before you hang with the newly rich dom-yorks, read this.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Yeah, what Chiri said!

There was a guy that used to rob people blind in Azua, went by the nickname "Vla" and was the head of a crew called "Los Zayayines" out there. Anywho, this guy was involved in robbery, drug trafficking and all sorts of illegal activities and was also well known for escaping from the Police. The thing is, months ago, he was on the North Coast, in Cabarete, taking a short vacation from all the malarkey and debauchery he normally took part of down in Azua, hanging out with a young white female tourist at a bar (I think she was Canadian), when a guy came up to him and shot him in the head, shot the girl as well and ordered a drink from the bar. I kid you not, the killer ordered a beer and left as if it was the most normal thing in the world. Man it is interesting what you find out when you know people out there, it's like a really bad action movie with a twisted ending.

I didn't knew they killed "Vla".

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I only have experience with newly rich from many years back when I taught English to the children of new Russian bankers and business owners. That is how I actually saved enough money for my ticket to the US.:) All I can say is wealthy does not mean happy and fulfilled in life. I could judge from their kids. Kids from well established, educated, good families were fast learners, happy and did really well in everything they started. I still keep in touch with some of them. Kids from wealthy, but troubled families did not do so well in school. Their parents could only pay the teachers, but could not help the kids to actually study. Kids were too spoiled and distracted to concentrate and learn. :( Wealth only means something to a person who worked hard for it and deserves it. Otherwise it is some kind of circus.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I didn't knew they killed "Vla".

Me neither. He was sentenced to 30 years for Juan Andujar's murder (the journalist) in May 2007
La Rep?blica - Condenan a 30 a?os de c?rcel a Vladimir Pujols

Appeal was heard in October 2007 & original sentence was confirmed
La Rep?blica - Confirman condena de 30 a?os contra asesino del periodista Juan And?jar

If he was killed in Cabarete with a foreign girlfriend, there was nothing in the papers. Doesn't mean it didn't happen of course. Jon S. were you in the bar when it happened or did you hear about it?

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Clean-up complete. I tried to restrict deletions to the more off-topic and combative posts and the responses that they provoked. I'll be watching more closely and hope everyone can keep to the topic from now on.

Apparently, a.k.a., "stuff you don't agree with." No worries. I've made my last post here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Apparently, a.k.a., "stuff you don't agree with." No worries. I've made my last post here.

Not 'stuff the Mod. didn't agree with' but stuff which was off topic. A number of posters had posts deleted, me included, & we totally understand why. Chiri made it very clear. You didn't see anyone else complaining, did you?

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Advise to newcomers to Santiago
since AZB gave his sound advise I have seen many young foreigners around the city hanging out with young and flashing individuals( apparently they have nto read this thread)
If we are to have a campaign of caution lets also try to reach out the college students that are in PCMM are and dont have much cash to spend and like to have fund..
You we where all young and naive once and might be not have the experience to now better . .that cahs is hard to come by and people who trough it out the window minht not respect it or have go it the the easy way...

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is a new example today:
I know a guy who was 25 yrs old when he came to see me 7 yrs ago in my office. back pain. He was only 25 yrs old then, spoke good english (living in NY). owned a business in dominican republic which made no money. He wore a $ 25,000 dollars rolex presidential edition watch with 26 plus diamonds. I guess the watch was custom made. he carried a stack of red bills in his pocket. he invited me to come and hang with him, ride his jet skies and cruise around in his boats. I was tempted many times but I knew who this guy was. i stayed away from him.
Today i get a call from him. From prison. he is in jail on drug charges and needs a letter from me regarding his spinal condition. he wants to get out of jail based on his deteriorating health condition. he was picked up in a party thrown by his friends. many got picked up in the party.
So just imagine, if some innocent guy was there in the wrong time at the wrong place? i would hate to imagine what he would be going through right now.
AZB