cold again, and the rest of the time would be just the inverter.

I'd love to find a Denyo super silent 12k , but they're like hens teeth these days and expensive when you find one.

I know someone with an 8 kw Generac that just needs a small part. Just sayin......... :)