Beauty and the beast

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
May I predict eternal hellfire for this thread if it remains in the realms of religious content, which always brings out the worst in DR1 posters and is not encouraged in this forum?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Coming back to Matilda's original post, I believe as so many have said, darkness and evil exist throughout the world but it seems to me that there are very strong extremes here....a lot of light and a lot of darkness, beauty and the beast.

With respect to "extremes", the DR is certainly much less "extreme" than the US, ie, we don't have people killing their co-workers or stealing children, raping them and then killing them on a weekly basis. As far as drug consumption the US wins that as well. Prostitution? It is found in any big city in the US.

I'm no fan of PP or any tourist area here but to say that somehow it is better in the US is not true.

MyBocaChica

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2010
With respect to "extremes", the DR is certainly much less "extreme" than the US, ie, we don't have people killing their co-workers or stealing children, raping them and then killing them on a weekly basis. As far as drug consumption the US wins that as well. Prostitution? It is found in any big city in the US.

I'm no fan of PP or any tourist area here but to say that somehow it is better in the US is not true.

In a large [population] developed, complex society such as the US, etc. one finds more cases of extremes of pathological behaviors. Product of the environment so-to-speak. In simple societies, such extreme cases of mental illness and/or socio-pathological behavior are fewer and more far between.

Just a retired truck driver's opinion.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Moving away from religious predictions (as I sit on top of Isobel de Torres with my brolly ;) ) there have in fact been scientific predictions based on historical data. In Sept 2008, Patrick Charles, former Professor at the Geological Institute of Havana stated that 'conditions are ripe for major seismic activity in Port-au-Prince'. The original article in French in Le Matin:
Bienvenue sur le www.LeMatinHaiti.com Le site Officiel du journal Le Matin

and the translation to English of 11th. October 2008 in HaitiXchange
HaitiXchange - Possibilty of Earthquake in Port-au-Prince?

This didn't come out of the blue. There is a body of knowledge about fault lines, built up energy etc etc.
HaitiXchange Teledj?l Forum | Possibilty of Earthquake in Port-au-Prince?

Is that secular enough to save us from eternal hellfire, Chirimoya? :cheeky:

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Religion not encouraged

May I predict eternal hellfire for this thread if it remains in the realms of religious content, which always brings out the worst in DR1 posters and is not encouraged in this forum?

I have been wondering how to respond to this and would just like to ask if this is an official policy of DR1 as a whole or just the view of this particular moderator.

If it is an official policy, should we not also be discouraging discussion of politics which also brings out the worst in people? Will that leave very much to talk about?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I have been wondering how to respond to this and would just like to ask if this is an official policy of DR1 as a whole or just the view of this particular moderator.

If it is an official policy, should we not also be discouraging discussion of politics which also brings out the worst in people? Will that leave very much to talk about?

so you think politics and religion cover all possible conversation topics? :ermm:
there is more to life than that...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is official DR policy, you can confirm with Robert if you wish.

But it is also my personal view. The notion that innocents will be zapped from up-high because of the sins of others is not just absurd but in very poor taste especially in the current context. My colleague who was crushed to death was a good, hard-working and for all I know deeply religious young man. Neither he, his wife or his 3 children did anything to deserve this fate.

May 29, 2006
The murders of the Mirabel Sisters was really the tipping point for the Trujillo regime. This was not some gratuitous violence against them because the were women. Trujillo tortured his opponents and most of them ended up being tossed off of cliffs where they were eaten by sharks. The fact that he had killed these women put the rest of the country against Trujillo and he was on his way out when he was gunned down.

To give you an idea of the respect for these women, there is a holiday in their honor on the day of their murder(end to violence against women) and they are now on the 2000 peso note. It is very appropriate that you made this post today, on Martin Luther King Day, because they are probably as respected amoung Dominicans as MLK is in the US and they both worked for the civil liberties of their people.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
It is official DR policy, you can confirm with Robert if you wish.

But it is also my personal view. The notion that innocents will be zapped from up-high because of the sins of others is not just absurd but in very poor taste especially in the current context. My colleague who was crushed to death was a good, hard-working and for all I know deeply religious young man. Neither he, his wife or his 3 children did anything to deserve this fate.

Thank you for the confirmation. I believe you, there is no need to confirm with Robert, but I was not aware of it. Maybe it is stated somewhere, in which case I missed it.

I am really sorry for your loss and for the Haitian people. This thread began before the Haitian tragedy and I am genuinely sorry that these two issues have become mixed.