Business is slooow

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Screw the "test."

Mauricio, just go out and kill for some meat.

Actions trump patient faith.

There is a common misconception that Christians just wait for checks to come in the mail. We have to do our part just as diligently as anyone else.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a common misconception that Christians just wait for checks to come in the mail. We have to do our part just as diligently as anyone else.
You implied that Maricio's challenges were some devine test of religious faith.

Screw any "god" who'd play those kinds of games...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"I Feel Your Pain", as "Willie" used to say!
Those of you who work for a living here in the DR ARE, and will continue to be "In Trouble".
The government borrows, and increasingly "Taxes", to finance "White Elephant Projects", just to get their huge "CUT"!
The DR Gov. debt, both internal, and especially external, is HUGE, and GROWING by the day.
From a personal standpoint,I LOVE IT!
My income is all from "OBAMA", and in USA Dollars.
Every time I buy pesos, I get MORE!!!!
When the stores, and streets, are empty, it's easier to get around.
I can now buy a lot of US products in the super markets, CHEAPER, than the Dominican products.
I mean, how can I buy "Kraft Mayo" cheaper than Dominican "Mayo"??
How is pork from Iowa, cheaper than "Carne de Cerdo" from Moca???
The "Worse It Gets", the "Better I Like IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"I Feel Your Pain", as "Willie" used to say!
Those of you who work for a living here in the DR ARE, and will continue to be "In Trouble".
The government borrows, and increasingly "Taxes", to finance "White Elephant Projects", just to get their huge "CUT"!
The DR Gov. debt, both internal, and especially external, is HUGE, and GROWING by the day.
From a personal standpoint,I LOVE IT!
My income is all from "OBAMA", and in USA Dollars.
Every time I buy pesos, I get MORE!!!!
When the stores, and streets, are empty, it's easier to get around.
I can now buy a lot of US products in the super markets, CHEAPER, than the Dominican products.
I mean, how can I buy "Kraft Mayo" cheaper than Dominican "Mayo"??
How is pork from Iowa, cheaper than "Carne de Cerdo" from Moca???
The "Worse It Gets", the "Better I Like IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mr CC, you must be a Carpenter, as you hit the nail on the head again.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm having too much time on my hands (hence my more active presence on dr1?) and my vacation still has to begin.

That could well be true, DR1 had it's busiest month ever in June.

See attachment.

posts.jpg

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
President: Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
[Long pause]
Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
President: In the garden.
Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
President: Spring and summer.
Chance the Gardener: Yes.
President: Then fall and winter.
Benjamin Rand: I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we're upset by the seasons of our economy.
Chance the Gardener: Yes! There will be growth in the spring!
President: Hm. Well, Mr. Gardner, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.
President: I admire your good, solid sense. That's precisely what we lack on Capitol Hill.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Robert,

Damn, i accidentally hit dislike for only the second time in two years...both times accidentally.Sorry.

Frank

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
President: Mr. Gardner, do you agree with Ben, or do you think that we can stimulate growth through temporary incentives?
[Long pause]
Chance the Gardener: As long as the roots are not severed, all is well. And all will be well in the garden.
Chance the Gardener: Yes. In the garden, growth has it seasons. First comes spring and summer, but then we have fall and winter. And then we get spring and summer again.
Benjamin Rand: I think what our insightful young friend is saying is that we welcome the inevitable seasons of nature, but we're upset by the seasons of our economy.
President: Hm. Well, Mr. Gardner, I must admit that is one of the most refreshing and optimistic statements I've heard in a very, very long time.
President: I admire your good, solid sense. That's precisely what we lack on Capitol Hill.

Sometimes rabbits pi$$ on the tomato plants.

I like to watch. :laugh:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
What's going on the last few weeks / months? The economy is in crisis for a while already ofcourse but at least still growing and I had business to do, I was asked for quotes, had very good sales in the first 5 months of 2013, but since about a month it's like if it all dried up. I'm having too much time on my hands (hence my more active presence on dr1?) and my vacation still has to begin. DR was never a country where the summer months slowed down economical activity as much as in Europe, but this year is different.

Anyone having the same experience?

You're not alone; I'm having the same experience. All my businesses are down in earnings but thankfully I put away a bunch of money for rainy days when times were good plus I have no debt or children right now so I'm in a strong position though not as strong as the beginning of last year. If you run a business that deals with tourism you will be hit because the USA has an unofficial unemployment rate of about 23%(the American government lies and says the unemployment rate is just about 8 percent but anyone who runs a business knows this number is BS).

The whole world is having a financial crisis. China has slowed down. Europe is facing multiple problems, such as the situation in Greece, Spain, Italy, etc. I predict we're heading into another Great Depression world wide which will last well into the 2020s. I predict a major stock market crash wthin ithe next three to four years which is why I sold my stock before moving to the DR. I'm expanding my businesses and trying out different things but yeah things are rough, but it is worse for people who didn't prepare. The current stock market rally in the USA is a false rally which sucker in ignorant investors but wise investors such as myself are selling off all our stock and redeploying our capital elsewhere. Also, if you own precious metals I don't need to tell you what happened to gold and silver prices back in April.....because you already probably know. It sucks bad but I'm being patient because I predict a massive gold and silver comeback within the next three to four years.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
[Long pause]
an excellent movie

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
the peso is in freefall, and things are getting more expensive by the day. ergo, less and less disposable income. just wait for a few weeks, when the effects of the recent rash of gas and diesel fuel price increases kick in. they have been holding them steady for a few weeks, but they could not do so forever, so some fireworks are going to start anytime soon.

The freefall of the DR peso is a good news/bad news scenario. It is good news if you're an expat like me who doesn't make his money in pesos, who has access to foreign currencies that are stronger. For me, the freefall of the Dominican peso is great, it means the cost of living in the DR is more affordable. For example, I'm spending less on food because the peso keeps going down. This is because I'm a foreigner that earns/has his money in foreign currency. The lower the peso goes, the better deals I get on everything here. However, if you're a local who only earns his or her money in pesos, you're getting screwed big time. Also, anyone here, Dominican or foreigner, who holds a large part of their money in pesos, is a fool who has no grasp of economics. You want to have as little of your money in DR pesos as possible. Additionally, you want to spend your DR pesos as quickly as possible as well, because when the value of the currency falls you lose. God, I should have been an economist, I have such a mind for the subject. ;)

The one problem with the freefall of the peso is that if it keeps falling Dominicans will take to the street and we could see some serious instability. You would also see an increase in crime. I like the peso being nice and weak, but I don't want it to get too weak. Because if it does it may no longer be safe to live here. Third world countries are tricky. For people who come from developed countries, who have access to stronger currencies, they can come to these countries and enjoy a superior lifestyle, better than what they would get at home........BUT, the trouble is that third world countries are also prone to instability, collapse, war, famine, etc. What I'm basically saying is that I prefer a weak Dominican Republic and a weak currency. But I don't want it to get too weak.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Even agriculture is down. We currently have about 340 students registered and expect around the same as last year. We've lost a number because they can't afford 1000-1200 pesos per month per child. One client who is an AMET guy, has two children and with the rise in the price of goods and his wife's loss of job in La Vega they are not making ends meet.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Make it while the making is good as every economic indicator says things are not going so well.

You guys familiar with a Russian economist named Nikolai Kondratiev? Anyway, he came up with a concept known as the Kondratiev Wave, or the Great Cycle. It basically states that a depression happens every 70 or 80 years. My grandmother is 80 and when she was a baby the USA was just entering the depression. That means in 2013 the world is ripe for another "big one." No question of if it is coming but when. And, here is my next scary prediction. Just as WW2 pulled the world out of the last depression, another major war will bring us out of this one, but this war might possibly involve the usage of nuclear weapons.

Kondratiev wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wars are fought for many reasons, but one of the reasons we rarely hear of is debt. When nations are indebted to each other(as is the case right now), one of the ways to "settle the debts" is a huge war. We're long due for a depression and the recipe is set for another huge war in which millions will once again perish. I don't plan on being one of them. ;)

But don't dispair cobraboy. These are not bad times, these are glorious times. Because if you understand finance and economics, you can become extremely rich in the years ahead. But, even better than this, advances in science and medicine will allow humans in the near future to live much longer lifetimes. What I'm saying is this.....if you can survive the coming depression and war, and become rich during it, after the dust settles you will have access to technologies(nanotech, bioetch, genetics), which will allow you to live hundreds, possibly even thousands of years!! I plan on being one of the "survivors," for the zombie apocalypse is coming!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
....... What I'm basically saying is that I prefer a weak Dominican Republic and a weak currency. But I don't want it to get too weak.

lol.......You sound like Goldiocks.
You are absolutely right of course.
With every tip of the scale there are winners and there are losers.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
My wife's consulting business is about the same as last year which is new since every year has shown an increase. Her clients are all over the World thou none in the D.R. One change is that her clients now do a lot more via internet conference meetings rather then pay for travel expenses. She was gone an average of 2 weeks every month; now she is gone 1 week every 2 months. She makes the same but now we don't rack up the air-miles. We know that her clients are hurting from North American, Europe, Asia and South America.

We do NOT depend on income here in the D.R. but a little gravy is/was nice.
Our "guest" apartments are empty over 50% of the time. Well, one has been empty for a year and a half; one for one year and the other is occupied about half the year. This became a large reason why we discontinued "free" housing for some non-profits that we supported as we found our out-flow was much more then our declined in-flow. No one wanted to kick in a few bucks for the lights.

I've commented before about watching the tourist dive and sail boats and how they have declined over the years. ONE dive or sail boat a week at best. It was 3 of each EVERY day a few years ago.

My neighbors big house that he rents sits empty while his bills continue. He is lucky to have a long weekend renter once a month. Up to a couple of years ago, 2 weeks a month rented and he was a happy man. He and his friends own several condo's and they sit empty most of the time too.

We use to get offers every other month on some property we have for sale, very low-ball and dreaming offers. Nothing in this last year or more. Even the dreamers have stopped dreaming?

We knew well before moving here, or any 3rd World Country, that we needed to be self sufficient. One being that we owe no one and our income is out of Country. We also have our retirement, though way down in value over the years, it has never been touched. We also saw cost of living trends that alarmed us here in the D.R. so we, little by little, changed by adding solar and our water resources and has been on going for years and have reduced our monthly Electric bills from over D.P 20K per month to almost nothing. We estimate that we can go over a year without Edenorte or Coraplata IF we had to. We could even ride our horses to go "shopping"?

As CC stated and we are much the same in this regard. Our income is not dependent on the Dominican economy and it's in U.S. $'s. Like him, I like the price of some of the imported food items and less people. Almost's makes shopping fun! We are waiting for the D.P. to hit around 50 then we will start buying pesos. CC....... Thinking at 55 will be a really good buy price? But I will hold back a little more then I did the last time it hit 55.

Will things get better? No one really knows. I think NOT for a long time if ever. When the P.D. hit 55 about 10 years ago everything went up in price. EVERYTHING. When the peso dropped to around 20, NOTHING dropped in price.

Edit. I just posted and saw. Sorry this is long and long winded. lol.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Will things get better? No one really knows. I think NOT for a long time if ever.

Things will get better for some people eventually. But mankind is about to go through a very painful period. Not only do I believe World War 3 will happen, it has to happen. As grisly as wars are, they are one of the ways that mankind advances to the next level technologically. Think about all the advances that were made during World War 2. If you guys were paying attention, Russia just had the biggest military exercises this week since the Soviet days, they had 160,000 troops deployed to the Russian far east. If this doesn't tell you something nothing will. Russia is clearly preparing for something.

The Chinese are also preparing for war. The USA owes China $1 trillion+ and is not in a position to pay. The Chinese are ****ed and want their money, if you think the weapons China is building are for show and tell you're mistaken. Multiple Chinese generals have said the country is preparing for war with the USA. I predict the next big war is between China/Russia/USA. A Dominican woman recently asked me why I moved to the DR. I told her in Spanish, as best as I could, that I believe a major war is coming and I don't want to be in the continental USA when it happens. America will go from day to night within less than 48 hours and if you're not prepared you're screwed. The DR doesn't have a lot going for it BUT the one advantage the DR does have is that no one has a reason to target the country for a nuclear strike. The Russians and Chinese have plenty of reasons to target the USA.

If you're smart, you own some gold. If you're really smart, you own silver to. If you're really really smart, you own a bunch of stored food. And the smartest of the smart are either leaving the USA, or if they're staying in the USA they're moving away from major cities especially near military bases. Things are about to get really nasty, and everyone is about to learn the meaning of Social Darwinism, because only the most adaptable are going to survive the coming sht storm. Good luck to all, you will need it.

Last edited: