Blackouts and more blackouts!!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Getting back to the OP, I too am amazed at how deep Nuria is digging, the mind boggling extent of the nepotism and corruption, and how businesses here take such a 'shake their head and walk away" attitude.

I honestly do not see a solution to the whole mess. I don't. It is so ingrained in folks heads here, that it will always be tolerated.

I think everyone is amazed at how far back Nuria is pulling the curtain. Nobody has every dared go that far before.

I truthfully wonder how much protection she must need from the people she's looking into?

Well, I'm glad at least one person is doing something about it, if the rest of the media follow suit, the govt will eventually have no choice but to do something.... at least in my dream world thats how it works...!

Would be interesting if she found corruption in the Commision of Ethics or the Department for the Persecution of Administrative Corruption (DPCA)!! Will be watching this space.......9pm, Sat, on Ch9.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
JDJones: As people have mentioned PC is not just all villas and rich folks. I'm completely convinced that the majority of people would pay (including me) if they were offered a good service (example look at places like El Seibo). They have to first offer 24 hours continuous service to the population and then apply the law to make people pay for it, but nobody is going to pay for a deficient service.

On a side note: Funny story I read today...In my hometown there's an EDENORTE office. Their sole purpose appears to be to collect as much money as possible from those who pay and threaten those who don't with cutting off their service, taking them to jail, etc...because nobody sees them doing anything else. Last night someone stole their inverter so now THEY are without power and suffering the same as everyone else is in town. "Ladron que roba a ladron..."

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Not to make "light" of a sad situation...and the lack of an ability for a government to insure a stable infrastructure for it's people is SAD....

I was on the phone with my galpal the other night, she lives in a not so nice area of SD...where they get "la luz" only around meal times and late at night til sun up...when she tells me there's a fire on the power pole outside her family's apartment and the people in the street were throwing sand on it..

......when I asked her if the fire was at the base, she said no....the fire was burning on the connector to the transfomer! Yep, the street urchins were throwing handfulls of sand into the sky....she said a guy finally put a ladder up on the pole, climbed up to the burning connector and threw a rag on it to smother it...before he proceeded to tighten the connection...

.......from my experience in working electrical distribution, it sounds as if the neutral connection on the transformer was loose and glowing red hot.....I told her if anyone got electrocuted to call me and I'd help find the right lawyer to file the lawsuits....an open neutral (loose ground wire) is as deadly as a hot wire.....

the decline in living conditions over the past 18 months is deplorable...what will it take for the citizens to riot? Americans destroy busses and cop cars after a Lakers game, and raise hell when the lights are out for more than 2 days after a hurricane...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
JDJones: As people have mentioned PC is not just all villas and rich folks. I'm completely convinced that the majority of people would pay (including me) if they were offered a good service (example look at places like El Seibo). They have to first offer 24 hours continuous service to the population and then apply the law to make people pay for it, but nobody is going to pay for a deficient service.

On a side note: Funny story I read today...In my hometown there's an EDENORTE office. Their sole purpose appears to be to collect as much money as possible from those who pay and threaten those who don't with cutting off their service, taking them to jail, etc...because nobody sees them doing anything else. Last night someone stole their inverter so now THEY are without power and suffering the same as everyone else is in town. "Ladron que roba a ladron..."

Wait a minute, the EDENORTE office had an inverter?? That's like a Pizza Hut employee ordering Dominoe's in his break. LOL. Maybe is an UPS.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I think everyone is amazed at how far back Nuria is pulling the curtain. Nobody has every dared go that far before.

I truthfully wonder how much protection she must need from the people she's looking into?

Well, I'm glad at least one person is doing something about it, if the rest of the media follow suit, the govt will eventually have no choice but to do something.... at least in my dream world thats how it works...!

Would be interesting if she found corruption in the Commision of Ethics or the Department for the Persecution of Administrative Corruption (DPCA)!! Will be watching this space.......9pm, Sat, on Ch9.

Knowing nuria's history I don't think there's much anybody can do to shut her up. She started on tv in the early 70's in a show named "Domingo De Mi Ciudad" with a folk from Spain named Horacio Lamadrid. She was a little girl and the show became very popular. Virtually she grew up in front of everybody's eyes. Harming her would be -in the words of Fouche- worst than a crime, it would be a mistake.

6odxut628896-022.jpg

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Knowing nuria's history I don't think there's much anybody can do to shut her up. She started on tv in the early 70's in a show named "Domingo De Mi Ciudad" with a folk from Spain named Horacio Lamadrid. She was a little girl and the show became very popular. Virtually she grew up in front of everybody's eyes. Harming her would be -in the words of Fouche- worst than a crime, it would be a mistake.

6odxut628896-022.jpg

Interesting. I don't know if you guys are aware that her father who was an investigative reporter got murdered some years ago by, I believe, The Balaguer dictatorship. She was a little kid and supposedly was sitting next to him when he got shot to death. I don't think anybody ever went to trial for his murder, but supposedly when she was older she did find out who ordered the hit. So she's extremely courageous for doing this type of work after what happened to her father.

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Gave Up Being Bothered Many Years Ago!!!!!

Iam surprised to see so many "Long Term" Expats complaining about lack of "Energia Electrica", or just "La Luz"! And the "Corruption" in the DR! It?s like an "Arab" bitching about "Too Much Sand"!
C?mon you "Lifers", you know that "Things" in the DR never change,unless they "Get Worse",like under "Hippolito"!
Didn?t you notice that "Leonel?s " brother gets $2000 US a month,and he lives in "Nueba Yol"! But then again,The lights are on there!
Maybe I?m just not as upset as you are because I just spent two dasys at ?Barba Negra?s":pirate::pirate: in Costambar....:bunny::bunny

"It?s ALL Good"!
Cris Coloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

She is protected by what she knows and doesn't say.
Her lawyers are always doing deals, it's how the game has to be played.

Some of those is power "silently" give her support.
It's a way to clean house, but not be the one holding the broom.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
She is protected by what she knows and doesn't say.
Her lawyers are always doing deals, it's how the game has to be played.

Some of those is power "silently" give her support.
It's a way to clean house, but not be the one holding the broom.

She won't say much if her mouth is filled with ants, ask Orlando Martinez..............oops, sorry, he's dead already.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
She won't say much if her mouth is filled with ants, ask Orlando Martinez..............oops, sorry, he's dead already.

My wife told me yesterday that she went quiet for a while some years ago after her and another journalist went public with something and he was actually murdered. She did say that the guy who was responsible (govt member or other) was caught and jailed for it.

I think Leonel F. knows all too well what would happen to his party if Nuria "went missing" after investiagting govt corruption.

And Robert's probably correct too, items to be published in the event of an untimely demise....

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
She's definitely somewhat protected. Remember her boyfriend / husband is Felucho Jimenez who is himself a very powerful dude within the government bureaucracy. I wouldn't think any big fish would order her murdered. I would be more concerned about some lowly guy who loses his gravy train as a result of one of her investigation piece.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think they are involved any longer. That relationship diminished her credibility because he is far from squeaky clean.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
And Robert's probably correct too, items to be published in the event of an untimely demise....

To me it's silly to think she is protected by people who got/might be fired because of what she said. Look at the guy from PRA, Marcos Lara; he lost his job because of the corruption and nepotism reported by Nuria that was going on under his supervision, it isn't like he didn't go to prison cuz she didn't say enough but rather cuz of the lack of justice, institutionalism etc., so why would he protect her?

Regarding her relationship to Felucho, not likely to protect her either.

00000930-constrain-200x200.jpeg

Gregorio Garcia Castro alias Goyito (see pic above) was very close to top General Ney Nivar Seijas, so close that when he got killed Nivar had a very heated argument with the alleged plotter General Cruz Brea in the Government Palace, but that relationship couldn't save his life.

Orlando Martinez, who was friend of Goyito had also very good friends in top government positions but all they could do was warn him that the plot to kill him was already approved and the only way he could save his life was to leave the country. He didn't and....

orlando-martinez.jpg

the black spot on the right side of his face is not a mole, that's a bullet hole. Relationships won't save life once you touch certain fibers.

Sorry if I went a bit off topic, but the thread is about blackouts and Nuria has been going hard after corrupt government officials who work in those areas.

I'm not suggesting this might happens to her, time has changed a lot in DR. Just adding my two cents.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just "Give Up" Enjoy the beer,the beach, food & Music!

AND FOR THOSE WHO SO desire, THE sex!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC HEAD OF STATE ELECTRIC SAYS THAT THE !aPAGONES" are just "SEASONAL"!

Thank God!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Hey, this might be the answer for the DR - someone call the Cardinal!

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Pakistan 'fatwa' on power thieves

- seeing as all the other things they declared as sins have been completely and totally stamped out....

I love this bit........

And on 17 and 18 June, millions lost their electricity supply for hours due to what the KESC descibed as a "technical fault".
It left people without fans and air-conditioning in the summer heat, and brought industry to a halt.

Lots power for hours........wow, if they only knew....and in the heat too?

Would be interesting here if industry came to a halt every time the power went out......

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
I just read the DR1 headline where CDEE owes $700 Million US to the generators. Segura, who has provided 10 years of stellar service as the executive vice-president of CDEE:pirate:, is afraid to renegotiate the contracts with the generators because he feels they will shut down. Why have they not already shut down?

Just out of curiousity, why do they always talk to Segura who is the VP of CDEEE and not the President of CDEE?
How can the generators produce even 1KW while being owed $700 Million US?

The don't shut down because if they did, they can kiss goodbye to their $700m debt. You really think the DR Govt will make good on it if they receive nothing in return....

Games, games, and more games. If I were a generator, I would probably shut down as soon as I got the debt back too, then move onto a Pay As You Go basis, by that stage I've learned that the DR Govt/CDEEE isn't exactly good at keeping its promises....