blood test

C

Capt. Rob

I will be taking my blood test for rediency and was just wondering what are they looking for. And why a urine test also.

P

peter

As an aside, I've heard that employees of the resorts are also tested for HIV when they get hired. Is this true and if so who covers the cost, given the # of employees in the A-I resorts.

H

Hillbilly

To see if you've been bad or good, so be

good for goodness' sake!!
they will test for HIV, VD, Urine will be for drugs...
HB

C

ciberstew

Re: To see if you've been bad or good, so be

To deny someone the right to work because they are sick or disabled is against human rights and should be discontinued.

S

Sarah

Of course there are two separate issues here: residency and employment. I'm actually curious about both. In the DR, if found to be HIV positive, are you denied either one?

C

Capt. Rob

Sarah, I do not know however, I have been told that if you are married to a Dominican you have the right to residency.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

They are looking for AIDS, syphilis, tb or evidence of drug abuse. If any of these is present, the residency application will be rejected. Every country in the world requires good health as a condition for immigration. For immigrants to the U.S. at the turn of the century, the most dreaded moment at Ellis Island was the medical examination: an X on the coat meant a return voyage to Europe.

This year our firm had two applicants testing positive on drugs. Both allege that it was a mistake and we are having a very hard time just getting the authorities to allow a second test. They wanted to deport them immediately.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

The law protects an employee from termination just for being HIV-positive. For residency, it's totally different. See my other post in this string.

S

Sarah

Thank you Sr. Guzman, However I was asking about HIRING practices. Can an employer in the DR refuse to hire someone due to someone testing positive for HIV? Is it general practice to test prior to hiring, as Peter mentioned above? I'm asking because it doesn't sound right. There should be laws against this sort of human rights infraction, as ciberstew suggests. Thanks for any additional information. Sarah

C

ciberstew

This is a sensitive subject Just see the problems that Fat Freddy encountered for his response to the murder of his young relitive. [made in the heat of grief standing in his blood] One wrong does not erase the fact that things must be taken in the right context. If I had been in Freddys shoes at that moment would have said the same thing. Hopfully the people in this country will change and be more understanding. A intelligent approach to this matter would help every one.

S

Sarah

I'm not aware of the "Fat Freddy" story you refer to. Care to elaborate? Or give me a link?

C

Capt. Rob

Ok deport!!, But who did the blood test? A Dominican lab? How could anyone trust the results of a blood test done here when nothing here works. I know I am going to blasted for this but, I personally know of many cases where the paternity test was made to be taken over by the U.S. Embassy because they cannot trust the results of the blood tests done here. These tests are 500.00 a piece not cheap. If they are going to test for drugs why not check evey Dominican who returns from the U.S. Many with criminal records who were deported from the U.S. or spent time in U.S. prisons and because, they have committed no crime here are considered model citizens.

Please don't call me a racist, or bigot this is the truth.

E

ECH, M.D.

It only shows how stupid politicians are, especially when it comes to medicine and science.
A NEGATIVE test for HIV really means NOTHING. By that, I mean it can take at least 6 weeks to convert to positive after exposure and may take as long as 6 months. There have been a few reported cases taking almost a full year to convert TO POSITIVE. So what does the blood test demonstrate...NOTHING UNLESS YOU HAVE HAD NO EXPOSURE FOR AT LEAST A YEAR. The same can be said of Syphilis. There are many FALSE POSITIVES AND FALSE NEGATIVES. There is NO blood test for TB. There is a skin test for antigen/antibody reaction but it too, does not diagnose TB. One can suspect TB on chest X-ray but the only way to make a positive diagnosis is with a POSITIVE sputum Culture. Same can be said of Syphilis, the only way to make a POSITIVE diagnosis is to demonstrate the spirokete on darkfield microscopy examination.
Good health is great but they are just going thru the motions and it means nothing.
Drug detection is another thing but there are false positives in that also especially with URINE drug screening. Serum from blood is more precise but more costly.
CHEERS
And the next time someone tell you they are HIV negative...remember, it means nothing.

S

Sarah

My point is, why do the HIV tests in the first place? Good results or not, why are they necessary for employment? Is there a law in the DR that supports NOT hiring based on a positive test?

C

Capt. Rob

As far as hiv I always believe use a condom for six months in a monogames relationship then put each other in separate locked closets for six months and then maybe you can have a serious relationship.

L.O.L.

G

Gunnar

The tests show one thing important to the government - that
you got sufficient funds to pay for a medical exam/test...

S

sean

Testing IS Important

The testing requirement in the D.R. for applicants for immigration is not unlike similar testing requirements in other countries. So, what?s the big deal? The health of applicants has been a legitimate concern of sovereign nations for a very long time. No universal right of transit between nations for persons with deadly infectious diseases has ever been granted, that I am familiar with. Communities adopt standards as they deem proper for the orderly life and protection of their members. Immigration is a privilege, not a right.

Companies that test employees, and potential employees, that serve the public (such as food and beverage service) are acting responsibly to protect their customers, and in this age of litigation to protect their shareholders. Employees infected with the HIV virus and/or those who are substance abusers, even if they have acquired their conditions due to no deliberate actions of their own, pose a risk to the public, in certain situations. Yes, compassion is called for, but the rights of those who can injure me end at the point where my right to life begins.

Many tourists to the D.R. place themselves at great risk of acquiring HIV and STD's because of the seemingly ever-present lure of prostitution. Visitors from the world-over travel to the D.R. to have inexpensive sex, and these sex workers have redefined the term 'multiple partners'. The foreign tourist will, almost certainly, use a condom while engaging in intercourse because they are, generally, aware of the risks involved. The low rate of condom useage by Dominicanos, however, discloses the reason for the high rate of infection among the population. Substandard education creates an environment of ignorance. I'm unaware of a condom manufacturer that states that useage of a condom 'prevents' the transmission of HIV and other STD's. They do all make the claim that useage 'may reduce' the transmission, and in that assertion they are accurate.

Testing, although not 100% accurate, is an important tool in identifying many persons who are infected, and, early identification can, in many cases, prolong the life of the infected person and prevent the infection of countless others. Yes, not all testing is accurate. Yes, it may take a longer period of time for the disease to appear in some, but then almost immediately for others. Testing is not flaw-proof. Abstinence from casual sex a laudable goal, but not a realistic expectation. Rather than offer comments that may discourage some to go for testing, most medical doctors worldwide encourage persons who feel that they are at risk to be tested. The next time someone tells you that they have been tested and that the test indicated that they tested 'negative' for the HIV virus....remember, it means something....they made the effort at some point to protect themselves and others. To suggest otherwise is to act irresponsibly.

G

Gunnar

Re: Testing IS Important

"The next time someone tells you that they have been tested and that the test indicated that they tested 'negative' for the HIV
virus....remember, it means something....they made the effort at some point to protect themselves and others."

It might also mean they know they behaved irresponsibly, and
needs a "green card". Every coin has two sides. Even this.