before you hang with the newly rich dom-yorks, read this.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"Before You Hang With the newly Rich Dom-yorks, Read This"
name of the thread.

I am so relieved to read all this info, because I was about to do just that, go hang with some punk domi-yorks who had promosed me an unforgettable night in that oh-so sophisticated city of Santiago de los Caballeros.
Was actually quickly on my way, when, suddenly I read this thread on my Blackberry.
I had the driver stop my '09 Cayenne twin turbo, to just take a leak on the turistica on the way over, and immediately we did a 180 and came back to the north coast. Whew, thank god for technology, eh? as it could have been a disaster.
I can feel the 9mm against my neck; the fear, the adrenalin rush of gringo vs. the 'hood.
Man, you guys may have saved my life.
Thank you all so much.

LOL LOL, this was a good one.
The reason i wrote this is because we have many tourist guys (even a few dr1 members) who brag about having super dooper rich friends in DR, who take them out to fincas and get them high class hookers etc. They talk about drinking johnny walker blue label and cruising in their convertible BMWs etc.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Man, you should be an author. Great read I predict.:glasses:

One thing for sure. This guy has some good jokes. This is why he gets invited to so many gatherings. He not only plays a mean (what you call the instrument??) but he has a twisted sense of humor. very original. hahahaha
AZB

latka

Feb 13, 2009
I do not entirely agree with that because I?ve met old money who thought they had class and were scum. Have met nouveax riche with a lot of class.

Thank you for stating what was on my mind. Lots of generalizations being thrown around here. Could be indicative of ... ahem... lower class... thought processes.

For what it's worth, in my neck of the woods, in the States, I can tell you that many of the most ruthless, lethal, and long lived drug lords don't even drive. They pay people to do that for them, as well as picking up the laundry, driving their women home, and countless other duties they would rather not be bothered with. The most dangerous gangster is the one who looks like the average guy, talks like the average guy, and seems very friendly, at ease and possessed of a great deal of charisma.

Some of the most dangerous people I have known in life are indeed some of the nicest, and well behaved... as long as you are not on the wrong side of what they do for a living.

Then again, while an undergrad, I had the displeasure of meeting some of the most horrid, wretched, crooked assholes that were ever jettisoned from the most rancid of wombs. Many of them had so much money, and influence (USA, baby) that it allowed them to literally live outside of the constraints of the law. I am talking about people with real material wealth... people who trace their wealth back to the colonial days. Oddly enough, these Brooks Brothers suit wearing ne'er-do-wells are the ones that truly frighten me...

Last edited:

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Reading these threads for the past few months has been enlightening, to a degree.

First, it often confirms my suspicion that racism and classism is not confined to the U.S. Many ex-pats of European origin, at least of those that post here regularly, apparently harbor the same prejudices that I am often confronted with here at home.

Here, those people would often be referred to as "rednecks". I would refer to them as educationally disadvantaged.

Amazing how the rapier of terminology can be seized and turned, unbated and envenomed, against the one that wields it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reading these threads for the past few months has been enlightening, to a degree.

First, it often confirms my suspicion that racism and classism is not confined to the U.S. Many ex-pats of European origin, at least of those that post here regularly, apparently harbor the same prejudices that I am often confronted with here at home.

Classism is in all cultures and know no colour or race. Your statement above shows your bias.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I have seen quite a few guys from USA coming to DR and making friends with some newly rich dominican yorks or simply ghetto rich domincians who are spending insane amount of money on cars and building empty plazas, investing money on failed discos & bars. We have our fair share of these guys in santiago. They have brought huge sum of cash from usa and now don't know where to spend it. One guy drives a 1/2 million dollar car in santiago and owns various plazas and carwashes etc. I doubt if he is making money from any of his businesses in santiago. He owns a collection of fancy super expensive cars. If you meet him, you would be surprised to see, the guy's presence matches with a truck driver from the bronx. No education and rough appearance.
Another guy came (25 yrs old) who bought one of the most famous restaurants in santiago, failed in the beginning, then he ends up in jail in NY in a drug bust and now the place is running by his friend who bought the business and built it up differently. santiagueros know whom I am talking about. Then you have a guy who owns disco/bar where no one goes yet he drives a late model Hummer (the big one) and yet he is no more than 32 yrs old. He also looks like he is a high school dropout.
So where am i getting with all this:
these guys coming from dangerous backgrounds and are living the fast lives. Now all of the sudden they are dropping dead all around us. If you remember the young man from santiago who was in puerto plata to have a contract signed by a business man for building and installing some windows and doors on the newly built property. This was the day the business man was due a hit. The business man gets hit by the hitman and my friend from santiago goes down with him. Dead from the first bullet that hit him. bad luck? yes, being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong guy.
Now we heard the owner of a bar in santiago where stripper girls dance was killed on highway. Then some musician from a tipica band was killed. now last week the famous young man who managed an up & coming bachata / balada group was shot dead right in his home parking lot. Wow, I knew the guy well. Nice guy, young and rich. he was also the owner of a disco in santiago which closed down. now the same disco is re-opened and run by another young dom-york with lots of money.
The last case was a sad case as I knew this guy personally. He was a nice guy but god knows why he was hit. I hate to guess why but we all know what goes on in santiago among a certain group of individuals.
This is why I stay away from chevas regal drinking dominican yorks with fancy hummers and porches. They invite me to beach and lakes where they take hot girls and spend afternoons in jet skies. No way jose, i would never go with them anywhere. I simply meet and greet them and then walk away. that's all. I don't even feel comfortable hanging out with the guy who owns property by the lake in my previous pictures. he is a nice guy but his friends are very shady. One never knows what can happen to these people and if I am with them, I go down just as easily. these guys are being watched by others, including the police, FBI, interpol and DNI.
Do not confuses these people with the rich families in this country who are well educated and their wealth comes from generations. the dominican york rich are all ghetto looking and speak street english and barrio spanish. they love to act rich by going to tribecca bar in santiago, upper level. they order expensive liquor, take along fake blonds from barrios, dress in 1000 dollar suits with crocodile shoes etc. they are usually surrounded by other deportees and barrio tigres. These guys are nice and if you speak english, they love to take you as friends. many new foreign guys are so impressed by their gesture and generosity they jump at the first invitation they give you.
all I am saying is. be careful. these guys live a fast, but short lives.
AZB

Very important article, I hope that you have the same opinion for some local politicians and armed force generals whose own villas in Casa De Campo and live large. If you find out about their salary, there is not way that they could live such live style with their regular salary.

Many Dominicans see this happening under their nose and they prefer to stay shut. And please be aware that many of these generals and politicians are part of the elite Dominican class, no chopos from the barrios.

Do not get me wrong, I am not defending the Dominican York chopos, but the Politicians and many members from the armed forces have done more damage to the country than any of the Dominican York chopos. These corrupts and Politicians and generals have the power to influence the future of the country in a tremendous scale. Just my two cents

May 12, 2005
I really don't understand what all the fuss is about. AZB didn't write this to be a social science text. He wrote as a caution and a reminder to many who are new to Santiago and who are frequent visitors that not everyone or everything is at it seems. Keep your eyes open and use due care in with whom you associate before you find yourself in trouble.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Men I have been following alone for a while on the DL and not giving my opinon since i respect AZb and many others that I have had the pleasure fo meeting in person.
AZB your right many Dominican Yorks did made thier wealth o nthe bad ass stress of the Mtreoplitans areas o nthe North east. Now many many even more thant those druglords have made thier wealth by owning Bodegas, restaurants salons and many other small business in the US. Just because some one has made it big and has no educatio nto show for does nto make then a menace to society.
In fact most of the violence in my Home town of santiago does not come from this minority but instead from the social economical problems weh ave ...High unemployment rate, no education and no hope for the majority of my fellow santiagueros..
Please do be careful who you hang out with here and any where i nthe world.
I choose to live a simple life and keep to my friends that i have knowed for decades...Now does not mean I am no longer a Dominican York since I am Dominican and raise and educate in new york..
I take it personal when I read the term chopo, Dominican york etc.. just like i did when I was in the states and read the term Redneck,cracker,nigger,spick..etc...

Let me give you the reality of 8% of all dominicna yorks
They work like dogs in NYc and many other cities..live in very poor gethos and dont evne own a car i nthe states..Now when they come to DR for thew 15-21days they are hre they liek to be the kings of the Barrios..Drink Blue lable, drive land cruiser and have the biggest and most expesive house thye cna get...thisi s what drives them, gives thme the strenth to be all year roud in los barriso de los EEUU so one day they cna be kings of DR....
I do recomend you hanging out with these Domincna York so you cna understnad more about how Snatiaog has become the city that it is now....not with drug moeny but with moeny from Bodegas,Salons,Restaurnats, Auto parts, and many salary employees like Caregivers, Realtors ,and some profesionals that have decided to relocate to their mother land....
Just dare to investigate and dont judge a book by its cover...Everyone wnat to jump social clases some get the finacila means to do so but might not understand that is nto all about moeny....
Please DR1 dot not conrtibute to more socia land racial profiling in my country. I as your host country dont need it...
We Dominican do appreciate everything DR1 members do your our country but please lets be a little more careful how we express our self.
un abrazo and mucho love form a biggest chopo and dominca york in DR1 since i have a large collection of chacavanas and and hang out in barrios now and them, speak English and now and them drive a fnacy SUV..mucho love...

Reactions: Dragonfly32837

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Real class, couth, style has nothing to do with money, I do so agree. But I think what AZB was trying to point out was the difficulty new 'gringo' residents have in distinguishing between those newly arrived Dominicans who have money and no drug connections from those newly arrived Dominicans who have money AND drug connections. And that the latter group could bring added risks to survival if one is in their company when something goes down.

Is that more acceptable?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Real class, couth, style has nothing to do with money, I do so agree. But I think what AZB was trying to point out was the difficulty new 'gringo' residents have in distinguishing between those newly arrived Dominicans who have money and no drug connections from those newly arrived Dominicans who have money AND drug connections. And that the latter group could bring added risks to survival if one is in their company when something goes down.

Is that more acceptable?

those new gringos would be in the same risk to face the same problem at almost any country.
go to eastern european countries i.e. and look who is driving big cars there or drinks from the expensive bootles.
it would be the same hard to tell who made it with a drugdeal or a whorehouse on St Pauli or what ever and who just earned his money the right way and can afford to drive that car, drink that drink, pay that chic aso.
for a newcomer to a new country it will always be the same, everywhere.
and there's only one way to find out the differences:
go and meet people, within that crowd will be good ones and bad ones, sort them out by yourself and go the way which suits yourself.
that together is named lifeexperience.

AZB meant it good bringing up the theme,
but it can not be handled in a simple post/short thread,
it's too complex.
there are goof and bad people on both sides of the border of money/lifestyle,
and they all look to the outside "the same".
i agree to the writing of a above poster who stated "the most dangerous people are the bad guys who show an average education/average behavior/with a smile to your face" aso as long as you are not operating on the other side of their "business".

and we will run into people from both sides of that border in life, at least if we travel and come around, and such happens at all countries,
nothing of it has anything to do with any color or race or such, that's BS.

i completely agree with Chola's statement about the behavior to come nack home and show the poor neighbourhood where grown up that youe/me/he/someone has made it good and right, throwing the bucks around on such is the most normal thing on the planet,
so it is also done by the people who work extra shifts as cabby drivers in NYC and in addition to that an other job while living there under poorest conditions to save all the earned money to bring it home and fulfill the dream of opening a small business at home in the barrio one day.

and such is done in all cultures/countries/races.

it called simple "life".

even if the son of a rich man with lots of money from daddy leaves his hometown to run big business on his own, and makes the bucks, he sure will on his home visit arrive at the front door with a newer model of ferrari/more expensive watch aso than his brother who works still with rich daddy at home has, to show that he made it.

so that behavior has not even much to do with lower social classes, it is present everywhere.
we just can't see it from all classes,
we see it here on the streets, yes, b/c we are ourselves present here on the streets, it's obvious and seen on daily bases,
we could not see the Ferrari driving son showing his new expensive watch to his brother, because they would not meet to do so here on the street, they would do so in their "hood" or country club to which most of us have no access to watch such scenes.

but it happens in all social classes and all countries.

it's named LIFE.

Mike

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I find it disturbing that everything has to be written in boilerplate language for posters to understand what is being articulated.

What disturbs me more, moreso than someone's lack of class, is someones's lack of reading comprehension skills.

Cultural nuances are different and vary from country to country. Rogues will not always make themselves known by their class or lack thereof, but we in this particular thread are talking about Dominican drug dealers who have made their fortunes on the streets of NYC.

This type of cat will differ greatly from the type who, using Eastern Europe as an example, has ties to the funeral home scandals of Poland or the female sex trafficking rings that emanate from The Ukraine.

If it is really so difficult for some people to size up what type of company they are amongst, or really have no clue what AZB is talking about, I suggest you not leave your house without adult supervision. You will wind up getting hurt otherwise.

Last edited:

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
AZB..please dotn take this following state personal.
To all new commers to this and any new country. Ask your self why you move fro myour homeland and are willign to call a foriengh 3rdworld country home?
Now ask your self the same question about the people around you... Santiago is a very complex city in a midle of the large agruculte part of the island so many of this Drugdealers that AZB are refferign to are real. The fact of the matter that they show off is just tot impress and yes it might be dangours to hang out with thme if your not lookign for extra exitment..
Now it might be fun to do this for some people..ask your self am i one of those that are attracktive to danger.
What is said by AZb evne if I dont like his choise of steriotype fits the bills of many of the low life drug dealer..Now the majority of the real bad asss drug dealers that made it big in NYC streets are 50year old men the made it during the high day os the 80's and are now the lords of santiago ..many of you that bought home here might have bought it fro mtheir realstate companies.. many of us that buy cars ..same thign.. is just the reality...
Santiaog could be a safe and pelasent place as long as you play your roll in society and stick to what you would have done back home....

lets jsut not put all dominicna yorks i nthe same boat as drugdelares..even dough as others might suggest the big suv, expesive wishkie nad fefitla la grnade look might give a wrong impresion......
I remember every summer as a kid I was sent over from the Bronx to visit my grandmother and Aunt in las Colinas and I was nto allow to get the same hair cut i was use to gettign in the states cuz this is a very conservative country i was told and police will point you out if you look like a tigre....thign have not change.. i you drive around looking like you have all this money nad you can show how you made it people will assume you for mthye streets of NY...lol thing never change...
Perro que ladra no muerde...............

Reactions: MikeFisher

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
I hope this thread does not become a racial or stereotype war... We have all done some name callign in thee past.. I dont belive AZB intend to insult any one ..just that i prefer not to use blanket statement.. you know be a litte PC about...
and for the recors some ofthe cellshops,nightclub owners and car dealers owners that where mention have been in legitimate business for over 15 years

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
Cobra Boy...I was here in Miami during that stuff and saw the $$$ being thrown around in the nite clubs.......I have only been a frequent visitor of POP ...Santa Domingo and mostly Sosua....I haven't seen the stuff I saw w/ the cocaine cowboys that ran Miami in the DR. But I know many criminals are being deported from the states and maybe they want an easy buck....seems to me though that the DR gov has a pretty good watch on those idiot criminals.....

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Last edited by a moderator:

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
I really did not get the impression the AZB was talking about race or in a negative sense about the Dominican culture. Many people confuse issues of class with issues of race. I have been in law enforcement for 21 years and have a great deal of experience in the trenches. I get tired of people living in their ivory towers thinking they know about what goes on in the streets. There is virtually no difference between poor white trash in a trailer park and black people in the "hood" except for skin color. There is a whole other culture in the lower socioeconomic classes. Criminal role models. single parent households, teenage pregnancy, and a disdain for education. People make all kinds of excuses for behavior which reinforces the negative behaviors of this class. There is also a lack of respect for human life in this culture. Young people shooting each other over a certain color of clothing or a few city blocks of "territory". These people also live a fast and flashy lifestyle. They imitate the rap artists they see on television. Gaudy jewelry, gaudy automobiles, expensive cloths, and drug use. If you hang around these people you may end up locked up with them or sharing a slab in the morgue. AZB was just issuing a warning. The lower class culture is an attitude and has nothing to do with income.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There is virtually no difference between poor white trash in a trailer park and black people in the "hood" except for skin color.

There is a whole other culture in the lower socioeconomic classes. Criminal role models.

Single parent households, teenage pregnancy, and a disdain for education.

People make all kinds of excuses for behavior which reinforces the negative behaviors of this class.

There is also a lack of respect for human life in this culture. Young people shooting each other over a certain color of clothing or a few city blocks of "territory".

These people also live a fast and flashy lifestyle. They imitate the rap artists they see on television. Gaudy jewelry, gaudy automobiles, expensive cloths, and drug use.

If you hang around these people you may end up locked up with them or sharing a slab in the morgue.

AZB was just issuing a warning. The lower class culture is an attitude and has nothing to do with income.

I was going to object to the direction this thread was taking until I read this post.

I am now glad it took the turn it did, because this post is as objective and concise an analysis on ghetto culture as I've ever read.

Thank you blkronin, for your excellent post.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Believe it or not, we mods do have a life. :)

Now I'm going to ask all you kind posters to get back to the topic while I decide what to do with all the wayward posts.

Thank you.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
Yeah, what Chiri said!

There was a guy that used to rob people blind in Azua, went by the nickname "Vla" and was the head of a crew called "Los Zayayines" out there. Anywho, this guy was involved in robbery, drug trafficking and all sorts of illegal activities and was also well known for escaping from the Police. The thing is, months ago, he was on the North Coast, in Cabarete, taking a short vacation from all the malarkey and debauchery he normally took part of down in Azua, hanging out with a young white female tourist at a bar (I think she was Canadian), when a guy came up to him and shot him in the head, shot the girl as well and ordered a drink from the bar. I kid you not, the killer ordered a beer and left as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Man it is interesting what you find out when you know people out there, it's like a really bad action movie with a twisted ending.

Long story short, if you come down on vacation, avoid the flashy, loudmouth types. I won't lie, when I go down there on vacation, I might partake in the occasional beer at a colmado or even hanging out at Drinks 2 Go on Tiradentes Street, but that's not the norm for me and don't want to be around the psychos that love to attract attention and "floss" all day and all night. Now they have Bentleys, Ferraris and Porsches......or the trend from earlier this year, buying Chevy Tahoes and GMC Yukons, it's like America took over.

P.S: I didn't know AZB had become a white man, I thought he was a black chiropractor from Pakistan who had picked the young PUCMM ladies tree :cheeky: lol

I know a few of them too!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Clean-up complete. I tried to restrict deletions to the more off-topic and combative posts and the responses that they provoked. I'll be watching more closely and hope everyone can keep to the topic from now on.