Building in the dr

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Can i get some feed back on building a home in the dominican republic such issues as cost of materials these days.building practices for roofs, floors, walls.I have read many write ups on this and there are different opinions and they are older write ups.Love to hear all opinions on this.labour, contacts anything to give more knowledge.I am a general contractor in Canada and will be moving to the DR.Things are done different there for reasons everyone understands, but saving money and alot of headaches is the reason for this request.Im going to be somewhere between sosua and puerto plata.looking forward for your opionions.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
DON: Please do a search.
This topic has been worn out on these boards.

HB

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Thanks

Well HB I have read them all. Alot of them are older and prices have changed in the DR.This board is for help not for sarcasim of no use. sorry if i took up your time to read.Im new to this but i have learned that there are a few people not on here to help, just critasize.But thanks for your wisdom.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm an engineer who reside here in the DR. Prices have been posted recently in the last few months for everything you need. Furthermore, by the time you actually get to construction they will inevitable have changed. Therefore, you will have to raise the cost a certain percentage to cover for increases. The estimate you do now will be more than close enough to give you an idea of the amount you will need.

At any rate the real cost saving aren't necessarily in the materials but in how you manage the project. It would behoove you a great deal to be on the site when they are building and buy the materials and pay the workers along the way. This way you just contract an architect to do the plans and have a maestro administer construction. The only way to do it cheaper is to build it yourself. Make sure whoever you use has references and it would be worthwhile to look for professionals in Santiago as the markups I've seen on the North Coast are unreasonable.

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
I'm an engineer who reside here in the DR. Prices have been posted recently in the last few months for everything you need. Furthermore, by the time you actually get to construction they will inevitable have changed. Therefore, you will have to raise the cost a certain percentage to cover for increases. The estimate you do now will be more than close enough to give you an idea of the amount you will need.

At any rate the real cost saving aren't necessarily in the materials but in how you manage the project. It would behoove you a great deal to be on the site when they are building and buy the materials and pay the workers along the way. This way you just contract an architect to do the plans and have a maestro administer construction. The only way to do it cheaper is to build it yourself. Make sure whoever you use has references and it would be worthwhile to look for professionals in Santiago as the markups I've seen on the North Coast are unreasonable.
Thanks very much for your post do you know of any sites that show the dominican way to build step by step.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
Chips post is on the money, and I don't understand the negative responses in reference to Dominican construction, especially upgrade properties, visit Caberette, ocean front properties , just built a few years ago...............and see progress, after the making......

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
make sure the builder knows north from south, i know of two high rise buildings in SD, mirador norte, brand new, about 6 or 7 floors, where they should have been built back to back. one facing north with the other facing south. somebody turned the plan upside down and now we have the people in the north building looking at the laundry and fire escapes of the south building which is about 30 feet away. damn shame because they are nice buildings, nice balconies to sit out on and enjoy the view, too bad you have to look at laundry. as i said these are nice buildings i'm sure the price tag was in the millions, but some idiot couldn't tell north from south. the surprising thing is that people are actually buying them, must be a helluva price break or people are just numb. had the building been turned around it would have a great view over febrero 27 and northward.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
make sure the builder knows north from south, i know of two high rise buildings in SD, mirador norte, brand new, about 6 or 7 floors, where they should have been built back to back. one facing north with the other facing south. somebody turned the plan upside down and now we have the people in the north building looking at the laundry and fire escapes of the south building which is about 30 feet away. damn shame because they are nice buildings, nice balconies to sit out on and enjoy the view, too bad you have to look at laundry. as i said these are nice buildings i'm sure the price tag was in the millions, but some idiot couldn't tell north from south. the surprising thing is that people are actually buying them, must be a helluva price break or people are just numb. had the building been turned around it would have a great view over febrero 27 and northward.

I don't think you can assume than "somebody" didn't know N from S, especially given the scope of the project.

What actually happened more than likely is that these projects were developed at the same time by different developers and architects who had no idea what the other guys were going to do. Did someone make a mistake? No, after all I'm in the same business and there is no way to know what someone is planning to build until permits are issued or almost issued. I'm sure it's this way in the DR too.

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Why do not

why would someone reply DO NOT is there something that happened.That you would like to talk about.we could sort it out on here there are alot of good people.The question was help to build so comment on the informative side please.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ron: If you are going to build here, please stop looking for free information and hire Chip to build it, and get it done on time and in spec. Or any one of a number of engineering firms--thing is with Chip, you can speak the same language...

Calculate 25,000-29,000 DOP$ pers 10 sq. ft. of finished construction--said to be first class. This does not include appliances or furnishings. Your plans must be approved by local and national authorities.

Will say no more.

HB

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Omg

Chip not sure what is the problem.this a place to learn and get information telling me what to do is not the way of helping.I understand you have been on this along time but that does not give you the right to treat people with disrespect.Why are you on this site for information ,or to make contacts and friends,I have been going to the dominican for 20 years I met my wife in the dominican and we are going to have a child.I wish to relocate in the dominican and invest my money. How i do that is my business if you can not offer any information to my question.then just say so.I wonder what your bitter attitude is.what do you do for a living....maybe that will help figure it out.Im a good listener if you want to talk about it.

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Mistake

Chip I am sorry this is not directed at you .It is someone else and they now. Chip you have been nothing but positive and helpful thanks

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chip is not bitter, believe me!!

So you have been coming to the "dominican" ???? Where is that??? It is the Dominican Republic, nothing more and nothing less. In Spanish, you can call it La Dominicana...

20 years worth of visits...good for you, now when you come here and live here you will learn the reality. Good Luck...

HB

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
Read before you comment

I once was reading on here about people making comments before reading the whole post or all of the post in the conversation.If so they whould now what is what.I truely believe people should stand up for them selves and there beliefs.I am truely sorry if I annoyed anybody asking some question in quest for better knowledge.I really thought that is why we are here.NO I am not Dominican.But I have friends and family there My wife is Domincan we have a 5 year old and one in the oven.My future is the DOMINICAN REPUBLIC and that is why I am here.So i have no time for negative or disrespectful answers.If you have answers for me in the helpful requested direction I much appreciate it.I am a person that helps others does not matter who they are or where there from.When I make friends they are good friends always.I believe the same in Business I am friends with all my clients dinners,partys,kids functions.I have not had to advertise once and I am steady with work.I truely believe that is what works, be straight up and honest and good to all and everything will fall in place.That being said you also can not have people walk on you eathier or you will be stepped on in business and in life people become where they dont know where there line to not cross is.well Hillbilly lets talk about your issues with me what are they?You have yet to answer any of my questions?lots of comments though.Where do you live?what do you do?they are the only questions i have, from there maybe i can help sort this out.then you can stop answering for other people and making un helpful comments.

Reactions: DMV123

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Hi Ron, of course HB can always answer for himself, but he's got 50 years in this country, married into this country, and knows everybody in this country...look at his little icon...he's the great Professor in more ways than one. His job is to school people for survival on here...take his words with a grain of salt and then hope and pray you are the recipient of his benevolence at some point again because he does nothing but give, give, give. MIght not be in a pretty package all the time but trust me your stance will change to gratitude if you stick around.

Also analyze your posts vs. his. He's got 14k more posts than you. So...logic should tell you he's been around this block.

ron metzger

Jan 4, 2011
I understand that but what did I do to him.Being around the block and being on here along time does not give you the right ti treat people anyway you want he is not god.