Best place to rent a car

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Hertz doesnt actually rent cars in DR.It is a car rental subcontractor.
I'm not sure what you point is. You can reserve the car through the Hertz website. When you pick up the car, you go to a Hertz counter. To me it doesn't matter if the franchise is operated by Hertz or by a subcontractor. Ultimately, it reflects on Hertz.

BTW: You are responding to a post that is over 2 1/2 years old.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Best car rental in the Nortn Coast is Nelly Rental, at the airport in Puerta Plata.
Madeline Ramos is the absolute best, she's pulled my a** out of the fire a couple of times with traffic problems and she will deliver and pick-up the car at your hotel. The car are always in good shape,and I even called her at home on her days off with questions or problems.

Is she still around? And what kind of prices?

Anything simular to Ugly Duckling Rent-A-Car on the north coast? You know, beat up used cars cheap...yeah, I'm cheap:cheeky: Just looking for "cheap" transportation.

I usually rent a bike but am tired of getting my dancin shoes wet, not to mention the close brushes with death!!!

thanks
ctRob

esoxhunter

Feb 2, 2008
Adventure Rent a Car

I just returned from the DR and had a very pleasant experience with Adventure rent a car. Raphael greeted us at the airport on time and even drove us to our hotel since we were unsure how to get there. The whole experience was very smooth. Everyone was extremely nice. I would definitely use them again.

David

ibmeubu

Nov 1, 2007
anyone know of other car rentals in the capital under 50.00 full ins. send me a message thanx

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I just returned from the DR and had a very pleasant experience with Adventure rent a car. Raphael greeted us at the airport on time and even drove us to our hotel since we were unsure how to get there. The whole experience was very smooth. Everyone was extremely nice. I would definitely use them again.

David

What is their rate per day?

Gregory Wales

Mar 7, 2002
www.mhhp.org
As far as price is concerned, check the internet.

We've been renting cars at POP's National Car rental for 10 years. This year was the first year we made our reservation online. We went through the same agency - same personel - same model car. The only difference was we made our reservation online. It was the lowest price we've ever paid.

Check it out.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
avis

When I rent a car I always use avis. They have new cars, the most locations , and the price came out to around 50.00 a day for a compact. I had an accident (broken side view mirror) and they gave me a new car with no problems. I always use the internet for reservations . They have locations at all the airports , most bust stops, and major city locations. I used to rent from dollar but had poor service at sti which forced me to switch to avis to my pleasent surprise.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
As far as price is concerned, check the internet.

We've been renting cars at POP's National Car rental for 10 years. This year was the first year we made our reservation online. We went through the same agency - same personel - same model car. The only difference was we made our reservation online. It was the lowest price we've ever paid.

Check it out.

how much did you pay?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
how much did you pay?

I recently rented a Nissan Tilda, 4-door, automatic, with A/C from National/Alamo for 7 days and the bill came to $287.63. The car comfortable holds four adults with a large trunk space. The super subcompact model would be about $45 less.

The key is to use the CDW/Theft Protection provided by the CC company. The only insurance you will need to pay for is third party liability which is $5 a day. Call your CC company, not the bank, and request for them to email you a document stating the coverage which the rental agency may or may not ask for.

If you have any luggage never, ever rent the Chevy Spark.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I recently rented a Nissan Tilda, 4-door, automatic, with A/C from National/Alamo for 7 days and the bill came to $287.63. The car comfortable holds four adults with a large trunk space. The super subcompact model would be about $45 less.

The key is to use the CDW/Theft Protection provided by the CC company. The only insurance you will need to pay for is third party liability which is $5 a day. Call your CC company, not the bank, and request for them to email you a document stating the coverage which the rental agency may or may not ask for.

If you have any luggage never, ever rent the Chevy Spark.

Good price.

I always pay with CC as it includes free insurance.

POP airport Budget is $25 per day. All other companies - $28-$32 per day.
One day or more - no difference.

Cheaper to drive a rented car from the flight than to pay the same money just for a 10 minute trip on taxi to Sosua to those greedy shameless taxistas.

rbstoker

Nov 23, 2005
I just got back from STI and used Europcar. It was a total of $232 for an economy car for 10 days including all taxes and fees. I booked online and payed in person with cc. If I had used their pre-pay service it would have been $207 total out the door. Normally I use their pre-pay service, but my plans were not set until the last minute. Also, I would not recommend the economy car for outside the city. I drove it to POP and it struggled up the mountain.

Reg

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i would like to recommend budget in punta cana. last time we vacationed in the DR we had pre-booked with Dollar only weeks before only to find out they had gone out of business before we arrived(with no notice to us!) after waiting for over an hour and having numerous other people tell us this fact (we had a really good deal on a 7passenger van and were wary of others trying to sell us behind their backs) we finally realised that we were not getting the dollar vehicle. it was already 6pm on sunday and the folks at budget were very kind and helpful(raphael especially). when these people found out where we were travelling in the country they even suggested guides for us and gave us cell numbers in case of questions or help. it really started our vacation off on a good note that could have been sour:squareeye

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Credit card fraud

Monitor your credit card after a car rental in DR
I rented a car from eurocar in May 2008 and in June 2008 my bank phoned and informing me my credit card was used in Texas. I live in New York city.
The only time I used that card was for the car rental in POP airport. I received a letter from the US State Department recently concerning the raise of credit card fraud in the Dominican Republic.
That was the second time I was a victim of credit card fraud after I rented a car in DR.

Ant

Feb 1, 2002
Thrify

The best place (and cheapest) to rent cars in Santo Domingo is Thrifty. I have been recommending them for many years to my friends, and never any problems. If you go to their website you will get really good deals.

They have an office on Lope de Vega in Santo Domingo, and also at the airport.

Happy car renting.

bluemoonnyc

Oct 4, 2007
I know this is an old thread,but can someone post a phone or web site frontera car rental?thanks,,Mark

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Thrifty is aweful !!!

I had horrible experiences with both Thrifty on Lincoln (Capital) and Thrifty at Las Americas Airport. Make sure the 26% tax is included in the daily rate you agree upon.