Beach Fish Market

May 29, 2006
I believe this is the Swiss Army Knife Lobster:

23498_1360286484716_436588_n.jpg

It's a model of a long extinct critter...

May 29, 2006
What is the common name for the big crabs that have a body about the size and shape of a softball? Never been able to find it on the web. Something like 12" across with the legs spread out.

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
#1 Do you have anything to do w/El Pelicano? #2 I know it's a detector. How do they use it in the water? #3 What is that shellfish in post 38?

No dont work with Pelicano although i used to... work with Mariana... the metal detector depends the brand but most have headphones that you will hear the beep... of course they are special ones that are water proof... and the shellfish in the post 38 is a lobster.... Spanish lobster is the name of them

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What is the common name for the big crabs that have a body about the size and shape of a softball? Never been able to find it on the web. Something like 12" across with the legs spread out.

Peter, with a more concise description, I would probably be able to identify your creature. I am a crabologist, you see.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Peter, with a more concise description, I would probably be able to identify your creature. I am a crabologist, you see.

You too? I hold a degree in both Crustaceans and Malacostraca. Unbeknownst to me, I used to breed them. They breed like rabbits. Left to their own devices they will take over any environment. They're very territorial. Not to be trifled with!

Frank

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

Are you thinking of a horseshoe crap? They are round but much bigger than a soft ball.

drescape24

May 29, 2006
No a horseshoe crab isn't even technically a crab. The crabs I'm thinking of had bodies that were really just about round like a ball. The blood in horseshoe crabs is really valuable for research for some reason. A quart is worth $15,000!

OK I think I've ID'd it as a Channel Clinging Crab:

Apr2208_ChannelClingingCrab_095.jpg

Like I said, I've seen them close to shore, possibly in estuary water.

Last edited:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
No a horseshoe crab isn't even technically a crab. The crabs I'm thinking of had bodies that were really just about round like a ball. The blood in horseshoe crabs is really valuable for research for some reason. A quart is worth $15,000!

OK I think I've ID'd it as a Channel Clinging Crab:

Apr2208_ChannelClingingCrab_095.jpg

Like I said, I've seen them close to shore, possibly in estuary water.

Like I posted previously, it's amazing how crusties look so much like bugs, or is it the other way around?

Insects are crustaceans! ? Why Evolution Is True