Bringing mushroom spores to the DR

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I want to try my hand at growing some mushrooms here in the DR even though I think the temps are too high. Bringing spores into the DR from the states concerns me from a couple of viewpoints. A) Doesn't the paperwork coming in say something about bringing in agro products or is that DR to US? B)I wouldn't want those meatballs at DR customs thinking I'm trying to grow mild altering products with "mushroom spores".
Any members know anything about the subject of mushroom growing in the DR?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I got nothing for you on importation but.
You can build a cool room.
Power the cooling unit or air conditioner with solar power.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mushrooms do grow in DR. Last time we went to the agro fair at the Feria Ganadera in Santo Domingo (usually February or March) there was a grower there selling several different varieties. (I always bought extra to bring to Lindsay/Matilda, because she adored them and couldn’t get them where she lived. I made her a big mushroom cheese omelet last time she stayed at our house, not long after the first attack. You’d think I’d served filet mignon).

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Mushrooms will do well in areas around basins of mountains where it remains cool and damp year round but probably not the most comfortable places to live unless you are accustomed to very high humidity.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Maybe I should try renting a room from our member that has discovered at "an undisclosed location" a cool, dark, damp place. What do you think the rates would be?:cool:

• Haha

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Maybe I should try renting a room from our member that has discovered at "an undisclosed location" a cool, dark, damp place. What do you think the rates would be?:cool:
Not being sarcastic the area between La Vega and Jarabacoa would probably be a good spot should you ever choose to to do so.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Probably depends on the type of mushroom you want to grow, mushrooms from cooler climates would most likely not do well here. In the US a lot of mushrooms are grown in old whine and beer cellars

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Mushrooms are fungi, not agro, although I wouldn't count on the botanists at immigration making that distinction. Risk v. reward: Is the potential penalty worth it to you?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Mushrooms are fungi, not agro, although I wouldn't count on the botanists at immigration making that distinction. Risk v. reward: Is the potential penalty worth it to you?
Bringing in not my biggest concern. The fact that I have yet to find technical infomation that suggest my effort to grow here would be successful is more of a challenge.

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Mushrooms do grow in DR
I saw mushrooms in the Playro Supermarket in Sosua around the year 2000. I like them for pizza, but the caps must be closed like in this foto:

In Playero the caps were alway wide open and the mushrooms were too withered for my pizza.

Problem I see with distribution, because the tropical temeratures allow only a few day of use after harvest.

Alexander

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I saw mushrooms in the Playro Supermarket in Sosua around the year 2000. I like them for pizza, but the caps must be closed like in this foto:

In Playero the caps were alway wide open and the mushrooms were too withered for my pizza.

Problem I see with distribution, because the tropical temeratures allow only a few day of use after harvest.

Alexander
I want them for my own use and a couple of close friend. Not distribution.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Bringing in not my biggest concern. The fact that I have yet to find technical infomation that suggest my effort to grow here would be successful is more of a challenge.
Okay, I obviously misunderstood you. Good luck in your quest!

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
One of the things I do is to look for information on growing conditions in other countries that have climate conditions similar to how you plan to set up yours.

This might be off topic...

As an example: I looked for exemplars that for lettuce that thrive in high temperatures like we get here in 🇩🇴 .

Gmansayin'

Feb 3, 2022
Canada
The whole trick to making fresh mushrooms last is to dehydrate them ASAP. I have them done
like that and they will last months in a closed jar or container in a cool, dry and dark place.
When you are ready to have them cover the amount you are going to eat and cover them in
good water for 1 to 4 hours in a bowl or jar and make sure the are submerged in the water
..... and they are back for you to eat.....