Best place to rent a car

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
mozart said:
We're headed to the DR on July 22nd and will be renting a car. We are thinking of taking a bus to Barahona but I'm reconsidering. Is Nelly better than National and some of the other chains - Dollar, etc.?
Appreciate the information! We may need to rent in Santo Domingo.
Kathleen

i've heard NELLY is sort of expensive. I have used alamo at the airport and have found their prices to be competitive.
You can search for prices at alamo.com website and use
YQ in the RATE/PRODUCT CODE to get discount.

good luck

jayvon30

Jun 1, 2005
I just returned from DR and we rented a mini van from Avis at the airport in Santo Domingo. They were very nice and we got a decent rate ($80 a day).

mozart

Jun 26, 2005
Car Rental

jayvon30 said:
I just returned from DR and we rented a mini van from Avis at the airport in Santo Domingo. They were very nice and we got a decent rate ($80 a day).
Thanks. I guess we're going to take a bus to Barahona and try our luck there.
Thanks for the information.
Kathleen

heavennsangel

Mar 15, 2005
hi

Golfer said:
But not the cheapest by far. I would name what I consider better agencies but it would violate the rules of the thread.

Hey maybe you could help me with finding a rental place in sdq.I need a rental for a week at the end of August.Thanks :)

hausa

Sep 12, 2005
I've rented from Nelly in SD in the past. No problems at all. It's been a few years, but I always got cheaper rates by renting at one of the branches in the city than the one at the airport. It actually cost less to take a taxi or get a ride into the city and arrange the rental in the city (rather than at the airport) then to turn the car in at the airport at the end of the rental period.

moviemouth

Jul 12, 2005
Universal Is Tops w Me Too

la_barbie said:
I've always booked with Universal Car Rental in Cabarete.... Always email the girl that works there a couple of weeks before I get there and drop off the car at POP airport and the paperwork takes less than 5 mins and i'm off... everytime i rent from them it gets cheaper and cheaper... cause I refer a lot of people to them and she always knocks the price down... This time i'm going for close to a week and a half and paying $310 USD with insurance and everything for a Honda CRV... there are places that i bet are much cheaper but I feel really comfortable booking with them.

Just returned from 12 days on the North Coast starting with the 3 hr drive to Las Terrenas and return. Universal delivered the car to POP on time as prearranged. No hassles, no problems, with the car for the whole trip. The young lady working in the Cabarete office is Dairy Veras. Just shoot her an email and she takes care of everything. Even gives you her beeper # to call anytime if you need help. I don't know what they could have done better.

Best rental company by far.

I have read all the posts in this thread and have rented from many of the same agencies mentioned but by far hands down the best rental company in DR is Prestige rental cars, Located in La Romana, Playa Dorada Puerto Plata, and in Cabarete. Tim Larkin the manager has unsurpassed customer service and goes to great lengths to make sure his customers are satisfied. Let me tell you my personal dealings with Prestige rentals. We rented a jeep in mid October and had the unfortunate luck to get in an accident on the Highway up in Cabarete. Tim showed up at accident scene to make sure I was OK(Not the CAR) and told me to forget about the car because that is what insurance is for. Tim then took me in his personal car from Cabarete to my Hotel in Cofresi. Next morning new car delivered to my hotel (No Problem). Tim and his assistant then accompanied me to the police station to help me finish up accident report ( How many rental companies would help like that?). Over the next few days Tim rented about 5-6 more autos to friends of mine who loved the personal attention they recieved from Prestige rentals, They delivered the cars to wherever you were at that moment (Eddys watching football) and actually came to Sosua beach to pick up a car for a buddy who was leaving but was trying to get in a few last rays of sunshine before going back to NY. I will never rent from another agency even if i find a cheaper price because with Pestige I trully felt like I was dealing with friends not an Agency. Call Tim to make your next reservation 809-796-5565

Badpiece

rabro78

Apr 1, 2006
rent a car

Dear Colegues!

EFEL Travel rent a car is involve in rent a car business since 2002 and during that short period we had very good results and create recognasible image as in Montenegro so in whole world. That shows that 95% of our clients were foreigners expecially from Russia. Tour operator APOLLO from Sweden provide inquiry. In that inquiry EFEL rent a car was esteem like one who has fast and simply service.On the teritory of Montenegro we have cooperation with: Apollo (Sweden), PAKS (Moscow), R-Tours(Moscow), KOMPAS Hit (Moscow), KOMPAS (Slovenia), VB Travel (UK), INGHAMS (UK), TTI (Belgrade), at the moment negotiating with Sunway Holidays (Ireland)....etc. Our main characteristics are right timing, swiftness, simplicity and security. During pre and post season we attend marketing actions throw gratis day if the rental was on 7 days and also many discounts to our faithful clients.Our brochures are presented in every hotel on Montenegrian seaside as in airport Podgorica and Tivat.
EFEL Travel is a subsiudary of the company EFEL International co. who is authorized distributor in Montnegro: TOYOTA vehicles, YAMAHA motorbikes, MOBIL1 and ESSO lubricants and MARSHAL car tires.
At the moment we have 10 TOYOTA vehicles (YARIS, COROLLA and Avensis) with all equipments. Web adress is under construction.
Im searching for tour operator and clients who need rent a car service in Montenegro.
If you are interested please contact us!
Im looking forward to hear you.
Best Regards
EFEL Travel
Borislav Rabrenovic
Manager
Tel: +381 81 641-044
Fax: +381 81 641 166
GSM: +381 67 419 500
Email: efelrentacar@cg.yu

wishingiwasthere

Nov 19, 2005
Just out of Playa Dorada - MELODY

Ok - i had a car for 1 week - a Grand Vitara - paid $240 and left a photo copy of my passport. He asked for the document and I said no way - however he has to know who i am and was quite happy to leave a photo copy.
The car - a few years old - all worked properley, air conditioned, and more than good enough for what we wanted to do.
The contract - I didnt like a paragraph in it and asked him to take it out. So we drew a line through it and BOTH signed it.
I did not have an accident so i dont know what would have happened if i did - but i would be more than happy and fully intend to hire from him again.
Contact -
MELODY - 9750670 or 6770909 or 0809 2613832

Coming out of Playa D grab a moto concho 10 pesos up to Melody and speak to Rafel CId- hes a great guy!

Dan

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
Golfer said:
But not the cheapest by far. I would name what I consider better agencies but it would violate the rules of the thread.

wOULD it violate the rules if you mailed them to me because I'm stuck right now and need a good affordable vehichle ASAP!!!! HELPPPPPPPPPPP!!!
pleave advise!

bfly75

Jul 15, 2004
MerengueDutchie said:
i just spend a nice 2 weeks in the DR and rented froma pal in Sosua, i paid RD$ 1,000 a da for a suzuki

Thats what i'm talking about! Anyway you can hook me up with your pal...I'm in Sti right now but will be in Puerto Plata on Thursday early am in hopes of finding a good car to get out to Samana!

Oh and Dan...found your info helpful...I'm gonna check that place out too.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Name:Tropicar
Reason why? Great car (Late model Honda CRV in near perfect condition with low miles), great service, Joshua speaks perfect English. Paperwork and vehicle inspection took about 10 minutes. Didnt ask to keep my passport. Call him at 809-705-9820. I told him about DR1 and he said he'd give a discount if you mention the board and/or that I referred you.

DavidM

Jun 29, 2006
How about thrifty?

I just reserved the basic car offered by Thrifty at SDQ and it cost me just $23.90/day with Unlimited Kilometers. This is an automatic car with air conditioning. Seems to be a great price for a car agency located inside the airport terminal. Nobody has even mentioned Thrifty on this thread...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
This forum is not for asking questions only for stating your opinion on what is the "Best"_______ in the DR.

If you have a question then start a thread in another forum or use the PM (private message) function that is available to you. Thank you.

Rick

Last edited by a moderator:

kram99

Mar 3, 2007
Best car rental in the Nortn Coast is Nelly Rental, at the airport in Puerta Plata.
Madeline Ramos is the absolute best, she's pulled my a** out of the fire a couple of times with traffic problems and she will deliver and pick-up the car at your hotel. The car are always in good shape,and I even called her at home on her days off with questions or problems.

bwanakev

Oct 22, 2006
I can certainly speak for renting cars in the SD area. I've been coming here regularly for almost 2 years and have been here full time for over 10 months. I've never owned a car in the DR and have always relied upon rentals to take care of my requirements when friends and family visit.

I have several good stories about local companies and a few horror stories as well- it is probably those which were the most education but in the interest of the title of the thread I won't name names- however if you want to know at least one company to stay away from please feel free to PM me.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
I normally rent from National, and except for the amount of time they take to process the paperwork, the experience has been positive. They have always been friendly and the cars have been in good shape (relative to the local standards). Only once in over 30 rentals did I have a problem with the car, and they were able to get someone out to where I was and look at the car in a surprisingly short period of time. If you are going to rent from National, it may pay to join their Emerald Club which gets you a 20% discount for rentals in the DR.

I have also rented from Avis and Hertz. One time Hertz didn't have any cars available, even though I had a reservation. They didn't seem to care and made no effort to try to get me a car. Beacuse of this I advise people not to rent from Hertz.

Hertz doesnt actually rent cars in DR.It is a car rental subcontractor.