Beach Fish Market

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think the fish should have had the time to become an adult :ermm:

My husband says this all the time - he hates seeing a guy walking with a bunch of undersized fish for sale. He also sees fish varieties for sale that he says no one even ate in the past.

As far as fish being sold along the southern beaches, if you didn't see the fisherman come out of the water with it, it probably wasn't even caught there. My husband's cousin sells fish - he buys all of them out in Pedernales. At one point he owned several small fishing boats of his own working out there. He has a small refrigerated truck, goes out there, and on the way back to the capital he sells tons of fish and shellfish to all the little beach restaurants along the way. Many of the guys with "fresh caught" whole fish displayed/hanging along the beach came from him, or someone else like him.

The only thing I've seen coming out of the waters of the beaches of San Cristobal province are langostinos, and some small, not very tasty little fish. The entire area has been overfished, if you take the little ones there is nothing left to reproduce.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Definitely not Tilapia, and I say no to Snapper, unless its a slang name given to a certain species of fish in the DR. Note the shape of the mouth and size of the scales. I've caught a ton of all types of snapper, and this don't favor any of them. My vote is for something in the Parrotfish family.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Los Guineos

Since the date referenced in my original post I had not encountered fishermen on the beach until yesterday. A little after 6PM 2 harpoon-toting, diving lamp-dangling, wet suit-wearing divers passed by on the beach with no fish. I was caught reconciling that maybe they had already sold their catch further up the beach until they got out of reach. Shortly thereafter, however, a solitary, similarly garbed fisherman passed in front. I ran him down. I asked why no fish? Why hadn't I seen fishermen for so long? He replied by asking, were they day or night fishermen? Excuse my ignorance for not knowing the fishermen had shifts :surprised. He enlightened me. All, of course, was practical.

He explained that they begin snorkeling/diving from El Cortecito (that’s where he was heading) a little after dusk when the fish come closer to the shore, many to sleep, and so, easier to catch. From this beginning they ride the currents, diving, harpooning, and securing their catches all the way to Los Guineos beach. There they bring their catch in at around midnight, a total of around 5 hours in the water. He told me if I wanted to buy that I should be there at that time. Needless to say, I got there an hour early with a small cooler w/ice and a machete in tow.

The machete????????, one never knows what lurks behind those palm trees, hotel beach equipment, or in the shallow waters in the dead of night. It did come in handy fending off the dogs. In addition to the Los Guineos dogs, I met the Los Guineos security guard who fortunately helped control the many dogs. He took me into the market place that was closed and desolate at that time of day/night. Los Guineos is typical of beach front artesan markets that cater to tourists, similar to, and north of, El Cortecito. It was dark and my senses were on high when the guard took me to a white p/u truck where he introduced me to Fello (Feyo), the vehicle owner, former fisherman, and middleman/point person for the fishermen. The back of the truck was filled w/coolers for stowing the catches after they came to shore.

Fello, the security guard, and I began talking. In a short time it seemed we talked about everything under that starry night sky. We figured out that the reason the market is called Los Guineos is that the workers there all have to wear yellow, and that in another area where workers wear green it is called Las Cotorras. We talked about how the northern and southern air currents interact with each other in that area and how these affect fishing, which under good enough conditions occurs nightly (even on Sundays and holidays). Then, like clockwork, he tells me that the 3 fishermen that had set off to El Cortecito earlier in the day were about to come to shore there in Los Guineos, and that we should head to the shore to meet them.

Once there Fello started peering out into the water like a hawk and with same visual acuity. Except for some whitewater surf in the distance, I couldn’t see diddly. Almost immediately he says there they come, and asks if I I could see their lights in the distance. I still could not see but then I began to distinguish first one light and then all three dive lamps from the white surf. I confirmed these because they would go on and off intermittently, perhaps to save battery, or perhaps to keep from startling the fish. As the lighting got closer to shore I likened the night vision of these on and off illuminations as akin to lightening bug and/or Xmas phenomena.

The men came ashore with loads and helped fill my cooler. They explained that the red fish we were trying to identify in previous exchanges on this thread they call butu. The fish caught, many shellfish included, all seemed large. I’ll be sharing all, stories included w/friends and neighbors and hopefully gain some cooking recipes, techniques, and stories of their own in return. My own was one of a rich evening filled w/excitement, socialization, culture, learning, and etc. It was a total experience I won’t easily forget. Despite its lengthy account herein, I wanted to share it with you, if not some of the catch.

Note: In anticipation of the customary warnings about fishing code and restrictions, I preempt w/that these were local fishermen within a fishing community and economy; that they fish to make a living and support their families; that I don’t have a problem buying from them and so you shouldn’t have a problem w/me buying from them either; and finally, that there seemed to be plenty of fish in those waters, and that, as stated in the previous, the catch was of very large fish.

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
Been fishing and scuba diving my whole life and that doesn't look like any snapper that I have ever seen. I'm going with Parrotfish because of the mouth.

May 29, 2006
Not a parrotfish.

dnc9hd.jpg

Islanddave

Sep 3, 2011
Well that picture of a Parrotfish looks a lot like the fish he bought. Parrotfish come in many different colors. Look at the mouth.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
Well that picture of a Parrotfish looks a lot like the fish he bought. Parrotfish come in many different colors. Look at the mouth.
Especially when they are descaled! Just by looking at the mouth you clearly see that it is some kind of parrot fish.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
Yes it is a parrotfish. I teach diving in this area and see them daily there are different types of parrotfish... And as the fisherman told him it was butu which is what dominicans call parrotfish.... 2nd the guy with the weird "fishing pole"? Its a metal detector nothing to do with fishing... 3rd in bavqro it is WAY overfished.... the population is going down daily cause these fisherman catch even the smallest fish....

May 29, 2006
Parrotfish are nice to bake. They have a flat single bone in the body and when they are fully cooked, you pull the bone out and flip it apart skin side down.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
And where on the island is Los guineos?
Thanks
Der Fish

About a 45 min. beach walk N from Cortecito Beach. What, no comments about my metal detecting snorkeling treasure hunter? He said he had just found two gold rings. Whaaaaaat.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
2nd the guy with the weird "fishing pole"? Its a metal detector nothing to do with fishing....

#1 Do you have anything to do w/El Pelicano? #2 I know it's a detector. How do they use it in the water? #3 What is that shellfish in post 38?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I just saw this thread. I don't know if you got this resolved yet, but it's definitely Parrot fish. Mido named it first. He was right on the money.

It's been de-scaled, so i guess that's why its throwing people off. I have lots of pictures and videos of parrot fish.

Go to the 5:24 mark of this video for a look at Parrot fish after its been de-scaled (I bought the fish and de-scaled it):

[video=youtube;ZdBCNcgMCSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdBCNcgMCSk&feature=share&list=UUwqGtCbKPC0n50nraMPtNCA&index=1[/video]

Frank

Last edited: