Bourbon

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Not sure if Canadian whiskey is bourbon but ....A member of this site came down here from Canada a few days ago and brought me 4 large bottles of Crown Royal....which I will pick up tomorrow...Its not Jim Beam. its a lot better and not available here............
Canadian whiskey is mos def not Bourbon. But it is good stuff! We talk about all types of spirits up in here. The rum guy regularly throws in random stuff for us to chew on (or is that to sip). I post about any spirits I buy here in Republica Dominicana.

Over here in EAST SIDE, and Santo Domingo, Crown Royal is available both in the Deluxe and the Apple flavor. My last bottle of Crown Royal Deluxe has been drained and I have not re-upped. What I would like to see is the Vanilla flavor here. On ice that stuff is good. It should be illegal to make whiskey taste like candy.

"There’s only one law for producing Canadian whisky: It must be fermented, distilled and aged in Canada. There are no laws dictating what grains must be used, unlike bourbon which requires a certain amount of corn, or single malt scotch which, naturally, requires malted barley. Canadian whisky is often made from several different grains including corn, rye, and malted barley. However, also unlike bourbon or many other styles of whiskey, each different grain type is generally fermented, distilled and aged separately. They’re only combined at the end before bottling, which means the amount of rye whiskey added to each blend can vary widely."

Enjoy!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Canadian whiskey is mos def not Bourbon. But it is good stuff! We talk about all types of spirits up in here. The rum guy regularly throws in random stuff for us to chew on (or is that to sip). I post about any spirits I buy here in Republica Dominicana.

Over here in EAST SIDE, and Santo Domingo, Crown Royal is available both in the Deluxe and the Apple flavor. My last bottle of Crown Royal Deluxe has been drained and I have not re-upped. What I would like to see is the Vanilla flavor here. On ice that stuff is good. It should be illegal to make whiskey taste like candy.

"There’s only one law for producing Canadian whisky: It must be fermented, distilled and aged in Canada. There are no laws dictating what grains must be used, unlike bourbon which requires a certain amount of corn, or single malt scotch which, naturally, requires malted barley. Canadian whisky is often made from several different grains including corn, rye, and malted barley. However, also unlike bourbon or many other styles of whiskey, each different grain type is generally fermented, distilled and aged separately. They’re only combined at the end before bottling, which means the amount of rye whiskey added to each blend can vary widely."

Enjoy!
This was my preference as a young guy https://therumhowlerblog.com/whisky...whisky sold at an incredibly attractive price. It was cheaper to buy CC or Wisers old if you were mixing.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

Enjoy!
yes for a whiskey made with little rules it is very good , has something to do with the casks they are aged in , they are charred inside and can be used over... in the US never.....If you ever get a chance try Midelton Irish whiskey or look it up...

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Well I see nothing much has been happening in the Bourbon world here. Such a shame. But the real problem is lack of availability of Bourbon in general here in Republica Dominicana. I proudly serve Bourbon to all Dominicans I drink with. Here try a whiskey from MY country. Every single one of them has liked it (but of course how can you not like free whiskey).

My favorite supplier has come through again. This time with Even Williams Single Barrel Vintage. Put in oak in the year 2013. Barreled on 09/04/2013. Barrel No. 513. Bottled on 5/5/2021. Bottled at 43.3% ABV...it just does not get much better than that here in Republica Dominicana. This is the first single barrel bourbon I have seen here. You get an age statement and each bottle is going to taste slightly different. I would have liked a higher ABV but I'll take it. This is the Evan Williams black label mash bill. Aged longer. So hopefully a bit more complex than the black label Tasting notes will come later.

Even Williams Single Barrel750 ml2495$44.40Licormart

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Someone today wrote to me (somewhat tongue in cheek) that they hoped I found some happiness today. Then someone else asked if I was ok. The inquires about my well being from the DR1 community are heartwarming and profoundly moving. Thank you to all that are concerned.

Tasting notes on the Even Williams Single Barrel Vintage are excellent. A more complex, bolder taste than the regular black label. This is going to be my daily drinker in the US. It would be here too in the Dominican Republic, but it is simply too expense to be drinking everyday. Since I was so pleased with the taste I decided to pick up two more bottles. And was fortunate enough to even find a bottle from a different barrel. Barrel No. 505.

I have not yet had a drink from my bar. But those who are interested can rest assured that I will find happiness once I do this evening. And for those inquiring about my well being today...three red bulls would not be good for me. So, I avoid them. A couple of cups of coffee a day is good enough. I have not had to work a shift anywhere or for anyone for many many years (it's good to be me).

So yes, to answer your question, I am ok. In fact, I am better than ok, I'm good!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Someone today wrote to me (somewhat tongue in cheek) that they hoped I found some happiness today. Then someone else asked if I was ok. The inquires about my well being from the DR1 community are heartwarming and profoundly moving. Thank you to all that are concerned.

Tasting notes on the Even Williams Single Barrel Vintage are excellent. A more complex, bolder taste than the regular black label. This is going to be my daily drinker in the US. It would be here too in the Dominican Republic, but it is simply too expense to be drinking everyday. Since I was so pleased with the taste I decided to pick up two more bottles. And was fortunate enough to even find a bottle from a different barrel. Barrel No. 505.

I have not yet had a drink from my bar. But those who are interested can rest assured that I will find happiness once I do this evening. And for those inquiring about my well being today...three red bulls would not be good for me. So, I avoid them. A couple of cups of coffee a day is good enough. I have not had to work a shift anywhere or for anyone for many many years (it's good to be me).

So yes, to answer your question, I am ok. In fact, I am better than ok, I'm good!
Good to be your own boss, but often that's the hardest boss to please.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
That ain't Bourbon. That is Scotch right. Single Malt. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 so see what all the hype was about with Single Malts. Got it on my shelf right now. I was not impressed. I prefer smoke flavor profile in my Scotch. Some people consider that aggressive. I like aggressive. I'd like to try an Ardbeg 10. I've read it has an the type of flavor profile I like. Aggressive. You wanna talk Scotch. I am not a expert. But I do know what I like. I have no problem listening to your opinions even if you not expert. As for Bourbon (the topic of this thread) I prefer overproof with a spicy flavor.

More knowledge is always a good thing. Advice is sometimes worth no more than what you pay for it.
Stick to Islay whiskies if you prefer smoke flavours

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Good to be your own boss, but often that's the hardest boss to please.
Interesting thing for me is that when I worked for other people, I avoided going into line management. I never wanted to manage people. I find great pleasure in waking up and sonly having to manage myself. I ask myself each morning: "Self, what I got to do today?" Self gives me an answer. My next question to self is: "I'm in the Dominican Republic, do I really have to do this today or can it wait til tomorrow?" and self lets me know if I can do it Dominican Style.

But seriously, I thought being a business owner would be great. You know being your own boss and all that. Nah...it's still work. No I don't have to do the work in the business, I got employees to do that. But I still have work that I have to do and decisions I have to make because my operation is still too small to have a CEO type running everything for me so that my presence is not needed. I'm currently grooming someone for that role. But I am not there yet.

Feb 7, 2007
Interesting thing for me is that when I worked for other people, I avoided going into line management. I never wanted to manage people. I find great pleasure in waking up and sonly having to manage myself. I ask myself each morning: "Self, what I got to do today?" Self gives me an answer. My next question to self is: "I'm in the Dominican Republic, do I really have to do this today or can it wait til tomorrow?" and self lets me know if I can do it Dominican Style.

But seriously, I thought being a business owner would be great. You know being your own boss and all that. Nah...it's still work. No I don't have to do the work in the business, I got employees to do that. But I still have work that I have to do and decisions I have to make because my operation is still too small to have a CEO type running everything for me so that my presence is not needed. I'm currently grooming someone for that role. But I am not there yet.
What business are you in, just out of curiosity?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Stick to Islay whiskies if you prefer smoke flavours
I don't know where you are in the Dominican Republic. But I have priced Islays scotches in Santo Domingo and they start at 6000 DOP and range to 10,000 DOP. I cry when I have to pay more than 3000 DOP for my favorite bottles.
But since we are talking scotch let it be know I am a Bourbon man. I do so like that distilled corn juice aged in new oak. That being said I keep a few bottles of scotch in my bar for when my taste buds need a change up or a mix up.
Glenlivet Founders Reserve 750 ml2215$40.27Ron Depot
Read reviews on this one and it is suggested for Bourbon drinkers like myself. And they were dead on point. It has a ever so subtle sweet taste that makes me forget I am drinking a scotch. I will definitely re up when it is time.
Johnnie Walker Green Label 15750 ml3705$67.36Ron Depot
This is the best scotch I have had a the pleasure to drink so far. Hard for me to describe the taste. It's just good! Hurts to buy it. Feels good to drink it. I'll keep it on my shelf. Cause it hurts so good.
Dewar's 12750 ml1190$20.41PriceSmart
Caught it on sale. Worth every peso. Not really a sipper for me but works well in a whiskey sour. Jury is still out on if I will re up. Probably if I can catch it on sale again. I wouldn't at regular price.
Johnnie Walker Double Black750 ml2050$36.87PriceSmart
Got caught in the hype on this one. I like JWB, but this one is not double anything. Works for me as a sipper because of the smoke but I won't re up. I will go back to my Johnnie Walker Black.
Dewars Caribbean Smooth750 ml1010$17.41Ron Depot
This is always on my shelf with a back up. It is my goto mixer for my whiskey sours. Flavor really pops when I mix it up.

That is my scotch round up. Those with more experience with it feel free to offer suggestions. This is the Bourbon thread but we talk about all spirits up in here. Preferably those that are available in the Dominican Republic.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Let's talk rum.
A north coast treat: Atlantico Ron Platino.
I had never seen it in Santo Domingo/Santo Domingo este. It is a product of Repubica Dominicana 40% ABV and around 1000 DOP for 750 ml. Not really a sipper for me. But that does not mean it didn't taste good. Because used as the strong portion of my rum punch the flavor really pops. Just to make sure I wasn't just on a new bottle tip, I tried my rum punch with a Brugal Blanco that I am trying to get rid of (bottle is about five years old, serious purchase error). My rum punch was flat with the Brugal. Now I am wishing I got an extra bottle because it is time to re-up. I will keep looking for it down here but I will probably have to wait until I head to the north coast again. Unless one of you nice DR1 people on the north coast willing to hook a brother up on your next trip to the south.

EASTSIDE!!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Don Miguel Legado Special Blend
I am rocking: Small Batch#: 0002 Bottle#:2356 out of 5000
ABV: 37.5
700 ml
1020 DOP
Not long on the shelves.
Don't sleep on it.
Wonderful Nose
Taste is even better
It is punching well above it's weight and just perfect as a sipper and yet not so expensive to make you not want to mix it.
It is currently the best Dominican Ron at this price point.
Don't sleep on this one people
🥃 🥃

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
After a very lively and stimulating exchange with the DR1ers on the topic of Haiti
I've decided to take a break
And get back to my regularly scheduled enjoyment of life.
Tonight I'm mixing up one of my favorites.
The Whiskey Sour
Now the tradition calls for Bourbon and and egg white.
But you all know I am not a traditionalist
I mix how I like.
In place of the Bourbon I use Scotch
And I drop the egg white.
Knowing there is raw egg in my drink is unappealing.

1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 oz Simple syrup
2 oz Scotch
Not just any ole Scotch
Dewar's 10 year Caribbean Smooth
I have mixed my Whiskey Sours with 5 different types of Bourbon and 5 different types of Scotch
And for me the Dewar's 10 year Caribbean Smooth really pops in the flavor department.
It is not a sipper for me.
But I must keep it on hand for the mix.
And we are doing it James Bond style
Shaken not stirred.
4 large pieces of ice in the the Boston Shaker
10 shakes over the shoulder for show effect even if no one is looking (you play how you practice)
Tap on the side and pull the upper portion off.
Strainer on top.
One hand pour (just like the professionals)
Into the glass filled with 9 small pieces of ice from my tray sent to me from Jeff
Ya

Glass to my lips
It rolls onto my tongue...
I can truly affirm that this is some good :poop:
That's what I'm sipping on tonight
🥃🥃

EASTSIDE!!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Always lemon juice Professor Saunders
Freshly squeezed
When lemons can be found in Bravo, Jumbo or National it is Whiskey Sour time ‼️

🥃🥃
last two times I was in La Sirena they had your yellow lemons. I use limes because I have lime trees and thus the limes are free. I don't drink hard liquor any more. Lost it's appeal to me many years ago.

Reactions: cavok and JD Jones

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
last two times I was in La Sirena they had your yellow lemons. I use limes because I have lime trees and thus the limes are free. I don't drink hard liquor any more. Lost it's appeal to me many years ago.
I pretty much quit years ago when I started laying out a budget after I decided to get rid of my CC debt.

It was pretty simple actually; just started keeping track of what I was spending and where and that developed into a savings routine.

I can't believe how far I've come since then.

Being much more healthy is another great benefit.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Let me get this straight:
Professor Saunders asks me a question about using limes or lemons in my whiskey sours only to tell me he stopped drinking hard liquor because it lost it's appeal many years ago
I don't red o spel 2 gun
So help me out Professor, how do you use limes in a Whiskey Sour but you don't drink⁉️

Mr. JD quit drinking after deciding to deploy his money other places and received the benefits of increased health.

Must be a intellectual interested since this is the Bourbon thread
Happy for ya both.

I mixed up some Brugal 1888 and orange juice this morning.
The 1888 flavor really pops in the OJ
Don Miguel Legado Special Blend and 1888 are the best dominican rums for my taste buds

It still has appeal to me.
I can afford it.
No budget problems.
No health problems (that I cannot manage while still enjoying a drink)
🥃 🥃

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
JD quit drinking after he realized that we at DR1 don’t pay for carpel tunnel syndrome.

Now he uses that cash to stay healthy since you guys keep him busy.

I told him no carpel tunnel insurance but here is an Axe you can use when needed.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
I think Bob was just asking because we Dominicans tend to use limes more than lemons.

We also call limes, lemons. Lol