businesses employing illegals will be fined

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Thus the rise in prices as producers will have to pay a higher wage which will be passed on to the consumer.

I am not saying it is right to underpay people but my point is...get ready for skyrocketing food prices.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Let them pay what should be paid to the workers. Sky rocketing food prices are happening worldwide and it will continue to accelerate.Whether third world or first world. There will come a time when rice and beans is all we will have to eat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe this will force the government to reform codigo laboral. it's high time to get rid of this liquidation bullcrap.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Let them pay what should be paid to the workers. Sky rocketing food prices are happening worldwide and it will continue to accelerate.Whether third world o first world. There will come a time when eating rice and beans is all we will have to eat.

That and the extra 50% that will be added by the producers at the time as no one really knows the true cost....so they can slide it in.

I love rice and beans...eat it most day as it is....some on the stove right now for dinner.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Mr. Taveras has warned these people they will be deported and their employers fined. So, all of the people here illegally who would normally go to work during the day to make an honest living (given their circumstances) are just going to stay home? And do what? Its not like they are going to just hop on the first bus crossing the border back over to Haiti. Are they really going to round up tens of thousands of Haitians and other illegals to deport them somewhere else? Sounds expensive.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
While there is always a Haitian component to these programs/announcements and I am sure there will be some coverage of Haitians being sent packing; I think we'll see pretty early on that the illegal gringos who are here working will make up the bulk of the news items at the end of the day. Gringos are a much easier problem to deal with expeditiously and tossing a bunch of them won't raise the ire of the int'l community.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Of course it is and they do not want that changed. So they are using the excuse that there will be no one else who will do the job.
That's pretty much it. A few days ago Monchy Fadul was complaining that the reason only around 5,000 Haitians have been regularized is because most of the business owners with Haitian workers are not giving them the permit that would help them get into the regularization plan. They even had a meeting with the sugar producers and they promised to give identity papers to their Haitian employees so they could qualify for the regularization plan but up to now none of the sugar owners have kept their word.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the comments in el nacional article i linked earlier today are very telling. people understand very well the disparity between haitian and dominican salaries. plus there are many references to trujillo.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The rise in the price of food will go the same way as of new real estate, they will attempt to pass the added cost to consumers but the market can only support an X amount, the results will be that a lot of businesses will go bankrupt as their sales plummet and then, as a measure of preservation, the prices will either drop in absolute terms or with time in value and producers/constructors/merchants will have to accept the new lower profit margins. The business owners that are too inefficient or incapable to adjust to the new conditions will either partner with or sell to business owners that are able to do so while others will simply close their doors. The market will be better off with a predominance of more efficient businesses both for producers and consumers.

There are plenty of countries nearby without a surplus underground workforce as large relative to their economy as the DR has with the Haitians and they haven't collapsed nor is life more expensive in most of them. If a relative surplus of workers is necessary to keep food prices low, then there are thousands of businesses around the world, especially in developed countries, that shouldn't exist.

The argument some here are using to justify the use of massive numbers of illegal Haitians reminds me of people that claim that cheap labor is necessary to be an exporting power while I look at Germany remain in the top 5 exporters in the world despite it has one of the most expensive workforces on the planet and most people earn enough to live decent lives.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
In agriculture and construction, too.
Most Haitians are hard working, honest and skilled, simply the better option IMO.

donP

wow, i find that diff. to believe...i know they have schools but schools cost money and most haitens are "POOOR" so skilled at digging a hole? being a skilled concrete laborer? honest? try lending to them? of ourse if they have 1k lemons they might kno the math...for sale...1k x25= but where did he get those lemons????

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
For 19 years we have employed Dominicans and Haitians.
First Dominicans then we switched to Haitians.
All receive(d) the same pay.

donP
So you had Dominicans and Haitians doing the same jobs and getting paid the same. Exactly my point regarding those who talk about "jobs Dominicans won't do".

david_

Dec 8, 2012
For 19 years we have employed Dominicans and Haitians.
First Dominicans then we switched to Haitians.
All receive(d) the same pay.

The Haitians say 'gracias' when they receive their pay. They bring us fruits that we did not know they grew on the finca. They bring us the hens' eggs. They do not syphon diesel from our tanks. They do not steal chicks and carry them off under their 'gorras'. They arrive punctually and do not leave early. I have never found them sleeping during work hours. They do not lie. The finca has never been that 'limpio' since they came. We like them.
We pay the money they have to pay to corrupt Dominican officials at the border (when they go on a home leave).

donP

Ever thought about moving to Haiti? Might not be too bad.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
The rise in the price of food will go the same way as of new real estate, they will attempt to pass the added cost to consumers but the market can only support an X amount, the results will be that a lot of businesses will go bankrupt as their sales plummet and then, as a measure of preservation, the prices will either drop in absolute terms or with time in value and producers/constructors/merchants will have to accept the new lower profit margins. The business owners that are too inefficient or incapable to adjust to the new conditions will either partner with or sell to business owners that are able to do so while others will simply close their doors. The market will be better off with a predominance of more efficient businesses both for producers and consumers.

There are plenty of countries nearby without a surplus underground workforce as large relative to their economy as the DR has with the Haitians and they haven't collapsed nor is life more expensive in most of them. If a relative surplus of workers is necessary to keep food prices low, then there are thousands of businesses around the world, especially in developed countries, that shouldn't exist.

The argument some here are using to justify the use of massive numbers of illegal Haitians reminds me of people that claim that cheap labor is necessary to be an exporting power while I look at Germany remain in the top 5 exporters in the world despite it has one of the most expensive workforces on the planet and most people earn enough to live decent lives.

Not that expensive workforce in germany, compared to other EU countrys, even pretty cheap.
But I get ure point.

Lots of devoleped countrys IMPORT food products and focus on higher added value products for export.
Also if u have a mechanised agriculture, it eliminates loads of jobs.
Farmers either had to adapt or die. More of an investment buisness now, with all its downsides. ( OGM, pesticides, salty food.....).

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I hope they start with the all inclusive hotels and then the tour operators.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Many of the Government workers are working illegally as in without contract, and this is within the head offices in San to Domino. I know several people working without contract. It came to my attention when a friend was sacked after refusing to step out with her boss. I said they can't do that, you've been there 8 years (she worked in the gun licensing department), what reason did they give. No reason, and so they really can't do that without at least a decent hand out. Contract? What contract. No one in the gun licensing department has a contract and so can be dismissed at will, or lack of will to get jiggy with the boss.

Big companies such as Stream could not oporate without illegals, I know that over half the workforce at Stream do not have cedar, be they Dominican or Haitian, European or yanks.

This is just crazy repetition of life in DR. Loads of hot air, nothing changes, and the course try just continues to go down the pan, a pan that was a hole in the garden to start with.

Moronic is my opinion on all that claims to show interest in change here. When people just accept that it is what it is, get on with it without expectation, then people can be content here. Those who are optimistic in DR are generally miserable.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
So you had Dominicans and Haitians doing the same jobs and getting paid the same. Exactly my point regarding those who talk about "jobs Dominicans won't do".
In reality he pays the Haitian less because those wages should had risen with time. That reminds me of the excuse many constructors like to use, which is to say that its not true that they pay Haitian less than Dominicans because they have some Dominican employees and they are not paid more. They don't say anything about how wages are rising much slower than they used to, why real wages are either stagnant or declining, and why many Dominicans that were motivated to work construction when the wage levels allowed them to live decent lives are no longer motivated now that the prevailing wages in the sector are so low relative to the cost of living that 20-something single and desperate Haitian men that are willing to sleep in the construction sites and don't have an actual family to support and the most desperateof Dominicans are the only people willing to work.

Had the extra competition created by the massive numbers of Haitians never come into existence, wages in the sector would had been higher and people who actually want something to show for their work will actually find the motivation to apply for those jobs.

Heck, here are unemployed Dominican construction workers saying they are willing to work but no one wants to hire them because Haitians are abundant and are depressing the wage level or at least reducing the rate of growth of wages which is effectively an indirect way of cheapening that labor. In addition to that, the Haitian workers are not given benefits that the law requires for all formal employees, employers don't have to pay for their pension or anything else.

150,000 Dominican construction workers willing to work but can't because of the effect the Haitian presence is having in the sector. They are effectively being discriminated in their own country for the sole reason of wanting to earn enough to live decent lives.

[video=youtube;ZXHcUPR2HX8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXHcUPR2HX8[/video]

There are no subtitles in the video, but they are saying that thousands of Dominican construction workers can't get jobs in the construction industry for the reasons I already explained.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Different results

Yes, same job/work, same pay.

However, there was quite a difference in performance and the work ethic of the 2 groups. ;)

"The Haitians say 'gracias' when they receive their pay. They bring us fruits that we did not know they grew on the finca. They bring us the hens' eggs. They do not syphon diesel from our tanks. They do not steal chicks and carry them off under their 'gorras'. They arrive punctually and do not leave early. I have never found them sleeping during work hours. They do not lie. The finca has never been that 'limpio' since they came."

donP